US troops rocking the Space Marines

Started by undercovergeek, September 18, 2012, 11:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

W8taminute

Great article undercovergeek.  I am fascinated with the subject on how military men play wargames that we all know and love.  My perception is whether it is an FPS or a TBS game a military man will have the advantage over us civies. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

besilarius

When SPI was still rolling strong, there were a lot of military playing board games and microarmor.
In Alexandria, Va, next to the Pentagon, there were at least three very active gaming groups.  Terrible Swift Sword, on Gettysburg, was done to death.
AH's Longest Day, a classic monster boardgame, had one group that played with four or five people per side, doing the whole game.  It ran for about nineteen months, when one player left the military and moved away.
The mega games on the East Front, Drang Nac Osten by GDW, was another favorite.
The microarmor group was led by various army officers, usually captains and majors, who were actual tank unit commanders.  They all did World War II, but given half a chance, the M-60s and T72s flooded game tables.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

undercovergeek

I've spent more time than I care to mention trying to remember how the hell I found it to see what other articles there were.... Age is catching up with me!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: besilarius on September 18, 2012, 06:10:52 PMThe microarmor group was led by various army officers, usually captains and majors, who were actual tank unit commanders.

They might've been once upon a time.  But if they were stationed in DC, they weren't commanding anything with a tank at that point.  The nearest tanks were Ft Knox and Ft Stewart.  (Unless you count ARNG units)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers