What Are You Doing to Cope With Depressing News in 2020?

Started by airboy, July 26, 2020, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Since I don't have any actual friends, I have 3 Emotional Support Drinking Dummies I set-up around the table at pool-side and we discuss non-stressful topics while we get plastered. I try not to argue with them because it upsets me, and because they usually win. The bastards never buy either. Oh, I also drink a lot. Did I already mention that?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^My daughters have done some sleep away camp and long trips with other families for about a week. When they're here, which is all the time for the last four months, they usually drive me nuts 4-5 times a day. When they're gone, the house is lonely. Same for all parents and families, I would hope.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

solops

I am having a good time. Nothing really changed for us as we are retired. We do not eat out as much. The news is not really any more depressing than it has been for years. It's just that now people are trapped at home and are being subjected to a constant bombardment of newsworthy (alarming, depressing) stories...same stuff my retired b-tt has been hearing for years. Nothing new, the threatening clouds just wear different skins. Remember, it is rarely as bad as the hysterical talking heads make it out to be and things take longer to fall apart than they theorize. I have been watching the country fall apart in slow motion since the Johnson Administration. For a long time our spirits have been lifted by doing as others have mentioned - limit news intake, read the news rather than listen to it, stockpile some food and other supplies and be helpful and cheerful. It's just as easy to be happy as it is to be fearful. And I am cheerfully looking into body armor. Odd that JH would mention that. Shopping is Fun!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

^Wow two great sig-worthy quotes in just one post:

'I have been watching the country fall apart in slow motion since the Johnson Administration.'

I am cheerfully looking into body armor.

:notworthy:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My wife tells me my body doesn't need armor, more like fortifying she says. Not really sure what she means by this.  ??? Must be something good though because she laughs when she says it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on July 27, 2020, 02:14:37 PM
And I am cheerfully looking into body armor. Odd that JH would mention that. Shopping is Fun!

Let me know if you want any feedback or advice. I researched the $hit out of the various plates available on the market before I committed to mine. I am happy to report that I'm thrilled with the set I settled on, although admittedly, I have not been shot while wearing them. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 27, 2020, 11:53:35 AM
Since I don't have any actual friends, I have 3 Emotional Support Drinking Dummies I set-up around the table at pool-side and we discuss non-stressful topics while we get plastered. I try not to argue with them because it upsets me, and because they usually win. The bastards never buy either. Oh, I also drink a lot. Did I already mention that?

I have dogs at home.  I never drink alone - even when the wife is out of town.

airboy

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 27, 2020, 10:08:42 AM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 27, 2020, 08:30:43 AM
I find it all pretty fascinating.

Parts of it remind me of the reformation in Europe in the 16th century.

It reminds me of 1968. Which having lived through it seemed more chaotic. I will agree that is an arguable point.

I have limited my TV news intake for years. TV is good for updates on immediate emergencies but not so much for the type of long form analysis that you really need to understand complicated situations. I love my local newspaper.

Staying busy at work. Not an issue since I can work from home. The problem is learning to disengage to get some downtime.
Home projects. A common theme.
Trying to get back to studying for my FAA written test.

Life goes on. My daughter left this week for a new job in Boston. She is smart and tough and she will do fine but that's still 1500 miles away from home.  :'(

Dr. Quest:

Congratulations on you and Ms. Quest on successfully raising a productive daughter who moved out of the house!

Although perhaps a little sad at this moment, the alternative is far, far worse.

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 27, 2020, 03:52:39 PM
Quote from: solops on July 27, 2020, 02:14:37 PM
And I am cheerfully looking into body armor. Odd that JH would mention that. Shopping is Fun!

Let me know if you want any feedback or advice. I researched the $hit out of the various plates available on the market before I committed to mine. I am happy to report that I'm thrilled with the set I settled on, although admittedly, I have not been shot while wearing them.

Just out of curiosity, what model/brand of body armor did you get? 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

DoctorQuest

Quote from: airboy on July 27, 2020, 06:09:44 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 27, 2020, 10:08:42 AM
Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on July 27, 2020, 08:30:43 AM
I find it all pretty fascinating.

Parts of it remind me of the reformation in Europe in the 16th century.

It reminds me of 1968. Which having lived through it seemed more chaotic. I will agree that is an arguable point.

I have limited my TV news intake for years. TV is good for updates on immediate emergencies but not so much for the type of long form analysis that you really need to understand complicated situations. I love my local newspaper.

Staying busy at work. Not an issue since I can work from home. The problem is learning to disengage to get some downtime.
Home projects. A common theme.
Trying to get back to studying for my FAA written test.

Life goes on. My daughter left this week for a new job in Boston. She is smart and tough and she will do fine but that's still 1500 miles away from home.  :'(

Dr. Quest:

Congratulations on you and Ms. Quest on successfully raising a productive daughter who moved out of the house!

Although perhaps a little sad at this moment, the alternative is far, far worse.

O0
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD

I have neuropathy caused by my lifelong battle with TMJD, and have finally been ordered by my doctor not to drink for.....a long while.

So....lots of more game whoring and getting into restoring my Kenner Star Wars collection with original parts.  Not collecting new carded or loose, but taking what I had from the 70's on and trying to find original accessories ect.

It's going to be a fun but expensive side hobby.   Might get me into collecting missing pieces.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

Damn that's tough Sir Andrew but your health is priceless and so has to be priority one.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, not happy about it but it is what it is. 

It's hopefully not permanent.  The pain's pretty sucky, numbness in the extremities and pins and needles everywhere else. 

If we can get it under control I can drink occasionally again.   I told my Doc I'm having Scotch on the holidays and he said, on our remote call, that's fine but be careful. 

I'll fill it with other game/hobby related vices.

I'll probably cheat here and there too.   >:D

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback