Different Studios, same battle.

Started by greengiant, July 12, 2022, 09:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greengiant

Hi all,

So as we know, some theaters of war are very popular, often being recreated through different titles. As an example, DC Barbarossa and GG WitE. Obviously the levels of complexity here are vastly different (as do the time lines in that GG takes you much further), but I'm sure there are more examples out there where the level of detail and scope is more similar. So the question I have is thus: Have you purchased a game before that focuses on a campaign or battle that was already covered in a different game? If so, why reasons led you to purchasing the other title?

Just to be absolutely clear, I am in no way knocking doing this. In fact, I own two games that do focus on the same operation. For me, the review of DC Barbarossa (had never played any of the DC games before but was vaguely familiar with the engine thanks to ATG by the same studio) convinced me to purchase it. The game I already had approached things from your more standard war game way of doing it; very little political intrigue or anything like that; just the nuts and bolts needed to simulate a war/battle. DC introduced me to a very unique way of tackling political issues that had a massive impact on the eastern front. Hell, it was because of Hitler and his cronies arguing over what to do next after their first few victories that became a major contributing factor in their defeat and consequently being pushed all the way back home. DC Barbarossa also completely eliminated the air control factor. At first I was a little shocked about this one until I read the dev notes; essentially there really was no air war at the beginning. It was a turkey shoot/slaughter at the hands of the Germans since the Soviets were literally sending out guys with zero flight experience and had just been handed the keys to the ignition and told 'go fight those dudes', and when they were not flying the planes were all nicely parked/clumped together on airfields just begging to be bombed out of existence.

Anyways, for me, this was an instant purchase after reading up on it despite having a different title covering the same campaign.

So, what were your reasons for purchasing a second/third game that covered the same bit as another game did?

Jarhead0331

Because I'm a wargaming whore who pretty much purchases anything new that even tangentially involves military conflict. Most remain unplayed. Sorry I do not have any more meaningful feedback on this topic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

In much the same way that I have purchased several pen and paper RPGs covering the same subject (i.e. Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.), I personally find it interesting to see how a designer/company puts their stamp on things in terms of mechanics, "flavor," and so on with the background material being the common starting point.

greengiant

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 12, 2022, 10:21:29 AM
In much the same way that I have purchased several pen and paper RPGs covering the same subject (i.e. Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.), I personally find it interesting to see how a designer/company puts their stamp on things in terms of mechanics, "flavor," and so on with the background material being the common starting point.

In a way I suppose that would be my reason too.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 12, 2022, 10:02:06 AM
Because I'm a wargaming whore who pretty much purchases anything new that even tangentially involves military conflict. Most remain unplayed. Sorry I do not have any more meaningful feedback on this topic.

Not at all, I asked for other users reasons and you shared yours. I'm the same with pinball video games; I see pinball game, I buy pinball game.

ArizonaTank

All wargames are basically the designer's interpretation of historical events. So they are all different in some way. I very much enjoy playing with those differences.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Pete Dero

Because I'm a wargaming whore patron.

I guess I always want to believe the next one will be the best one.

Gusington

Pinball! A greengiant of wealth and taste.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Zulu1966

100% ditto
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 12, 2022, 05:20:03 PM

100% ditto

Technically, I think Jarhead should describe himself as a wargaming John, but that conversation starts to turn squishy in a hurry.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 12, 2022, 06:06:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 12, 2022, 05:20:03 PM

100% ditto

Technically, I think Jarhead should describe himself as a wargaming John, but that conversation starts to turn squishy in a hurry.

:DD
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

greengiant

Quote from: Gusington on July 12, 2022, 11:47:28 AM
Pinball! A greengiant of wealth and taste.

Hehe, nice to meet a fellow pinball addict. For when I get home from a day so hectic that my brain has turned to mush, pinball it is! I've been trying to master one of the Williams tables in FX3 for a while now, but it is really kicking my behind.

Gusington

When I am retired and living in an estate on Corsica, one of my game rooms will be devoted to pinball and 1980s arcade video games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Galaga kept me off the streets at night. It also damned near made me bankrupt.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2022, 09:45:51 AM
When I am retired and living in an estate on Corsica, one of my game rooms will be devoted to pinball and 1980s arcade video games.

Roadblasters FTW

I'd love to have a dedicated silverball machine. Maybe some day.
Insert witty comment here.

Destraex

I enjoy both variety including new theatres and armies as well as ever better games with better more realistic mechanics. So the same theatre can be repeated in this way many times over. Add to that that as you say, games keep coming out on the same theatre, so I have little choice some times. Another reason is graphics and friends. If I find a definitive game, which rarely happens, I stick with it for many years. But I am yet to find something really definitive that could not be improved upon in some way. The dream of 1:1 10v10 pvp or coop napoleonice realistic real time but slow enough to play with realistic (scourge of war style) messages and HITS "breath" that also has amazingly nice 3D graphics with weather effects that affect each soldier and orders delay as well as being amazingly fun for instance just has  never been there. They have all been too gamey, too cheap and nasty but with great mechanics or we have just been missing the computing power to pull it off.

So every now and then I give things a go. Star Citizen, Steel Division 2 and a few others come close to a good mix of multiplayer, graphics and depth of mechanics without beeing too dry. But the perfect game for me would probably be a AAA graphics, scourge of war style (but more detailed) 1:1 system with a great multiplayer interface. NOT GOING to happen I do not think. Add to that that I would love strategic layers all the way from tactical all the way up to the top. Something you could choose on any given day... i.e. I don't want to do the political layer for example, just put me in charge of the army.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"