New home library

Started by Jarhead0331, November 12, 2019, 11:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

^ Thanks brother.  I've been keeping aquariums my whole life, I got it covered.  Appreciate the offer, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It's a great office Toonces.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Nice set of books.  We have discarded a huge number of physical books due to both of our allergies.  Almost everything is now acid free - which means books I bought in hardback when they were first printed and my statistics/finance/business library.  And cookbooks, lots of cookbooks.  About everything else is gone.

Toonces

I'd really like to see some more Groghead libraries.

I find a few different aspects of this intriguing. 

First, anytime I see anyone being interviewed in their home and there is a bookcase behind them, I inevitably spend the entire time trying to read the spines of their books in the background.  I just find it endlessly fascinating to see what other people consider worthy of retaining as reading material.

Second, along the same lines, we wargamers tend to be pretty well-read.  I'd be curious how many of us have some sort of bookcase of war-related books.  I suspect most, if not all (unless allergies prevent it).

Finally, I watched an interesting video on Netflix or Prime called The Booksellers.  There was one person that said something in an interview during the video that really resonated with me.  The guy was going through an estate sale of books and said that a home library tells you a lot about a person, their intellectual interests and what was important to them, in a way that is very unique.  I find that if you look at my bookshelf photos you get a pretty good idea, just in those pictures, of who I am and what interests me.

Let's get this thread jump-started.  I know my library is not nearly so clean as it was in those pics...looks more like my son's room right now LOL.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

I miss my full wall home mancave bookcase.   :'( 
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

I hear ya.  When I lived in Norfolk, 12+ years ago now, we had 5 (!) bedrooms, one of which was my own personal man-cave room with built-ins.  I had probably 3 times as many books then as I have now, and I"m not exaggerating.  I mean, a totally fucking epic library of books.

Over the years and several moves I've been forced to continually thin my collection to what I have now.  It's tragic.  I had to go to Groton, CT for business about two years ago.  There is probably the best used book store in the world in Mystic called The Book Barn.  Before I left Newport, RI for San Diego, I dropped off 7 (!) big moving boxes of books at Book Barn for like $200...maybe 1/10-1/20 their actual value.  But I knew I'd be going into smaller quarters in San Diego so it had to be done.

Anyway, when I went to Groton I  had an opportunity to hit Book Barn one evening and man alive.  I'm going through their collection and time after time I'm seeing books I essentially gave away and, in any other circumstance, would have bought for myself.  It broke my heart, and I'm not even kidding.

From here on out, you guys are going to have to bury me with my books.  I'll never sell a book again; I'd rather give it away to a friend than to sell it to some thief for a buck.  But...Book Barn's collection is pretty fantastic, and cheap to boot. 

First world problems, man.