Main Menu

Battle Fleet 2

Started by steve58, June 03, 2014, 08:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Just saw this on RPS.  It looks a lot more my style than the RTS game being discussed in the VaS thread.  Hope they add in a Single player Japanese campaign...

Turn based fleet gameplay
Aim and fire each ship's entire complement of weaponry, including torpedoes and high explosive 14" guns
3D models of WW2 era ships from US and Japanese factions
Ship customization and weapon layout
Single player US campaign
Hotseat and online multiplayer
Strategic Commands including airstrikes, minefields, sabotage and more
Fog of war with line of sight hidden by islands
Island defenses and airfields

Looks like it'll also be on Greenlight

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Boggit

Quote from: steve58 on June 03, 2014, 08:45:54 AM
Just saw this on RPS.  It looks a lot more my style than the RTS game being discussed in the VaS thread.  Hope they add in a Single player Japanese campaign...

Turn based fleet gameplay
Aim and fire each ship's entire complement of weaponry, including torpedoes and high explosive 14" guns
3D models of WW2 era ships from US and Japanese factions
Ship customization and weapon layout
Single player US campaign
Hotseat and online multiplayer
Strategic Commands including airstrikes, minefields, sabotage and more
Fog of war with line of sight hidden by islands
Island defenses and airfields

Looks like it'll also be on Greenlight

It looks really good. It reminds me a little of Leviathan Warships game. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

The only immediate downside I can see is that gunfire seems way too accurate, especially at long ranges.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

capitalj

Hi everyone, I'm the developer of Battle Fleet 2. Thanks for posting up the link to it here!

Yes, you can choose either US or Japanese side in the campaign.

Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 10:55:32 AM
The only immediate downside I can see is that gunfire seems way too accurate, especially at long ranges.
It's definitely harder to hit at longer distances, but if you can estimate the range accurately you can start to do some damage at max range.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the game.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: capitalj on June 03, 2014, 12:17:48 PMHi everyone, I'm the developer of Battle Fleet 2. Thanks for posting up the link to it here!

welcome!  Poke around all you want, and if you've got any questions, send up a flare :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Rayfer

I like the attached trailer....my be a good game in the making!

Boggit

Quote from: capitalj on June 03, 2014, 12:17:48 PM
Hi everyone, I'm the developer of Battle Fleet 2. Thanks for posting up the link to it here!

Yes, you can choose either US or Japanese side in the campaign.

Quote from: Boggit on June 03, 2014, 10:55:32 AM
It's definitely harder to hit at longer distances, but if you can estimate the range accurately you can start to do some damage at max range.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the game.
Welcome aboard! Tell us more about the campaign, and whether you're going to do a Japanese campaign?

capitalj

So the campaign is an open ended strategic map, somewhat similar Axis & Allies (but with naval units only). You can play either as the US or Japanese side and you start with territories that are based on the time around the battle of Midway (or just after). Each turn you can move any of your ships individually or as groups, as well as build new ships based on how many Prestige Points you have. You get points from owning territories and destroying enemy ships in battles. When you attack an enemy territory a battle is started, which is the core of the game.

Many of the 30 available territories are based on real world locations built from satellite imagery, so places like Iwo Jima, Midway, Wake, Guadalcanal are recreated in the game (although the scale is not exact as ships would be tiny compared to actual islands and make the terrain redundant tactically in many cases)  :)

The campaign is single player only at this time, but definitely has the potential for multiplayer in the future. I am also hoping to add in some more scripted missions "Opportunity Missions" that come up from time to time to give some more variety to the types of encounters.. but that probably won't make it into the initial release.

Boggit

Sounds good. :) Are the islands tough to take? Are there any logistics limitations regarding Amphibious ops, recreating the issues of keeping the battle going e.g at Guadalcanal? Is the submarine campaign modeled? Do you use prestige as the currency for new units? Do core units carry over? Sorry for all the questions, but you've piqued my interest.

capitalj

The islands aren't actually quite that complex at this point :)

There are no amphibious or ground force operations. You don't have to actually take over the island, just destroy all enemy ships/airfields/coastal guns and once the map is clear of enemies it is yours in the campaign. That kind of thing is an awesome idea, so I'l try to incorporate it into a future update. As the game expands in the future I definitely plan to improve on things like this and add in some more depth to a few different parts. I'm happy to hear any other feedback or suggestions like that so let me know what else you would like to see.

There are no submarines in the initial release, but I do have the 3D models ready, they just require some complex code changes that will have to wait until a later update.

Yes, prestige points are basically the currency used to build ships.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'core units'.

Nefaro

Quote from: capitalj on June 04, 2014, 01:23:58 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'core units'.

That's an old PC wargame term referring to your persistent forces that carry over from mission-to-mission in a campaign.  Your personal ones that you build up. 

In order to spice things up, such hex-based wargames would often give you a "core" set of units that you will always fight with (and improve) on every map.  For example, you may be an Infantry Company Commander with control over a few platoons worth of infantry squads along with their machinegun and mortar sections.  However, each scenario/mission also had extra forces to "lend" you so that there was some more variety, both in what you controlled and what the opposing side could have and still allow a win.  In the previous example, a certain scenario might give you use of a platoon of tanks in addition to your "core" infantry company units.  The tanks wouldn't carry over to future missions but your "core" units would.  Reciprocally, this would also allow the opposing side to also field extra forces; probably their own tanks or Anti-tank guns/missiles in the example.

The easiest example I could think of was using the old John Tiller's Campaign Series but others used this same type of force variety in their campaigns.

jomni

Core units are used for campaigns broken down into sequential scenarios.

I think this game has a strategic map like total war. So all units are core.

Gusington

There are coastal guns? Fantastic. A Great War version of this would be squeal worthy.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 04, 2014, 09:41:28 AM
There are coastal guns? Fantastic. A Great War version of this would be squeal worthy.

Grown men should never squeal. No matter what.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

At least he didn't TeeHee.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus