Holiday Game Swag -What Did You Get?

Started by Ian C, December 22, 2018, 04:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

What - no Steam sale thread?

No purchases yet but Cold Waters and Assassins Creed Odyssey are -50% off and Jurassic Park Evolution is -75% off.

Huw the Poo

I had my eye on Cold Waters but two things put me off.  One, it seems like each combat feels like a scenario, and not part of a dynamic world like the Silent Hunter series.  Two, patrolling is limited to dragging your ship around a strategic map, running into "encounters".  Is that right?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on December 22, 2018, 04:40:39 AM
What - no Steam sale thread?

People have been discussing it in the...wait for it...sales thread.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Jarhead0331

Hahaha! That's too priceless to delete!

It's cool people can post their holiday game swag here...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 22, 2018, 11:53:41 AM
Hahaha! That's too priceless to delete!

It's cool people can post their holiday game swag here...

Thread title edited.

Phantom

I got Cold Waters in the sale - for the most part it is as they claim "the spiritual successor to Red Storm Rising" (that I played to death when it came out) with one huge caveat - NO "AAR" REPLAYS !!!! - can you believe that?

nelmsm

Picked up the following so far:

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa
Surviving Mars
Wars of Napolean
Arsenal of Democracy

Yskonyn

I was tempted to buy a very bad looking Destiny Christmas pullover, but... I didn't.

No games bought so far either.
Red Dead 2 and Warframe will lead me into the new year just fine with some Elite, DCS and the various PBEM games ongoing as well.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 22, 2018, 06:04:39 AM
I had my eye on Cold Waters but two things put me off.  One, it seems like each combat feels like a scenario, and not part of a dynamic world like the Silent Hunter series.  Two, patrolling is limited to dragging your ship around a strategic map, running into "encounters".  Is that right?

You're more or less right.  I'd characterize the combat more like Total War, where you're zooming into the tactical side for combat from the operational layer.  And yes, patrolling is dragging your ship around, hopefully with purpose, running into encounters.  For example, if you're mission is to intercept a wolfpack heading for the GIUK gap, you might want to sit at a chokepoint, find deep water where they're likely to run through enroute, etc.  If you're playing to win, you put more thought into it than just randomly dragging around the map.

My beef with Cold Waters is that all of the engagements end up being in direct path acoustic range.  There's no ability to use the better sensors on your U.S. sub to get contact 30 miles out and maneuver yourself into a position of advantage when they get close.  You always start out in front of the enemy, with the enemy heading towards you, and you're forced with a decision to turn right or left to get out of the way...usually before you have enough TMA to know the base course of  the enemy.

Even with that limitation, it's a fun game.  It's far easier to sit down for a few engagements with Cold Waters than it is for the brain-burn and time-consuming Silent Hunter.  But you have to appreciate Cold Waters for what it is.  It's not SH or Dangerous Waters by far.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

Thanks very much Toonces.  Yeah, you pretty much confirmed my fears.  I just want Silent Hunter in a modern setting goddammit!

Oh well, saved some cash.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

So far this might be a first for me this Christmas but currently no plans to buy anything. Combination of dealing with a chronic home family medical issue, new job and just too many games that I haven't played. Nothing has come out that was compelling enough to overcome these barriers.

Con

FarAway Sooner

Think I'm going to pick up Gauntlet:  It's on sale for $5!!

jomni

Nothing really. Got the Shock Force upgrade but that's not on sale.