NOW I'M OUT TO GET HIM! -- DC1:Blitz JRP vs Barthheart [Completed]

Started by JasonPratt, March 19, 2017, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Let me add that if Barth gets his AARs up first, that's fine, don't worry. :) My working theory is that actually playing the turns takes first priority, working on AARs second. So there's bound to be some lag, expanded by the complexity of the AARs.

Until then, for a bit of a teaser on Turn One, let me report my turn-end message to Vance: "Recon by HQ is the VERY ESSENCE of Blitzkrieg! :D "

Also, things should end a bit more quickly in any case, since at most there can only be 13-1/2 turns in the Polish scenario (and that's assuming I spend half my political points up front, otherwise there can only be 11-1/2 turns. The "half-turn" represents Germany's final push for victory at the end if the game runs that long, against which Poland does not get a reply: I get one more turn than Barth does.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 24, 2017, 10:18:28 AM
My working theory is that actually playing the turns takes first priority, working on AARs second.

That's the dumbest theory I've ever heard. Now get to it  :D
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

For what it's worth, until today I hadn't had a safe three or four hours to play my turn, so I worked on the AAR in the smaller batches. (Turn time, a little over 4 hours.)

But Turn 2 is now pinged to Barth.  <:-)

Edited to add: and then more AAR work until I picked up a drilling headache; then food; then more AAR; then more headache. Then benedryl and tylenol, then sleep.

Whereupon I spent a majority of my dreaming time last night DREAMING ABOUT THE DANG GAME!  :pullhair:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

The first (and zeroth) AAR is practically complete; I'm only missing a bit of flair added to the final push of Turn One. Which I almost certainly won't be able to add until Wednesday afternoon/night. But progression is progressing.

Strictly speaking you should read our turns in order of me first, then Barth; but if he has already started his side, I certainly can't argue against reading his first!  O0 Mine will take longer to make for reasons which shall soon become apparent. (But probably no sooner than Wed night sometime. ;) )

JasonPratt

As an update, I now have Barth's Turn 2, which I won't be able to play against tonight since I instead spent some time advancing another game against Barth (et al) which has been stalled for a while.

I plan to play Turn 3 tomorrow starting late afternoon, so that Barth will have his Turn 3 ready to play by Friday evening, if possible.

I hope y'all are enjoying trying to parse out my plans with Barth over in his thread! I'll alter my thread title to make clear when AAR entries finally start going up.

JasonPratt

This is just a buffer post in case Barth has been reading down to this point.

. SPOILERS HENCEFORTH

JasonPratt

Edited to add: I wasn't waiting for my ten thousandth post to do this, but I appreciate the providentiality. Also, the forum engine and/or I cannot spell providentiality.

Dammit Carl!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Subsequent ones should be more legible (though with less map visible on any zoom), as I've played the turns at 720p native.

Also, I've forgotten to mention on subsequent eps, but the problem with having to reassign HQs to new colors so that their commanded chits will limn visibly, was solved in the new update: henceforth, all subordinate chits are limned in white, much like fellow-division chits, regardless of the HQ flag color. I did figure out, after recording that episode, how to adjust the "flag" colors for corps and armies, but it isn't really necessary now.

JasonPratt

Turn One, now with 200% more ancient Lithuanian war songs!

Sir Slash

That looks like you're off to a damned-good start Jason. Your casualties are kind of high but you got some gaps punched into Barthski's forces and got some good open space ahead of you. If the damned rain will hold off awhile, you might be able to break-up his forces nicely. The Germans can never use RR movement on the first turn, but can afterward and it's a great way to push your slow infantry right up almost to the front lines to keep pace with the Panzers. I've gotten caught in those damnable Polish Forts in the north before and it never turns out well for me. Looking forward to more action ahead.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Well, having already played Turn 2 and 3, I can't figure out how to use Rail transfer for anything except in command range of the OKH.  >:( I shall try to study it better when Turn 4 arrives.

I should be able to upload Turn 2 today, with another special guest star (and a little more from the Lithuanian group). I've recorded Turn 3, although I'm sick with spring allergies right now so I can't recall if I've done the audio commentary for it yet -- certainly I haven't edited it, much less compiled, so I'm a long way from upload. I need to find a way to (1) consistently get sped-up sounds (since my older Sony video editor seems to randomly decide for any given project whether it will properly compress sounds as well as video, or whether it will simply 'slide' the normal speed soundtrack underneath the code somehow); and (2) to show the results without having to do 400 edits. I'm thinking of going back to annotated snapshots of before/after conditions of areas of the fronts -- except of course on "video" with audio as well as visual annotations.

That may just be my allergies talking tho.  :buck2: (Now that I think very carefully, I might also be hallucinating I've received back, played, and sent off Turn 3.  :hide: Hate allergies so much!)

Regarding holes punched in his forces -- it's more difficult than it looks, because Barth is anticipating that and trying to maneuver on one hand to foil it, while also sacrificing his cavalry (which aren't much good in other regards anyway) in counter-blitzing attempts to slow me down by forcing me to backtrack to deal with his hussar nonsense.

Crossroads

Great work with the videos, kudos!  :clap:

Really looking forward to next turns, as well as the Polish DAR entries. What an intriguing start, will be interesting to see how the ebb and flow will continue from here.

Also, I was about to recommend sending one Nazi entourage to Lithuania to get those musicians, but man they have me in a trance now, too late to resist now. Next, I am buying their CD...  :)) 
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

Next ep will feature at least one cut from their other CD (although I think I string it out between some gaps in commentary, since I didn't have one large single gap like in Ep 1.)

I made sure to ask the group for permission to promote their music -- hopefully it'll drive some sales!

(I do have some actual Polish and/or Ukrainian music on the way, too, although I haven' t been able to find any Polish war songs from that period. Yet.)

Episode 2 is uploading and processing this afternoon, so should be up in the early evening. It'll feature a cover by another group whom I checked to ensure wouldn't mind the reference (as long as the video isn't monetized, which I'm not doing).

Oh, I checked at lunch (when starting the upload/processing) and I have already played Turn 3 and sent it to Barth. I haven't started scripting the audio commentary for it, though, much less editing it down. BUT I WASN'T HALLUCINATING ITS EXISTENCE!  :bd: ... ......I was only hallucinating hallucinating its existence...  :hide: