Author Topic: Grand Tactician, American Civil War  (Read 17053 times)

Offline devoncop

• Viking
    • Slitherine Games Field of Glory Empires MP Game
Re: Grand Tactician, American Civil War
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2021, 12:30:11 AM »
Cheers for that Toonces....

One of the clearest assessments I have read from someone who like myself is no strategic or tactical genius but enjoys the setting of a game and has a decent knowledge of the actual history.

I think it is almost inevitable I will pick this up on release and no one can doubt the hard work and constant updating that is going into the game in Early Access. Reading the Steam forum comments the consensus is that while it is still a work in progress the game is improving in leaps and bounds and as you point out the scope and ambition are mindblowing and it does indeed look gorgeous.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Offline Toonces

• Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2021, 01:01:53 AM »
I hate to be so equivocal on a game, you know?

I think, for me, I'm becoming increasingly overwhelmed by grand strategy games.  There was a time when I grooved on them, but lately I find myself drawn to games with a tighter scope.  For example, while I'm a huge fan of WitP:AE, I strongly prefer, now, a tighter focus on one strategic area.  This is why I'm so interested in getting Uncommon Valor again.  Similarly, while I'd like to play an entire campaign in Scourge of War, I have no real desire to zoom out to managing the entire war effort for the U.S. of C.S.A.  Just a bit zoomed out...let me manage the Gettysburg campaign, but I don't want to manage all of the theaters around it.

It seems (I haven't played long enough) that Grand Tactician does allow for these battles to go on for multiple days.  Theoretically that could increase the tactical scope over something like SoW.  But it doesn't seem that there's an option to, say, play 1862 eastern theater only for example.

There is a layer between what GT is, and the tactical battles, that I wish existed...that pesky operational layer which is really where I feel most comfortable.  It could be in GT, but if so I didn't come across it just yet.

For me the game is worth it just for the potential, but I'm a ACW fan.  If the subject matter was WW2 or some obscure 19th century war, I'd be far less enthusiastic.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Offline devoncop

• Viking
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2021, 03:12:42 AM »
Yeah WITP and even HOI are far beyond my organisational  ability even though I admire some of the mechanics.

In HOI the issue is worldwide realtime fighting.....totally ridiculous even with pause abilities. In WITP the micromanagement  load even given it is turn based is too much.

I think on the slowest setting Grand Tactician looks manageable as the numbers of armies and  fronts is much less than WW2  but it will definitely  take some learning. The History Guy You Tube presentations are fascinating  and I will continue  to follow the games progress.

The flavour and immersion in the game seems second to none.

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2021, 09:44:50 AM »
Please STOP making me want this game!  :dreamer:   You know how weak I am. Not looking anymore, not looking.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline FarAway Sooner

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2021, 09:53:05 AM »
Yeah, I gave up on HoI when I realized that there was virtually no way to follow--much less influence--the outcome of battles.  Lots of great concepts in there, but the RTS component just really bogs down in a larger setting.

That's one reason I continue to prefer TBS to RTS Strategy.  Maybe that's just another way of saying, "I'm getting old."   ;D

Offline devoncop

• Viking
« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »
+100 :DD

Offline Rayfer

• Condottieri
« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2021, 11:28:17 AM »

Offline SirAndrewD

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2021, 11:43:41 PM »
It's not even done and it's the best US Civil War game that exists. 

It's just going to get better. 

Just buy it, you can do worse than supporting work like this with your money, even if it doesn't pan out. 

We don't get games like this anymore so dang it just...don't hesitate on it.

Offline Rayfer

• Condottieri
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2021, 05:39:59 AM »
It's not even done and it's the best US Civil War game that exists. 

It's just going to get better. 

Just buy it, you can do worse than supporting work like this with your money, even if it doesn't pan out. 

We don't get games like this anymore so dang it just...don't hesitate on it.

+1  I'm enjoying this game more than any other in quit awhile.  The latest updates have made many improvements across the board.