Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on February 12, 2020, 05:25:33 PM
I am just looking at hearts of iron Iv and playing it... I have owned it for a while but not really ever played it. I only have the base game.

A few things I notice right away is that I cannot find money or a cost to upkeeping my units in the field. Is this correct? Am I just to build units as fast as I can without penalty to keep paying them? Do I not have gold or currency reserves to use?
I can understand this once a war begins, but in all the years of buildup and diplomacy / trading. It seems to be an oversight?

If I recall, you don't "purchase" units in HOI IV. Rather, the number of units you can train is limited by your industrial capacity and manpower. Once deployed in the field, the number of units you can operate is limited by manpower and supply. Just wait until war breaks out...if your industrial capacity cannot keep up with the supply demands and your population cannot keep up with replacing casualties, your large military machine will quickly come to a screeching halt. As such, it is important to not put more units in the field than your infrastructure is capable of handling.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I understand that. But from a realism perspective, before the war. I have no chance of rebellion, recruitment problems or attrition from non-payment of soldiers. You don't just feed an army before a war, you have to pay them.
I recall somebody saying money was in HOI3, I wonder if it had upkeep for units as well. Thus not only do you have to be able to supply your soldiers before your economy is on a war footing, but you have to pay them. During a war I imagine that you would need to show the debt incurred to be paid after a war. Back dated wages etc.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on February 12, 2020, 05:53:01 PM
I understand that. But from a realism perspective, before the war. I have no chance of rebellion, recruitment problems or attrition from non-payment of soldiers. You don't just feed an army before a war, you have to pay them.
I recall somebody saying money was in HOI3, I wonder if it had upkeep for units as well. Thus not only do you have to be able to supply your soldiers before your economy is on a war footing, but you have to pay them. During a war I imagine that you would need to show the debt incurred to be paid after a war. Back dated wages etc.

You still have to supply them when not at war. Especially if you are training them. If you just have them sitting there, supply consumption is low. If you train them, supply consumption is high. The game does not take into effect soldier salary. Sorry.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ian C

...and another thing: some people on the Paradox HOI forums have been saying that Carriers don't work and it has become a popular myth.

They do work. You have to set air missions on Carriers while they are at sea. During naval battles CV air will join in, weather permitting.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2020, 07:20:57 PM
Quote from: Destraex on February 12, 2020, 05:53:01 PM

You still have to supply them when not at war. Especially if you are training them. If you just have them sitting there, supply consumption is low. If you train them, supply consumption is high. The game does not take into effect soldier salary. Sorry.
Thanks Jarhead. Did hoi3? I think it had money.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Ian C

Quote from: Destraex on February 13, 2020, 10:51:49 PM
[Did hoi3? I think it had money.

It did -and one of the most awful-looking maps in the history of grand strategy.

Ian C

Some of the new features.

Ian C

Jarhead0331

This one seems pretty skippable to me. Will wait for a sale.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

HoodedHorseJoe

Unless you really want a more involved Spanish Civil War/Free France game, than yeah that's the impression I'm getting as well.

Intel/Espionage seems fun, but doesn't pack a huge punch. New units fill interesting niches but overall not as essential as Man the Guns was.

Which I guess is what an expansion should be?
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

CJReich46

Plus HOI 4 is free for 5 days on Steam. Just fyi.

I might give it a go.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

ArizonaTank

I generally am happy with the DLC overall. But I agree, the current one is a little "light." 

My only fear is that they start on HOI 5 before HOI 4 is truly done.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

solops

just got Man the Guns at 50% off. Still think I overpaid.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

glen55

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 25, 2020, 04:07:35 PM
I generally am happy with the DLC overall. But I agree, the current one is a little "light." 

My only fear is that they start on HOI 5 before HOI 4 is truly done.

I would definitely pay new-game price if they would just go all in on fixing the Battle Planner and associated AI.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower