Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 18, 2016, 09:13:10 AM
[This is *exactly* why I'm so excited about HOI4's Battle Planner feature.

I hope they can pull it off.  They used this feature in the stream a couple of weeks ago but I still noticed a lot of manual interventions by the player (starts around min. 20).

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Ian C on May 18, 2016, 06:34:28 AMMr Wester says on their video "we make hardcore games for a demanding audience". I'm not sure whether everyone will agree with that.

Oh, come on.  You aren't seeing the wood for the trees.  Do you really think that changing the way oil production and supply works is opening the game up to the great unwashed?  I'm sure all the console gamers will descend on it now!

I get that grogs will want things to be done in different ways, but this is all still pretty damn hardcore.  HoI4 is most definitely still a niche title.

sandman2575

Couldn't agree more, Huw. I find it hard to understand why the "Pdox is dumbing HOI down!" narrative has such traction. Look at the 60-70-odd Dev Diaries!

Not saying everyone has to agree 100% with the changes that HOI4 is bringing -- I certainly don't. But to say that HOI4 is going to be Hearts of Iron Simplified, a step backward for the series -- I just don't see it.

Kushan

People said that Paradox dumbed down EUIV before release too but personally I don't think that's the case.

Not sure what version I'm going to preorder yet. Knowing me it will be the top one. I just can't resist when developers start showing me shiney extra stuff.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Philippe

Can strategic bombers still fly across Europe without getting intercepted, or did that get fixed?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Ian C

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 18, 2016, 10:29:29 AM
Quote from: Ian C on May 18, 2016, 06:34:28 AMMr Wester says on their video "we make hardcore games for a demanding audience". I'm not sure whether everyone will agree with that.

Oh, come on.  You aren't seeing the wood for the trees.  Do you really think that changing the way oil production and supply works is opening the game up to the great unwashed?  I'm sure all the console gamers will descend on it now!

I get that grogs will want things to be done in different ways, but this is all still pretty damn hardcore.  HoI4 is most definitely still a niche title.

Yes, but I like to beef about one thing or the other. It's a prerequisite to middle age.  :crazy2:

sandman2575

Quote from: Philippe on May 18, 2016, 11:26:45 AM
Can strategic bombers still fly across Europe without getting intercepted, or did that get fixed?

Pretty sure it's a feature, not a bug, so not getting changed, as far as I know --

Raied

Pre-ordered the colonel edition, kept Stellaris in wishlist for later...

JudgeDredd

Well, I just bought from Kinguin for £21. I was going to get it...of course I was.

I may not play it right away anyway, so if it needs some bedding in time, it's cool.
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

I've idly been watching some HOI4 footage from the "World War Wednesdays" series on YouTube and man, I feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas. I want to get my hands on this so badly... It looks completely amazing.

Huw the Poo

I could get used to Paradox releasing a game every month! :D

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 18, 2016, 02:24:21 PM
I've idly been watching some HOI4 footage from the "World War Wednesdays" series on YouTube and man, I feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas. I want to get my hands on this so badly... It looks completely amazing.

I feel the same. All joking about counters aside, I can't wait. I really do have that 'waiting for Xmas' feeling I had as a kid. That's no bad thing.

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2016, 08:48:06 AM
Quote from: jomni on May 18, 2016, 07:03:43 AM
Lately I'm having a fun time playing Supreme Ruler 2020. A flawed game but I love the details on the economy, variety of military units, unit designs, and logistics.

You should really be playing Supreme Ruler Ultimate. It is the pinnacle of the series and combines pretty much everything from each prior game in the series.

Yup. Playing SR2020 scenario from Ultimate. I still call it 2020 because of the setting as you also have 1939 and Cold War in the game.

W8taminute

I've been watching some of those 'War on Wednesday's' vids myself and can't wait for this game.  At least Stellaris and Polaris Sector have been keeping me pretty busy in the meanwhile. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bboyer66

Am I the only one watching these videos and getting totally turned off by them.  Hungary taking over all of Eastern Europe, and becoming a big unstoppable blob.  Is this the typical BS where if you take over a country and you get  all its population and industry without penalty?  Cant wait to see the first person who takes over the entire world with Paraguay !!!!    Seriously, it's this type of shit that is not even realistically plausible, that has turned me off from all the games in the Hearts of Iron Series.