Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Agree JD -- ultimately I want to see the AI put up a decent fight, to see a meaningful Pacific War, and all the rest in the 'historically plausible' department. But I'm not expecting to get that on Monday. I think it's going to take time, patches, expansions.

Right now, I just am dying to get my hands on the damn thing...

OJsDad

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 03, 2016, 01:51:28 PM
What I do know is to avoid the Paradox HOI4 forum. The amount of bitching and complaining over there is really something to behold, for a game that hasn't even released yet. I've been posting there but am going to stop now -- it's a fool's errand trying to persuade people there that (A) no, the game isn't broken and (B) to maybe, just maybe, be a little patient and give Pdox time to improve some areas of the game. It's like the forum is populated 90% by 12-year-olds. Or shut-ins with little idea of how the real world functions. Maybe both at the same time...

This is why I've avoided the Stellaris forums.  Well, that and if you post something a 8am, 5 pages can be added to the post by the time I can get back to it at the end of day, most having nothing to do with the post. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

dinsdale

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 03, 2016, 05:21:49 PM
Agree JD -- ultimately I want to see the AI put up a decent fight, to see a meaningful Pacific War, and all the rest in the 'historically plausible' department. But I'm not expecting to get that on Monday. I think it's going to take time, patches, expansions.

Right now, I just am dying to get my hands on the damn thing...
While I've had a lot of fun with HOI, including with v 1.0 of HOI-1, the things you're asking for have been unavailable for the last 14 years of games, expansions and patches. What has been demonstrated that this version will accomplish what they have never managed in the past?

HOI has been a great deal of fun at times, but it has never managed to provide a WW2 experience, or allow for meaningful, plausible gameplay as Britain, US or Italy.

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 03, 2016, 01:51:28 PMI have no doubt there will be parts of the game that feel underdeveloped and in serious need of improvement. Naval warfare may well fall into that category, I don't know.

I saw naval combat running on some of the playthrough vids and it looked pretty robust to me.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ian C on June 04, 2016, 05:02:37 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on June 03, 2016, 01:51:28 PMI have no doubt there will be parts of the game that feel underdeveloped and in serious need of improvement. Naval warfare may well fall into that category, I don't know.

I saw naval combat running on some of the playthrough vids and it looked pretty robust to me.

The state of the game will be interesting...although people believe it will be a typical "Paradox" game, it was delayed a very long time from original release, which in theory and hopefully the extra time was used for polishing.  Regardless, every game has its issues on release and I would expect the same from this one as well, its just a matter of how much and how much of an impact.  Luckily, I am a below average person in these strategic games so I likely won't notice all the issues that will be reported....I may have to impose a ban on myself to not read any forum material on it:)

Ian C

OJsDad

I posted this about Stellaris, but I think it applies to HOI4, and many other games also. 

QuoteI got to thinking about the state of Stellaris at release.  I really do think it was a solid release, the grumblings are design decisions or features that didn't always seem to go far enough.  But perhaps Paradox (and other designers) have it right by not releasing a perfect game.  By releasing Stellaris at 50% with a playable game with no major bugs, they're now able to sit back, and listen to the community give feed back on where to go from.  Trying to listen to a community before a game is released is hard, as people cannot see how the different pieces fit together.  Now, people can give more focused and useful feedback that Paradox can use.

I install IT for cardiology departments in hospitals.  There are no 2 hospitals that do things the same way.  Even hospitals that have the same parent company don't.   Customers are always amazed when they ask why we haven't implemented a feature they want, and we tell them no one else has ever asked for it.  Imagine how hard it is with hundreds of thousands users instead of a few hundred or a few thousand.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

sandman2575

Yeah, it just blows me away the inability of so many people on the Pdox forums to keep things in perspective, to acknowledge that creating a game as complex as HOI isn't easy, that there will be bumps along the road, that the game will need patches and expansions to reach its fullest potential, and (gasp!) Pdox will ask you to pay for some of that extra DLC / expansion content...  I think a lot of those guys must just lack the real-world experience that OJsDad points out. They expect perfection out of the gate, and whine like 5 year olds when, amazingly, reality doesn't work out that way...

@dinsdale -- I suppose it depends on what you mean by "a WW2 experience".  I've also been with the series since the original HOI, and I can't think of another game that accomplishes what HOI accomplishes:  a 'pick any country' and guide your way through the most all-encompassing war in history, starting in 1936.  I'd call that a pretty unique WW2 experience.

Other 'big strategy' games -- thinking especially of GG's War in the Pacific -- are amazingly detailed recreations, and games every hardcore WW2 enthusiast should play. But I'm not sure that means they are necessarily 'better' WW2 games than HOI. They emphasize different things, make different demands, but just because WITP is more historically precise than HOI doesn't mean HOI is somehow inauthentic, I think.

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 04, 2016, 09:22:43 AMI've also been with the series since the original HOI, and I can't think of another game that accomplishes what HOI accomplishes:  a 'pick any country' and guide your way through the most all-encompassing war in history, starting in 1936.  I'd call that a pretty unique WW2 experience.

Prior to this, I think the only PC WW2 game of the same scope was Civilisation 2 WW2. When HOI 1 came along, it was sensational.

Release time: Monday June 6th  17:00 GMT. That's when bandwidth-a-geddon starts.

bbmike

Making History does but it is very sandbox.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Rayfer

Quote from: bbmike on June 04, 2016, 11:45:04 AM

+1...very true!  And yet being turn based it plays quite differently.

jamus34

My personal opinion - drop the need / connotation that ww2 needs to happen. IE make HoI more like a time extension of Vicky rather than a ww2 simulation. I would like pdox to have a game run from say 1900 to 1970 or so.
My point is the whole thing with pdox games is having the ability to shape things the way you want.
What if the Duke Ferdinand was never assassinated. Or Hitler never came to power. Maybe the Russian bear sweeps through Europe. Japan controls China. Yes there are games that let you fight ww2 much better than the HOI series. I like exploring the effects of even small changes in history may have.
Insert witty comment here.

sandman2575

Quote from: Ian C on June 04, 2016, 09:32:47 AM
That's when bandwidth-a-geddon starts.

Not too worried about that. The Stellaris download was surprisingly small -- something like 2 GB, right?  I'd be surprised is HOI4's download will be much larger -- if it's bigger than 5 GB I'll be surprised.  Guess we'll soon see!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 04, 2016, 02:54:12 PM
Quote from: Ian C on June 04, 2016, 09:32:47 AM
That's when bandwidth-a-geddon starts.

Not too worried about that. The Stellaris download was surprisingly small -- something like 2 GB, right?  I'd be surprised is HOI4's download will be much larger -- if it's bigger than 5 GB I'll be surprised.  Guess we'll soon see!

According to requirements page, 2GB of storage is needed....so I would think the download should be 2GB or less...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Rayfer on June 04, 2016, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: bbmike on June 04, 2016, 11:45:04 AM

+1...very true!  And yet being turn based it plays quite differently.

Making History is turn based?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18