Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Rayfer on June 06, 2016, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 06, 2016, 10:11:47 AM
Quote from: Ian C on June 06, 2016, 09:15:57 AM
IGN Review:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/06/1558481

Hope the review got it right.  Amazing (9 out of 10 score) sounds good to me.

Agreed except for his harsh criticism of the naval invasion process...doesn't bode well for the USA war with Japan in the Pacific.  He calls the naval invasion piece "borderline abominable".

Hopefully, the problem is just the interface as he suggests.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 06, 2016, 10:26:17 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 06, 2016, 10:20:42 AM
Oh, what do these computer games do to us, eh?

:)  Yeah, it's kinda unhealthy.  But then, so are many of the best things in life (to wit: alcohol.  Or donuts).

What about them both, at the same time??  :uglystupid2:

sandman2575

Not sure I'd intentionally mix alcohol and donuts. But I get the sense that plenty of us around here have been known, on occasion, to mix alcohol and gaming.   :)

acctingman

I admit I'm waiting for some of you lucky souls to post your initial thoughts on the installation process and fist impressions. As much as I'm an impulse buyer, too many releases in the past have left me burnt a little.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Hasty impressions so far.

I don't like change!

Map is very slick.  Looks almost like a TW map when zoomed in close.

I like some of the changes they've made to the interface by consolidating information onto one screen.

I like that the development of ships, armour, and aircraft are now presented as developing specific platforms such as a Hurricane or a Spitfire.  I hope they add more detail though as it seems like there aren't enough steps right now.  (They need more Spitfire variants for example.)

I miss the tiny, incremental developments from HOI3 such as being able to add a new, better gun to an existing tank.  Taking a T-34 from a 76mm to an 85mm for example.

I don't like the fact that they've taken out the names of actual weapons from the infantry and replaced it with generic "weapons level II".  I found it much more immersive when I knew my guys had gone from say Springfields to Garands.

Consolidating the information screens means some important information is missing in some cases.  I don't like the fact that you can't see which raw materials you are deficient in when you open the trade screen.  In order to find out, you have to jump back to your production screen.

There is a lot of blank space on the top bar on the main UI map page.  It would be nice to have raw materials listed there.

There needs to be a weather forecast screen and map button!  Adding dynamic, animated weather to the map sounded like a cool idea, but from what I've seen of it so far, I don't like it.  Much of the weather information doesn't show up when you're at certain levels of zoom and if you're running at high time acceleration, it doesn't update properly.

Same goes for air ops.  Not enough information presented on the map.  At high time acceleration, the animated planes on the map don't sync up with day/night cycles, etc.

I don't like the way they organize information on the army info tab.  It doesn't show how battles are progressing and doesn't really group units in a logical way.  Too hard to find out who's where and how they're holding up in a fight at a quick glance.

Hopefully there are ways to tweak the information that I just haven't figured out yet.  If not, I'm sure the modders will get on it.

Wolfe1759

My discounted purchase from CDKeys seems to have worked.

Installing now  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Ian C

Installed. Played Tutorial. Now loaded '39 scenario as Germany. Wow...easy to be over-enthusiastic but this is looking fantastic.
Stumbled a bit setting up battle plans but got it now. Loving setting up my army groups/corps. Not a problem as I thought it may be after losing the old OOB, in fact, this is better.
Note: click on colour tab and you can change army symbols and colour of groups.
This so far feels like the most immersive WW2 game I've played. Bit overwhelmed by new screens etc but this is par for the course with any new game.
Love the map. Like the day/night cycle and colours remind me of PS1 Medal of Honor games for some reason. Loving everything so far.

I like how you generate air aces and can assign them to airfields. This is wonderful. Happy. Poor Fiancée will have to make do with Netflix for the next week.

sandman2575

SDR -- there is a way to make incremental improvements to things like tanks -- doing so will create new variants, so upgunning a Panzer III will create a Panzer IIIA (yeah, not historical, but you get the picture). You can also create tank destroyer and assault guns based on the tank chassis -- so unlocking Panzer III also opens a route to built StuG III, etc.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Cool!  Good to know.

I've finished stomping around at the Italians in the tutorial and beyond.  Now it's off to defend the Empire....maybe.  I think I might start with France again, just to get a feel for the new mechanics before trying to manage the UK.

mikeck

I'm getting upset at these big games coming out with NO manual. Stellaris and not HOI IV. If I buy from someone else besides steam, is there a manual

Edit: found the wiki and, from what I gather, the Manual may come out 3-4 weeks after release? I really hate that. I love manuals and hoped companies would go the way of Matrix in creating a huge hard-bound manual (for extra $) for big releases

Anyway, wiki:

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Hearts_of_Iron_4_Wiki
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Rayfer

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 06, 2016, 12:00:06 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 06, 2016, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 06, 2016, 10:11:47 AM
Quote from: Ian C on June 06, 2016, 09:15:57 AM
IGN Review:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/06/06/1558481

Hope the review got it right.  Amazing (9 out of 10 score) sounds good to me.

Agreed except for his harsh criticism of the naval invasion process...doesn't bode well for the USA war with Japan in the Pacific.  He calls the naval invasion piece "borderline abominable".

Hopefully, the problem is just the interface as he suggests.

Agreed....I remain optimistic...!!

Rayfer

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on June 06, 2016, 12:31:18 PM
My discounted purchase from CDKeys seems to have worked.

Installing now  :)

Me too....just started the download now.

sandman2575

You guys are killing me.   :buck2:

3PM ... must hold out for 2 more hours ...

sandman2575

acctingman

Man, the Paradox forums are...."loud"