Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on June 09, 2016, 03:23:44 AM
Just a quick heads up for anyone interested. I have 2 mods that I found it on the workshop which have made the game at least more appealing to the eyes.
The coloured buttons mod which adds different colours to the UI

The other one, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699686998&searchtext=terrain Better terrain view, really distinguishes the difference between mountains/forests etc all of the diff types of terrain.

Thanks....both of these are excellent, especially the better terrain view, it really improves the view.

acctingman

Paradox HoI4 forums are soooooo   :uglystupid2:

In my 20+ years of gaming and reading various forums, I don't think I've ever seen so many cray babies, whiners, complainers, self-entitled spoiled brats collected in one area. WOW

I get making a comment and even suggesting changes, but my GOD......are "we" this pathetic? It makes me not want to log onto the internet anymore   :-\

mirth

Quote from: acctingman on June 09, 2016, 09:06:17 AM
In my 20+ years of gaming and reading various forums, I don't think I've ever seen so many cray babies, whiners, complainers, self-entitled spoiled brats collected in one area.

You haven't spent enough time here :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Honestly, this is the most friendly and helpful gaming forum I've ever visited. Wish I found it sooner.

Some of you are hilarious. Most, if not all of you, are very knowledgeable, beyond civil and very informative.  O0

Huw the Poo

I'm none of those things, but I have a fantastic arse!

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 09, 2016, 10:15:35 AM

I am a fantastic arse.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Quote from: mirth on June 09, 2016, 10:26:58 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 09, 2016, 10:15:35 AM

I am a fantastic arse.

Isn't this common knowledge around here?  :coolsmiley:

Ian C

The Paradox forums are a free-for-all amongst pedantic 13-year olds, with the occasional voices of reason being lynch-mobbed and flamed into oblivion. Any resistance descends into a flame war and a thread-lock.

After 23 hours total game play from a September 1939 start, I'm at June 1942 and I have no doubt that this game, while at war on multiple fronts, should never be played above speed 2 and with liberal pausing.
There's just so much going on when war breaks out I don't know how anyone could play at speed 4 or higher and take everything in. It's a huge game.

acctingman

I agree Ian C

I can't play this game beyond the second speed level, but I'm sure it's mainly due to me not knowing what in blazes I'm doing, but I'm ok with that. I'm LOVING hovering over any and all icons and I'm enjoying the learning curve.

I have a list of nations I want to play as and I'm starting from least favorite to most favorite (not sure if it's the US or Germany)

Anyways, thanks to everyone here for their comments/tips/tricks. Doubt I'm going back to the Paradox forums for any assistance.

bbmike

Quote from: Ian C on June 09, 2016, 10:33:36 AM
... and I have no doubt that this game, while at war on multiple fronts, should never be played above speed 2 and with liberal pausing...

True, unless you play as Brazil.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: Ian C on June 09, 2016, 10:33:36 AM

There's just so much going on when war breaks out I don't know how anyone could play at speed 4 or higher and take everything in. It's a huge game.

I see others running CK2 and EU4 LPs at maximum speed, or nearly so, and can't fathom it.  Like they're trying to rush through the game as fast as possible, at the risk of missing trends and accidentally clicking the wrong thing on the bursts of event pop-ups because they aren't reading much of them. 

I'm sure they do it because of their experience, and remembering what most of the events look like, but I still see them admit to screwing something up immediately after having done so.  Because they're clicking through everything so fast while it runs at warp 5. 

Dunno how they do it.  I'm OCD enough that I'm constantly delving into the information and making sure I know exactly what's going on.  Too much micro-management fixation?  Whatever it is, I'd be hurling insults at myself if I was blasting through everything so fast that I missed something, and not taking the time to learn all the little mechanical intricacies & info is sacrilege. 

But there are quite a few players who want to run it at full speed ahead & damn the torpedoes.  :D  The noobs with this tendency are probably a notable portion of those complaining on the Pdox forums when they haven't taken the time to figure out how everything works (or are just RTS click-festers).

Anyway.. it's good to hear that HOI4 is in much better shape than previous ones, on release.

acctingman

Nefaro....just wanted to say I think your avatar is classic  :2funny:

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on June 09, 2016, 11:08:42 AM
Nefaro....just wanted to say I think your avatar is classic  :2funny:

>:D

Queeg

Quote from: Nefaro on June 09, 2016, 11:03:32 AM

I see others running CK2 and EU4 LPs at maximum speed, or nearly so, and can't fathom it.  Like they're trying to rush through the game as fast as possible, at the risk of missing trends and accidentally clicking the wrong thing on the bursts of event pop-ups because they aren't reading much of them. 

There's always some guy who claims to be an authority on all the flaws in the game based on the five full campaigns he played on the first day of release.

sandman2575

My totally straight-forward plan for the invasion of Poland: