Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queeg

We need a separate "Stuff Ian C Figured Out That The Rest Of Us Were Too Stupid To Notice" thread.

acctingman

Quote from: Hofstadter on June 10, 2016, 04:25:21 AM

Just some thoughts on the game. Debating doing a lets play, but everybody and their mother is doing videos. Opening it up to the public if they want to see me doing a campaign xD

Really appreciate the video Hofstadter!

The more of these let's play videos I see the better it helps me "see" things I'm missing. I'm a visual learner  :uglystupid2:

Ian C

Talking of combat and immersion, here's a great reason not to zip past each combat at speed:

Click the Tactics Button:

And...

Mouse over each for more info:

acctingman

GOOD LORD.....my eyes are bleeding!!   :buck2:

Ian C

You can choose individual equipment, artillery, weapons, vehicles etc for each Division template, and also use captured vehicles, artillery and weapons and equipment to outfit custom divisions. 

NOTE: if you want to create a new Division template, click on 'Duplicate' first. If you don't, you will change the template you edit and will update ALL divisions of that type in the field.  On the plus side, this is a great way to upgrade all divisions at once, if that's what is intended.

Austrian & Czech gear gained after Anschluss and The Czech Crisis:

jamus34

Yeah I noticed that too in I think Quill's lets play...and immediately thought of a couple of things:

Pdox really is not doing there game a service by not having a manual...or even a quick start guide to go along with it. That is a HUGE amount of depth there that I think people will just gloss over.

I think this bodes well for increasing the depth of combat in Stellaris. My first thought there was to build something where you can create mixed fleet combat stances. This proves that it's there, it just needs to be implemented some way for Stellaris.

The more I see from HoI4 the more I think Pdox held back on Stellaris because they did not want to scare the casual gamer away. I think there is either a lot under the surface waiting for release or (and I'd be annoyed at this) that they planned upfront to add depth via paid DLC.
Insert witty comment here.

Barthheart

Welp..... thanks Ian C.... Now I will be buying this... it'll just have to wait until after Origins.  :idiot2:

acctingman

I'm worried about the bleeding effects too...(aka...DLC's)

I'll be kinda irked if they release a ton of them AND they're all good.  :knuppel2:

sandman2575

Man, I LOVE the new production system. And I love how it lets you tailor the TOE of your divisions by deciding which specific builds of vehicles and equipment the division will have.

Anyone else playing with the "No Army Experience for Division Design" mod? I'm really glad someone came up with this, because designing division templates is loads of fun, and the idea that you should be severely limited in doing so (due to 'experience' points accrued) strikes me as an artificial game constraint.

One thing I've learned:  keep your key production lines going *throughout the war*. In my first game I made the mistake of stopping production of things like trucks, soldiers' weapons etc. once I had filled the needs of the division I was building, with a slight 'buffer' of extra equipment kept in storage for attrition.

But really, there's no reason ever to completely shut down your basic lines. Just keep one factory devoted to "infantry weapons" even when you have a huge surplus. That way you maintain your production efficiency. And odds are, you will never have enough of the basic stuff once the war gets going in earnest.

jamus34

Quote from: acctingman on June 10, 2016, 10:33:32 AM
I'm worried about the bleeding effects too...(aka...DLC's)

I'll be kinda irked if they release a ton of them AND they're all good.  :knuppel2:

Well, if they weren't good that makes the choice that much easier ;)

My DLC comment was more directed toward the Stellaris launch. I think (although obviously not certain) that besides espionage HOI is much more fleshed out than Stellaris. Of course that can easily be explained through new IP vs established game vision. (IE they KNEW what they wanted to do with HOI4)
Insert witty comment here.

CJReich46

I'm curious too, so I haven't caved (at least until payday  ::) )

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on June 10, 2016, 10:00:17 AM
You can choose individual equipment, artillery, weapons, vehicles etc for each Division template, and also use captured vehicles, artillery and weapons and equipment to outfit custom divisions. 

NOTE: if you want to create a new Division template, click on 'Duplicate' first. If you don't, you will change the template you edit and will update ALL divisions of that type in the field.  On the plus side, this is a great way to upgrade all divisions at once, if that's what is intended.

IanC....you did it to me again. I screwed up not using the 'duplicate' button first and ended up upgrading all my divisions.  Keep the tips coming....!!!

OJsDad

You guys are making it very hard not to make a purchase now.

Seeing some of the comments on things like the depth of research and TOE choices, I would think that folks like ICE will be able to expand on those parts very easily. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

I'd be interested to see a list of "must have" mods. So far, I've only used mods that adjust graphic settings/features.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Queeg

Quote from: jamus34 on June 10, 2016, 10:01:10 AM

Pdox really is not doing there game a service by not having a manual...or even a quick start guide to go along with it. That is a HUGE amount of depth there that I think people will just gloss over.

I think many of the complaints over on the Paradox board (and most of my own concerns) actually are due to folks not understanding how the game actually works.  There's much more there than meets the eye, and it would help if Paradox did a better job of exposing these hidden details.