Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Quote from: IronX on June 11, 2016, 12:55:07 PM
Okay, here's a question about factories. What limits me from building military factories, other than the number of slots available? I see in the wiki it costs 3600. But 3600 of what?

Now I see that civilian factories are needed to build military factories. But again, other than filling up available factory slots, is there any limitation to maxing out the number of military factories asap?

Building a military factory costs 3600 construction points, which are created by assigning a number of civilian factories to that particular construction. Civilian factories produce consumer goods or construction points, or can be used for trade. Base output is 5 (per day), ie. one civilian factory is going to take 720 days to build one military factory.

RyanE

Yeah, that console is pretty frickin cool and powerful.

btw, Is there anyway to build different scenarios?

Hofstadter

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to do a playthough as the UK. I am debating doing one as the major powers but cant really decide. My partner wants me to go as ireland.

Yeah that will go well with the 5 people fit for military service
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

acctingman

Quote from: Hofstadter on June 11, 2016, 09:39:00 PM
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to do a playthough as the UK. I am debating doing one as the major powers but cant really decide. My partner wants me to go as ireland.

From the looks of it you know what you're doing, so go for it.

Me? I'm playing minor nations. Got my ass handed to me playing as Portugal. Now playing as Poland. Thought about even a smaller nation, but I won't play the "bigs" until I have a really good grasp on things. That could take a month or so...since....like, I'm slow in the head (at least when it comes to this game)  :uglystupid2:

CptHowdy

playing first game as america. focusing on carriers and subs. election in 1936, i kept roosevelt in power. started the game exporting oil to japan but cant embargo them until other conditions and focuses are researched. trying to play aggressive and not wait until 1941 to join the fray.

Tanaka

Gotta agree here. This is the first HOI that I have ever understood and gotten into and enjoyed playing without micro hell. Love that.

glen55

Quote from: RyanE on June 11, 2016, 12:14:23 PM
Does no one actually read entire posts here?

I can read!!!  Whaddayou mean?   :tickedoff:  :knuppel2:     :D
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

glen55

Quote from: Hofstadter on June 11, 2016, 09:39:00 PM

That certainly seems like the most daunting nation to play.  Which makes it tempting, of course, but I think I'm going to at least wait til I comprehend basic functions of the game first!
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

IronX

Quote from: Rekim on June 11, 2016, 08:09:59 PM
Quote from: IronX on June 11, 2016, 12:55:07 PM
Okay, here's a question about factories. What limits me from building military factories, other than the number of slots available? I see in the wiki it costs 3600. But 3600 of what?

Now I see that civilian factories are needed to build military factories. But again, other than filling up available factory slots, is there any limitation to maxing out the number of military factories asap?

Building a military factory costs 3600 construction points, which are created by assigning a number of civilian factories to that particular construction. Civilian factories produce consumer goods or construction points, or can be used for trade. Base output is 5 (per day), ie. one civilian factory is going to take 720 days to build one military factory.

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for that. While complicated, it appears to be a good game mechanic requiring some strategic thinking. Mind you, once the shooting starts, factory management drops right off my radar!

Hofstadter

Started a UK playthrough. Will be posting them in the video thread from now on
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Rayfer

Hof....nice start, keep them coming!

Rayfer

How do I update my carrier fighters? I researched the 1939 P40 Warhawk which the research screen indicates is for carriers, it has the carrier icon on it. But now that it is available to build it doesn't show the carrier icon and the ones I build can't be put on carriers. My carriers still have the old Grumman FF Fifi's.  A bug or, more likely, something I missed or did wrong?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on June 12, 2016, 02:47:33 PM
How do I update my carrier fighters? I researched the 1939 P40 Warhawk which the research screen indicates is for carriers, it has the carrier icon on it. But now that it is available to build it doesn't show the carrier icon and the ones I build can't be put on carriers. My carriers still have the old Grumman FF Fifi's.  A bug or, more likely, something I missed or did wrong?
I think you should click the carrier icon (on the fighters research box) to start researching this.  Only after you researched it this fighter will become available in the carrier variant.

Millipede

Okay, here's another air war question that I hope one of you can answer. I'm playing as the U.S. and it's 1939 and I would like to send some fighters to the Philippines and am at a complete loss as to how that is accomplished. The game won't let me build a new air wing at the Philippine air base. My P-40's don't have the range to transfer from Guam (even if the game would let me do that) and I can't figure out a way to disassemble and send them by sea (if that's possible). I have no problem sending army units to the Philippines and history tells us that MacArthur had an air-force in place for the Japanese to practice bombing on. Why can't I send/construct an air-force in the Philippines?

Rayfer

Quote from: Millipede on June 12, 2016, 03:31:28 PM
Okay, here's another air war question that I hope one of you can answer. I'm playing as the U.S. and it's 1939 and I would like to send some fighters to the Philippines and am at a complete loss as to how that is accomplished. The game won't let me build a new air wing at the Philippine air base. My P-40's don't have the range to transfer from Guam (even if the game would let me do that) and I can't figure out a way to disassemble and send them by sea (if that's possible). I have no problem sending army units to the Philippines and history tells us that MacArthur had an air-force in place for the Japanese to practice bombing on. Why can't I send/construct an air-force in the Philippines?

Ditto....I'm having the same problem.