Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Just to mention: thanks, but there might be a small misunderstanding - I didn't make any of the videos I posted. Glad to help though.

Another tip:

Air Casualties Too High?

Air missions are set to No Retreat, by default and Day & Night.

• No Retreat - Air units keep flying missions no matter the casualties. This is a highly aggressive mode only used when absolutely necessary to achieve Air Superiority for strategic objectives. Casualties are huge.
  • Low Intensity - which sets the casualty cap at 50%

• Normal Operations - which sets the cap at 25%.

Also, if you fly night missions and/or in bad weather, you also suffer losses through accidents.

Night missions are somewhat safer, but with penalties. Some Military Staff might offset the night bombing penalties by significant amounts.

Rayfer

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 15, 2016, 03:31:53 PM
I think you answer is somewhere in this thread. The same problem was mentioned.
Its got to do with Carrier Ops research not being unlocked yet.

Thanks, but I couldn't find it buried in 36 pages of posts.  :'(   Researching carrier ops makes no sense because you start the 1936 campaign with carriers that have fighters on them.  I could be wrong though.  I just don't understand why I can't build the upgraded P40's after having researched the P40's and their carrier variant.  The problem isn't getting them onto the carriers, the problem is finding out how to get them to show up as a build option.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Ian C on June 16, 2016, 06:38:48 AM
I didn't make any of the videos I posted.

Neither did I.  Just some good channels you find when you spend too much time on youtube looking for guidance ... 

Re carriers :

The carrier variant of the P40 is called F3F in HOI IV.  Does this one show op in the plane production tab ?
Also try to enable outdated equipment (top of the plane production panel) if it doesn't show. 

When you start as the US in 1939 scenario do the carrier planes show up then ?

Yskonyn

Quote from: Rayfer on June 16, 2016, 06:45:14 AM

Thanks, but I couldn't find it buried in 36 pages of posts.  :'(   Researching carrier ops makes no sense because you start the 1936 campaign with carriers that have fighters on them.  I could be wrong though.  I just don't understand why I can't build the upgraded P40's after having researched the P40's and their carrier variant.  The problem isn't getting them onto the carriers, the problem is finding out how to get them to show up as a build option.

Ah ok, well I don't have the game so that's all the input I could give. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 16, 2016, 08:27:38 AM

Got an answer on the Steam forums.  Once you research the P40 and then its carrier variant, the carrier variant is called a Grumman F3F....that's why I couldn't find it in the construction tree, I was looking for a P40 with the carrier icon.

jamus34

Yeah it's not very intuitive but each variant of a vehicle is a unique entity can be really confusing since tanks typically have 3 variants per tech level
Insert witty comment here.

Tanaka

Quote from: Ian C on June 16, 2016, 06:38:48 AM
Just to mention: thanks, but there might be a small misunderstanding - I didn't make any of the videos I posted. Glad to help though.

Another tip:

Air Casualties Too High?

Air missions are set to No Retreat, by default and Day & Night.

• No Retreat - Air units keep flying missions no matter the casualties. This is a highly aggressive mode only used when absolutely necessary to achieve Air Superiority for strategic objectives. Casualties are huge.
  • Low Intensity - which sets the casualty cap at 50%

• Normal Operations - which sets the cap at 25%.

Also, if you fly night missions and/or in bad weather, you also suffer losses through accidents.

Night missions are somewhat safer, but with penalties. Some Military Staff might offset the night bombing penalties by significant amounts.

Thanks for this I was wondering why all of my air group were vanishing!

Greybriar

The Hearts of Iron IV DLC has begun. I just received an email from Paradox to let me know Hearts of Iron IV: Sabaton Soundtrack is available for purchase. The cost is USD 2.99.

From the email I received:

Hearts of Iron IV: Sabaton Soundtrack!

Play your favorite game Hearts of Iron IV with WWII themed music!

Following on the success of the popular DLC soundtrack for Europa Universalis IV, we are happy to continue our musical partnership with Swedish power metal band Sabaton, a group best known for its music that illustrates great episodes of history.

This time, we've added five of Sabatons World War II themed songs for Hearts of Iron IV. The songs included in this content pack are:

1. Hearts of Iron: dedicated to German 9th and 12th armies that covered the escape of citizens fleeing the Soviets to safety with the Western armies
2. Primo Victoria: dedicated to Operation Overlord and the Western Front
3. Stalingrad: dedicated to the Soviet soldiers who died fighting to defend Stalingrad
4. Wolfpack: dedicated to victims and survivors of the attack on convoy ON-92
5. Night Witches: dedicated to a deadly Soviet bomber crew composed of women

Click the button below to read more about the soundtrack and to place your order for a copy. Don't forget that you can collect the key directly on your Paradox Account!

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

acctingman

Why does it feel like they'll DLC this game into the ground?  :tickedoff:

Huw the Poo

Quote from: acctingman on June 16, 2016, 02:14:51 PM
Why does it feel like they'll DLC this game into the ground?  :tickedoff:

Because that's their business model and it works exceptionally well.  Paradox do DLC the correct way in my opinion.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, they've been following this model for quite some time now.  I don't think it should come as a surprise to anyone used to PDox games at this point that we're looking at dozens of DLC releases for HOI IV.  I usually wait for a sale and pick and choose which I want.  I never bother with the music ones personally and only tend to grab the graphics ones if they're included in a bundle with others but I'll always snap up the ones that add new gameplay elements.

Pete Dero

This Sabaton DLC is already included with the pre-order packages.

Greybriar

I bet those who pre-ordered are glad they got it free. ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

jomni

Quote from: Rayfer on June 16, 2016, 08:41:54 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 16, 2016, 08:27:38 AM

Got an answer on the Steam forums.  Once you research the P40 and then its carrier variant, the carrier variant is called a Grumman F3F....that's why I couldn't find it in the construction tree, I was looking for a P40 with the carrier icon.

WTF!  A sexy plane becomes a fat one?  Why do you need to research the P40 first instead of just going straignt to the F3F?  Isn't it a derivative of the F2F?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F3F

Now if say in theory the P40 naval model won the selection and was designated as F3F by the Navy then it should be Curtiss F3F.

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.sg/2011/02/curtiss-p-40-em-porta-avioes.html
Picture above is not an actual naval P40.  They just took off from the carrier to rebase in Africa.

sandman2575

Quote from: jomni on June 16, 2016, 05:18:10 PM
Now if say in theory the P40 naval model won the selection and was designated as F3F by the Navy then it should be Curtiss F3F.

Well, not exactly sure what it would've been, but would not have been "F3F" -- the navy's system for designating aircraft was kind of convoluted -- the letter at the end stood for the corporation that built the aircraft, in this case, "F" stands for "Grumman" -- another example, the "F4U Corsair" where "U" stands for "Vought," the company manufacturer, "F2A Buffalo" where "A" is for "Brewster" corp., etc.