Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

For sure he has no ideas on how to use consoles.  I had to explain Fraps to him.  I dont know when he took these pictures but at lunch today he told me he is in the late 1950s right now and trying to get his allies to commit to a landwar in South America.  His goal is total world domination as the Germans

Boggit

In your opinion, has the game turned out to be Risk on steroids? ???
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Ian C

Quote from: Con on June 30, 2016, 02:39:32 PMat lunch today he told me he is in the late 1950s right now

That explains it then, I had no idea the game could be played that long.

jomni

Quote from: Ian C on June 30, 2016, 04:16:04 PM
Quote from: Con on June 30, 2016, 02:39:32 PMat lunch today he told me he is in the late 1950s right now

That explains it then, I had no idea the game could be played that long.

I don't actually know if there's even an end date.  Based on my first play through, you play out WW2, then surviving countries form new alliances and wage new wars.  Then you get WW3, then WW4, etc.  Actually after each war, not all losing counties disappear, they can survive and form new governments and alignments like what really happened after WW2.

sandman2575

So last night, I was ridiculously pleased with myself for pulling off the encirclement below.

I bagged over 100 Soviet divisions. Then crushed them without mercy.

Serves Ivan right for declaring war on the Fatherland!

Ian C

mikeck

It's to the point now where this forum is just about the only forum I can go to to get accurate information about how good or bad a game is. Bitching, whining, moaning and declaring games to be "unplayable "used to be the MO for a steam forum. Not anymore

When you have a game this complex there are going to be some issues with it, the AI is going to be doing some weird things on occasion and there will be mechanical things we don't understand yet.  Looking at the paradox forums -which are usually pretty tame- , there is just a ton of people complaining about every little thing in the game and declaring that they won't play.  The big reviews and even user reviews are overwhelmingly positive Though  which indicates that people who really care about the game and take the time love it .

" in my game France tried to invade Japan completely unrealistic the game is unplayable!"
" I had a naval battle bug where the battle lasted for one month the game is unplayable !
" in my game Germany started attacking neighbors and winning battles in 1937 there's no way the computer can do that without cheating. I'm never playing this game again !"

This is probably one of the most complex games out right now but anytime something goes wrong or there's a bug people lose their minds. I am glad looking through the last few pages here that I can get a good sense of what the game is like here.  I've been on the forum for a long time but I've always enjoyed that people here will give you a good rundown on what game is like.... not just throw temper tantrums
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

I think the overall vibe on the HOI4 Pdox forum is ridiculous -- extremely negative, like you say. I honestly don't get it. I've been with the series since the original HOI, and I had sky-high expectations for HOI4 leading up launch. My honest assessment is that the game does not disappoint. I'm completely enthralled by it, in fact.  The shortcomings are real and I'm not trying to diminish them -- the AI does need substantial work across the board. The balance for many of the major nations seems quite a bit off -- USSR too powerful, Japan not powerful enough, and so forth. Handling of naval and air combat, as ever, needs improvement. So yeah, there is still a lot of work to do on Pdox's part. But even so, the game just shines in my view. It's strong enough that it's enjoyable even in spite of all the problems -- problems which will start to get ironed out in time, with expansions and patches.

Maybe it's Pollyanna-ish of me, but I think HOI4 is a triumph, despite many legitimate criticisms.

mikeck

Yeah, I can come onto this forum,read the reviews that members have written and get a really good idea of how the game is. Trying to go to paradox, steam or total war forums to get an idea about how a game is -at this point- is just an exercise in futility. All you read is people are longing for master of Orion 2 or Rome total war (which was a buggy mess when it first came out they forget.)

Anyhow, back on topic. I'm just getting ready to start my first game....likely as  Germany. Have you guys found the new patch to be pretty good? Or should I wait a few more days for some hot fixes ?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Rayfer

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 01, 2016, 03:01:43 PM
I think the overall vibe on the HOI4 Pdox forum is ridiculous -- extremely negative, like you say. I honestly don't get it. I've been with the series since the original HOI, and I had sky-high expectations for HOI4 leading up launch. My honest assessment is that the game does not disappoint. I'm completely enthralled by it, in fact.  The shortcomings are real and I'm not trying to diminish them -- the AI does need substantial work across the board. The balance for many of the major nations seems quite a bit off -- USSR too powerful, Japan not powerful enough, and so forth. Handling of naval and air combat, as ever, needs improvement. So yeah, there is still a lot of work to do on Pdox's part. But even so, the game just shines in my view. It's strong enough that it's enjoyable even in spite of all the problems -- problems which will start to get ironed out in time, with expansions and patches.

Maybe it's Pollyanna-ish of me, but I think HOI4 is a triumph, despite many legitimate criticisms.

+1 Well stated.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mikeck on July 01, 2016, 03:39:58 PM

Anyhow, back on topic. I'm just getting ready to start my first game....likely as  Germany. Have you guys found the new patch to be pretty good? Or should I wait a few more days for some hot fixes ?

The patch is very stable and fixes the Enemy of my Enemy access bug that was blindly crippling before.  I don't think there'll be many fixes for the next little while as the devs have said the 1.1 patch was going out right before they were going on vacation, so you might as well get going with it now. 

Germany's a good starting game, as you can generally avoid the biggest AI messes by playing the Germans yourself.  Right now they offer what is probably the most complete and fully playable experience among the majors.

There are also a couple of good German equipment and music mods available that improve the immersion a lot.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

acctingman

Hey gents  O0

So, I'm giving this game another shot. I got frustrated (mainly with my lack of knowledge and patience) and took a break from the game. I'm thinking of playing as either Italy or France and am going to do my best at taking my time and trying not to rush to the end  :crazy2:

I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer and I apologize if it's been asked here before (I really do not want to search through 49 pages of posts....although, I probably will have to at some point  ^-^)

When creating upgraded equipment like Infantry Weapons 2....how does one make sure his/her more experienced units get those new upgrades?
Can we do anything with the "older" equipment?

When creating a new division template, is it best to do it right away or wait a while? What's been your experience?

Lastly, how do you deploy your new divisions? Do you place them right on the front? Some safer province and train them up a bit before sending them to the front?

That's it for now. The rest I'll learn by doing and going over this thread.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

glen55

Quote from: acctingman on July 02, 2016, 01:03:10 PM
Hey gents  O0

So, I'm giving this game another shot. I got frustrated (mainly with my lack of knowledge and patience) and took a break from the game. I'm thinking of playing as either Italy or France and am going to do my best at taking my time and trying not to rush to the end  :crazy2:

I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer and I apologize if it's been asked here before (I really do not want to search through 49 pages of posts....although, I probably will have to at some point  ^-^)

When creating upgraded equipment like Infantry Weapons 2....how does one make sure his/her more experienced units get those new upgrades?

When creating a new division template, is it best to do it right away or wait a while? What's been your experience?

Lastly, how do you deploy your new divisions? Do you place them right on the front? Some safer province and train them up a bit before sending them to the front?

That's it for now. The rest I'll learn by doing and going over this thread.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

1) I don't think there's any way to get the new equipment to more experienced units.  However, when you create a division template, you can set it to elite, regular, or cannon fodder (not sure about the names), and that controls the order they get new equipment in.

2) I don't create a template until I'm ready to use it.  I don't see any point in doing it any other way.  You might decide you have a better use for those XPs.  But you can create a template, make a couple of divisions under it, and then when you get more points edit it into a better template, edit your production plans so that no future units get built under the old template (e.g., if you are planning 4 infantry divisions under the old template and the 2nd one is being built now, cut back the order so it is now for only 2), and build subsequent units under the new template.

3) I don't fully understand what battle plans does with new units that get thrown into the hopper.  I see that -50 modifier on battle plans for units not in position, but still, I don't know any other way to incorporate a new division into an existing attack than to just add it to the army and add it to the army's battle plan.  For sure, in normal circumstances I would not keep new units out of the fray until they exercise their way up to regular.  That just takes too long.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

fabius

1. You can set what equipment a division template gets. So I have 2 identical medium panzer templates. One is SS with best equipment; and other is regular army. You can copy a template at no cost by the way.
So I set my SS to get panthers before anybody else while I only have a few in stock coming of the lines.
Division template edit- click on tab at top "Division Equipment". You can then tick or untick what equipment that template can use.

2. Older equipment. At one point I had a second line infantry covering France using older equipment's. After that I lend lease my older equipment to allies or send to coups.

3. I create a training Army under a field marshal. Set deploy units to province and them direct to that army. They then train a bit before I'm ready to select them and right click them into new front line armies.
Teeth Divisions usually don't get full on map training to regular because I figure the training attrition may as well be in combat. Plus I need them.

Security suppression and garrison divisions stay training but in a working position on the map until regular.

glen55

Quote from: fabius on July 02, 2016, 03:33:30 PM

1. You can set what equipment a division template gets. So I have 2 identical medium panzer templates. One is SS with best equipment; and other is regular army. You can copy a template at no cost by the way.
So I set my SS to get panthers before anybody else while I only have a few in stock coming of the lines.
Division template edit- click on tab at top "Division Equipment". You can then tick or untick what equipment that template can use.

2. Older equipment. At one point I had a second line infantry covering France using older equipment's. After that I lend lease my older equipment to allies or send to coups.

3. I create a training Army under a field marshal. Set deploy units to province and them direct to that army. They then train a bit before I'm ready to select them and right click them into new front line armies.
Teeth Divisions usually don't get full on map training to regular because I figure the training attrition may as well be in combat. Plus I need them.

Security suppression and garrison divisions stay training but in a working position on the map until regular.

Good response.  Where my response differs from this one, trust this one.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower