Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on July 11, 2016, 07:58:45 AM

It amazes me that even after many, many hours of play this game still has layers of depth I haven't realized were there.  Thanks to Ian, Pete and others for pointing them out.

You're welcome. I meant 'see Allied War Plans' BTW -original post amended.

Yes, the game has things I never discovered for some time...

Ian C

Here's another tip:

How To Modify Your Unit In The Field

This is a great way to set specific divisions in the field to reserve divisions, stripped-down versions, bolstered or heavy versions.

1. Open the Division Designer and select the existing Division Template of the specific type of Division you want to change in the field.

Here, we are going to change the Italian 1st Infantry Division from a front--line status, to a reserve (with less priority for upgrades and equipment).

Duplicate the Infantry Template and rename it.

Change it to a reserve division.

2. Go back to your unit and click on it's icon

3. In the Unit Details window, click on the Change Division Template icon, and change it to your new reserve Infantry Division template. Notice that the unit neither loses nor gains equipment or experience and it becomes a reserve division.

This method can be used to modify specific units in a very customised way, for example, if you send some of your Armoured Divisions to the North African Deserts and you want to simply add Logistics Companies to them, while the rest of your Armour remains in Europe without those companies.

jamus34

Question ...playing as Italy in early 1940 we (the axis) got France to capitulate however there are still regions that show as France owned in France. I thought if a country capitulates it gives up all holdings?

FYI between this and the most recent Stellaris patch almost all of my time is being taken up. Still would like more control of somethings Stellaris but both games are accessible and fun.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on July 13, 2016, 08:00:06 AM
Question ...playing as Italy in early 1940 we (the axis) got France to capitulate however there are still regions that show as France owned in France. I thought if a country capitulates it gives up all holdings?

FYI between this and the most recent Stellaris patch almost all of my time is being taken up. Still would like more control of somethings Stellaris but both games are accessible and fun.

Sounds like Germany may have taken the Vichy option. This creates a new French state in the west, but it should be allied with and controlled by the Axis.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Here's another mod worth checking out, until the Scandinavians return from their vacation to fix things. It fixes the desert issues in Africa.

"This mod creates areas that are impassable. It should make the game more historical in terms of who fought where, but also stop the AI letting their divisions bleed to death in low infra areas. "

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699397350

jomni

Is the war over and you had a peace conference? Or is it still ongoing?

jamus34

Quote from: jomni on July 13, 2016, 09:54:04 PM

Is the war over and you had a peace conference? Or is it still ongoing?
good question... I do not think there was a peace treaty, just a message that France capitulated.
Insert witty comment here.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 13, 2016, 08:07:00 AM

Sounds like Germany may have taken the Vichy option. This creates a new French state in the west, but it should be allied with and controlled by the Axis.

It's also worth noting that in the current version of the game, France retains all of its colonial holdings after its capitulation.  Not sure this is WAD as historically Vichy should inherit much of those. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Electric_Strawberry

I'm just starting to get into HOI IV and I've learned a lot from this thread.  I know that several of you have a well deserved aversion to the Paradox forum, but I found this there.  It's been quite helpful: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/air-mechanics-combat-mission-quick-guide.947290/

There is also this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLOehWwWQepZ3dKU2M2amxGbE0/view

jomni

Can you stop the Zombie Horde?

Grim.Reaper

Saw this announcement about future expansion, seems like people concerned the blitz command is paid feature....not sure how I feel about it, on the surface since an extension to orders, seems like maybe that should be free, but likely doesn't matter to me since I would probably pick up the expansions anyway:)

Hi everyone! Today I will start talking about features coming in the future expansion (still not announced yet, so its name shall remain under fog of war). First up are things related to battle plans and managing unit orders

Paid Feature: Blitz Command
The Offensive Lines in battle plans are designed to expand as a front expands and you take territory. This works fine if what you want to do is push along a broad front, but not as well when you are trying to have several orders in the same area active at once or doing encirclements or more detailed things. As long as such are a couple of provinces microing some armored divisions to do it is no big hurdle, but for bigger stuff that becomes a lot of work. So, to improve on this we are adding another tool to the battle plan toolbox for you to use: Blitz Command. A blitz command works differently in that when you activate it it remembers the area you tell it to take and will do that without readjusting its width or caring about other things getting in its way. Perfect for drawing pincer movements and encirclements!

We have also worked on the AI's ability to identify encirclements and choke points, so even though it's easier to plan an encirclement now actually successfully pulling them off will be more difficult.

Free Feature: Configurable Garrison Order
The Garrison order has gotten some love and you can now configure what you want it to guard and care about. So if you only care about ports and coastlines you can select only ports and coastlines for the order. It will also help you a bit and count up how many divisions are at least needed so that it can place one on each spot according to your order.

sandman2575

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 15, 2016, 05:40:22 AM
The Offensive Lines in battle plans are designed to expand as a front expands and you take territory. This works fine if what you want to do is push along a broad front, but not as well when you are trying to have several orders in the same area active at once or doing encirclements or more detailed things. As long as such are a couple of provinces microing some armored divisions to do it is no big hurdle, but for bigger stuff that becomes a lot of work. So, to improve on this we are adding another tool to the battle plan toolbox for you to use: Blitz Command. A blitz command works differently in that when you activate it it remembers the area you tell it to take and will do that without readjusting its width or caring about other things getting in its way. Perfect for drawing pincer movements and encirclements!

We have also worked on the AI's ability to identify encirclements and choke points, so even though it's easier to plan an encirclement now actually successfully pulling them off will be more difficult.

I generally have no problem with Pdox's DLC policies, but something this essential really should be a free feature, not a paid one.

Rayfer

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 15, 2016, 08:39:55 AM

I generally have no problem with Pdox's DLC policies, but something this essential really should be a free feature, not a paid one.

Agreed. Perhaps this is just one feature/addition among others that will be part of this DLC?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on October 15, 2016, 09:19:32 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 15, 2016, 08:39:55 AM

Agreed. Perhaps this is just one feature/addition among others that will be part of this DLC?

yes, this is just one of them, they are just starting to disclose them...but still think this likely should be part of the "FREE" patch even if other features included.

acctingman

I'm staying clear of the game. I will admit, I gave up. I tried (put in 30+ hours or so) but it was just too much of a struggle for me. A developer can charge whatever they want for a feature but we have the choice, with our wallets, to disagree.

Kudos to those of you that plowed ahead with this game and had fun!  O0