Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Looks great! Super nice gear, man.
But indeed, a project to 'mount' them more like a cockpit would really be the cherry on the cake!  :bd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MOS:96B2P

Very cool.  I look forward to seeing photos of it all in a future sim pit.

Jarhead0331

My latest piece of kit is the Simshaker Jetpad. I picked it up since everyone who has it seems to rave about it. Like, once you fly with it, you can't fly without it. It's cool...I guess...but I really just feel like I'm playing DCS while sitting on a massager. I don't really feel like it adds such tremendous immersion to the VR experience like so many have claimed. Ultimately, It really just feels like I'm sitting on a vibrating pad. I think it is most effective on the ground when starting up and taxiing, and to give you physical cues in flight when pulling high G's or deploying or stowing gears, hooks, probes, etc. otherwise, in flight, I'm just not feeling like it adds a tremendous amount to the experience.

Shout out to Andre though. He shipped a day after I ordered and I had it 4 days later.

Anybody else using these? Perhaps I've adjusted the settings poorly?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dammit Carl!

Good gravy, that's a lot of cool stuff!  Stupid question Jarhead, but how "easy," is it to play things other than flight sims with all that stuff around?  I know I get "fidgety," while playing FPSes, so I'd be bumping into things and knocking stuff all out of whack if I had a setup like yours.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 20, 2020, 08:20:45 AM
Good gravy, that's a lot of cool stuff!  Stupid question Jarhead, but how "easy," is it to play things other than flight sims with all that stuff around?  I know I get "fidgety," while playing FPSes, so I'd be bumping into things and knocking stuff all out of whack if I had a setup like yours.

Not easy at all.

I've had to switch to a wireless keyboard and mouse and play from a table top I installed onto an arm of my chair. Its not the best situation. Fortunately, I have two other rigs that I use for most of my "non-flight" gaming so I use this crazy set-up almost exclusively for flight. Still, its my highest end system so I do run some other things that do not require all that gear from time to time and admittedly it is inconvenient.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 20, 2020, 06:53:03 AM
Anybody else using these? Perhaps I've adjusted the settings poorly?

Might be!  Have you considered 'clipping'?
If you have too many effects going on at once you get clipping; its when the motor is driven at max output and no difference between effects can be made anymore.
For this reason I always leave the engine rumble and turbulence off.
Also increasing the gain on the G force setting helps.

This way the seat only responds when you fly your aircraft on the edge of the envelope or when you make aircraft configuration changes (speed brake, flaps, gear).
Also keep in mind that setting an effect slider on max will make the motor run at max rumble not leaving any room for added effects.
So think about which effects often need to be put through at the same time and balance their sliders to have the more important one give a slightly higher output.

It takes a bit of trial and error, but I am certainly one of the people who won't fly without JetPad anymore, especially in VR!

Another great application is Racing games!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2020, 02:33:22 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on October 29, 2020, 02:05:47 PM
Steam sale is on, lots of aircraft are 50% or 33% off.

I got the new P-47 and finally the MiG-21.

I'm considering the Jug, but I just never fly WWII in DCS.

What's wrong with WW2 in DCS?

My brain doesn't have enough capacity for modern systems right now and I feel like going BRRRRRT over Normandy beaches.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on November 25, 2020, 06:18:45 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 29, 2020, 02:33:22 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on October 29, 2020, 02:05:47 PM
Steam sale is on, lots of aircraft are 50% or 33% off.

I got the new P-47 and finally the MiG-21.

I'm considering the Jug, but I just never fly WWII in DCS.

What's wrong with WW2 in DCS?

My brain doesn't have enough capacity for modern systems right now and I feel like going BRRRRRT over Normandy beaches.

Nothing is wrong with it, per se. I just have other WWII aviation outlets, so I focus my limited mental assets on more modern aircraft in DCS.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Any update on the dynamic campaign DLC?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on November 27, 2020, 12:11:44 PM
Any update on the dynamic campaign DLC?

Sadly, they have been very quiet about that...I follow their weekly updates very closely.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Didn't get the chills until the reveal at the end.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Lowenstaat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2020, 02:59:23 PM

Great video! Even better ending! I just read an email from them that DCS World will be free to play from December 22 to January 5 with sales on most products from 30% to 50% off.
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

Redwolf

Looking forward to demo test the new A-10.

haha plane goes brrrrrrrrt

Yskonyn

That was pretty cool indeed! And they showed the 'bulb' version as well!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 18, 2020, 04:39:25 PM

That was pretty cool indeed! And they showed the 'bulb' version as well!

Yes. I think that is the big surprise. Most people were expecting the AH-64A...this is the "D" model. The Longbow.

Half the video focuses on WWII assets. They have really been putting a lot of work into that stuff. Maybe it's time to give it a try?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog