Main Menu

Share your videos!

Started by W8taminute, July 15, 2014, 04:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

Quote from: Rayfer on January 14, 2015, 08:22:22 AM
RB....that was quite interesting and quite fast paced and frantic.  The intro mentioned 10 turns....they all played out in one minute? I don't own the game so I was a bit confused by that.

This particular mission required me to survive and defend the elevator for ten turns, at which point, story-wise, reinforcements would secure the top floor of this building.  In Frozen Synapse terms, 10 turns is a long time.  Most missions are usually over in five or six turns because combat is so deadly. 

If you like cyberpunk or tactical, turn-based games, I highly recommend getting Frozen Synapse.  I consider it one of the finest PC games ever.  The SP campaign is enjoyable with a well-written story and lots of replayability due to its 54 missions with randomized terrain (each playthrough is slightly different, as I amply discovered when I had to do this mission 15 times - LOL!), and the MP is just as fun with it tense gameplay and asynchronous WEGO resolutions (it is a testament to this game that the community is still plenty active - I kept getting spammed with game requests while playing this mission).  And I consider the music to be the best I have ever heard in a game.

Quote from: BarthheartI remember that mission! What a pain.  :tickedoff: Finally got it after about 10 tries.  :knuppel2: I always lost at least 1 vatform so nice job!  O0

Yeah!   ;D  By this point I was used to the mildly challenging missions of the SP campaign, so when this one kept piling on more and more enemy vatforms, I was stunned.  I had to laugh when one of my operators - the girl hacker - tells Esh "Don't worry, we have this under control."  I was like, "Speak for yourself, girl!"   ;D

EDIT: I just realized I did lose one unit.  A shotty to a sniper.  Missed his corpse in the action.  :(
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Flying a solo sortie in a Pfalz D.III, I discover a SPAD attacking one of our balloons on the Wargrounds server..

JudgeDredd

Quote from: RooksBailey on January 14, 2015, 04:14:14 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 14, 2015, 08:22:22 AM
RB....that was quite interesting and quite fast paced and frantic.  The intro mentioned 10 turns....they all played out in one minute? I don't own the game so I was a bit confused by that.

This particular mission required me to survive and defend the elevator for ten turns, at which point, story-wise, reinforcements would secure the top floor of this building.  In Frozen Synapse terms, 10 turns is a long time.  Most missions are usually over in five or six turns because combat is so deadly. 

If you like cyberpunk or tactical, turn-based games, I highly recommend getting Frozen Synapse.  I consider it one of the finest PC games ever.  The SP campaign is enjoyable with a well-written story and lots of replayability due to its 54 missions with randomized terrain (each playthrough is slightly different, as I amply discovered when I had to do this mission 15 times - LOL!), and the MP is just as fun with it tense gameplay and asynchronous WEGO resolutions (it is a testament to this game that the community is still plenty active - I kept getting spammed with game requests while playing this mission).  And I consider the music to be the best I have ever heard in a game.

Quote from: BarthheartI remember that mission! What a pain.  :tickedoff: Finally got it after about 10 tries.  :knuppel2: I always lost at least 1 vatform so nice job!  O0

Yeah!   ;D  By this point I was used to the mildly challenging missions of the SP campaign, so when this one kept piling on more and more enemy vatforms, I was stunned.  I had to laugh when one of my operators - the girl hacker - tells Esh "Don't worry, we have this under control."  I was like, "Speak for yourself, girl!"   ;D

EDIT: I just realized I did lose one unit.  A shotty to a sniper.  Missed his corpse in the action.  :(
It looks too frenetic for me
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

One of my matches in the full real Sim Mode event in War Thunder, operating a Tiger.   Fun stuff!

Rayfer

Great video Nefaro......tough ending for you though.  I like the way the game shows your hits on an enemy tank.

bobarossa

Nefaro, your video made me download War Thunder today.  What a blast!  I don't think I've had so much fun since I started flying Airwarrior 20 years ago.  Don't know what I'm doing yet but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Nefaro

Quote from: bobarossa on January 22, 2015, 07:38:16 PM
Nefaro, your video made me download War Thunder today.  What a blast!  I don't think I've had so much fun since I started flying Airwarrior 20 years ago.  Don't know what I'm doing yet but I'm sure I can figure it out.

You may need to tinker with the Mouse Aim controls a bit, if you are using those.  They may default to "Mouse Joystick", I'm not sure these days.  But you probably want the regular mouse pointer mode and you may also have to invert the vertical axis depending on your preference.

For the aircraft, I bound the control surfaces to WASDQE and the Throttle on L.Shift (down) and Space(Up) since I have Engine Boost set to being held down for use.  You don't have to use those control surface keys, as there is an automatic flight "instructor" that will use them to point your plane at your mouse cursor point.  But they do come in handy sometimes when  you want to override the instructor.  After those you'll want the usual Gear, Flaps, and Airbrakes (although mostly just some dive bombers have the latter).  Also the Drop Bomb and Launch Rocket ones.  I also remapped the Mouse Look to my right mouse button so I could hold it down and look around.  I found TrackIR to be very disorienting in 3rd person view while using the mouse but maybe I'll mess with the settings to get it all adjusted eventually.   Leave the "Mouse Aim" tab selected in the Controls settings so that it is the active scheme, before saving and exiting that screen.   Note the Zoom view toggle too.

You can use Mouse Aim in both Arcade and Realistic Battles Modes.  Simulation Mode requires you to either set up a proper joystick or the in-game mouse joystick emulator.   I've not had much luck getting my joystick sensitivity settings to my liking so I don't play aircraft in Sim mode.  Someone else probably does around here so they may be able to give some tips on it if you need them.  There are also many YT videos about such things. 

Arcade Mode is probably the best way to start, of course, and it helps that you can generally earn more XP and Lions per time spent there since it's just a big scrap with respawns, no take-off and climb out required.  Just be aware that you can't boom & zoom as well in Arcade since the stall modelling is very relaxed (a bit too much even for Arcade I think) but you can still do it with enough altitude/energy advantage.

Make sure you have all the Ammo types, artillery calls, air support calls mapped to keys in the Tanks/Ground Forces Control settings tab too.  The two zooms - the Gunner's Sight and the regular Zoom view like in the aircraft section. 

I've customized much of my key map & settings so I don't recall what the defaults are.  You'll figure out where you want to put stuff with a little practice.   If you want to mess with it all while in-game, click on one of your a/c or tanks and select "Test Drive".  That will put you into an empty map where you can fly/drive/shoot at your leisure and pauses when you hit Escape to adjust your settings.  O0

jomni

I never really changed the aircraft control scheme. Default is fine with me  (I don't play sim mode).

bobarossa

I've only played arcade tanks so far.  But I'm sure I will need the info when I get around to flying.  Thanks.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Get out of arcade!  You're doing yourself a huge disservice by limiting yourself to it (and you'll have to force yourself to re-learn the game and drop a lot of bad habits you'll have picked up there if and when you do make the jump to RB or SB).

I fly with joystick and use the full-real controls for planes in RB and SB.  Setting up the joystick curves is a bit of a chore but it's doable and I find it a lot more fun and rewarding flying with a HOTAS setup than keyboard and mouse.  It's a trade off because the mouse aiming is much more precise than what you can achieve with a joystick but being able to adjust trim axes, prop pitch, and radiators lets you stay in control when you're on the edges of the flight envelope so you can out-fly the mouse guys (and man to they whine about it when you do.)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not my vid but here's another one showing off how things work in the full-real sim mode.  I found it interesting as he's driving a T-34-85 which is what I prefer to use but his style of play is completely the opposite of mine.  He blitzes straight into the middle of a town (I never go into towns if I can avoid it at all) and once he's in there, he stays pretty static  (I use the speed of the T-34 to try to get around behind guys).  Once the VP falls, he wastes time hunting for a lone tanker in the city rather than pushing the next objective.  Does get some good shots in though. 

W8taminute

Sidestrafe along with Bismarck are the two best War Thunder youtubers IMHO.  I also like baronvongames strictly for his entertaining style of video.  Sidestrafe and Bismarck are excellent instructional teachers on the game. 

Good stuff SDR!   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

Just a little demo of what I do with my A20 Havoc in War Thunder.  The following is a Domination Arcade battle I fought today.  Went in for a bombing run with my bazooka mounted A20 and attracted a lot of attention.  At one point I lost one of my engines and decided to head for a safe area to land.  A Typhoon decided I would be an easy kill since I was already smoking and my fuselage was severally damaged.  I showed him what happens when you mess with a wounded A20!

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tuna

Great video!.. I hate how people always try to ram you when they can't shoot you down!
:crazy2: