Main Menu

Starsector

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, May 10, 2016, 07:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 01, 2017, 04:02:47 PM
It took me three times just to win the fight in the tutorial.  I flew around in the main game for a bit, made some cash, and then died hard in my first engagement that used fleets instead of just 1 v 1.

Yeah. The controls are good. The UI is good. The information feedback is good. Its not a knock on the game that it is so difficult, but man, it really is hard to control your ship and a fleet in combat. I'm really not sure how people succeed in this. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm playing with mouse and keyboard.  Hopefully it's just a case of practice making it become more second nature but the sheer number of buttons is making it pretty overwhelming right now.  I can't count the number of times I've accidentally dropped my shields and started venting flux when I was trying to do something less suicidal.

spelk

It's pausable real time, and from the fleet tactical map you can assign various activities to ships or groups of ships. Like an RTS a bit.

I think the trickiest part is that you have to control the ship with WASD in a 2d newtonian physics setup. These things won't respond quickly, but pressing 'C' seems to apply some sort of thrusters/brake setup to dampen down any inertial movement from engine use.

Getting your weapon arcs on target, whilst managing your shields and flux setup, venting wherever possible is a bit of a juggling act for one ship. You have to rely on the AI to manage your fleet ships. Pause, lay down tactical commands, unpause, fly and shoot a bit, pause and re-asses. :)

Think it will take a fair amount of practice to get good at it. Looks to have some depth to it.

Yskonyn

So is this game a bit like Void Expanse and SPAZ?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Decent walkthrough of the new patch here.

vyshka

One thing that popped up a while back, was people pitting ai controlled fleets against each other:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11539.0

Yskonyn

After watching the LP this sure looks to be my cup of tea! The fiddly pilot kind of tea. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

steve58

Also bought this way back when it was Starfarer.  Downloaded the latest to see how its progressed.  Does it ever ask for a serial number?  I want to check if my sn is still recognized.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on May 04, 2017, 12:29:56 PM
Also bought this way back when it was Starfarer.  Downloaded the latest to see how its progressed.  Does it ever ask for a serial number?  I want to check if my sn is still recognized.

Yes. It will ask for a SN if an old version is not already on your system.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Made me panic and go look for my login & serial #. 

Whew!  Still had it written down.

Been so long, I regularly forget about it. 

This seems to be like another one of those games that is in permanent Dev Purgatory.  With a trickle of advancement over quite a few years, but never complete.  :-[

steve58

Thanks, JH.   I've uninstalled any/all previous versions, ran ccleaner, etc. and reloaded the latest version (0.8a, RC19).  I've fired it up a few times, but it still hasn't asked for a serial number.  Guess it will eventually.  :-\

Quote from: Nefaro on May 05, 2017, 05:58:11 AM
Made me panic and go look for my login & serial #. 

Whew!  Still had it written down.

Been so long, I regularly forget about it. 

This seems to be like another one of those games that is in permanent Dev Purgatory.  With a trickle of advancement over quite a few years, but never complete.  :-[

Yup, went hunting for my purchase info as well.  Got it on May 4, 2011!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

^Interesting. I installed on a new system and it asked for the SN. When installing a new version on a system with a prior install, it never asked. Perhaps something in the registry?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

^possibly, but thats one reason I ran ccleaner (to clean up the registry after install). Not a big deal.  I've got a sn if/when the game asks for it...

Silent Disapproval Robot

I thought this game had died in early access but they released the patch notes for version 0.9 (not yet released but...soon?)

QuoteCampaign

Colony building:
        Player can establish a colony on a planet they've surveyed
        Requires crew, machinery, and supplies
        Can change the planet's name, either when colony is established or at any point later on
        Can build "Industries" and "Structures" (same thing, mechanically) at a colony
        Some example ones:
            Mining
            Farming
            Spaceport
            Heavy Industry
            Orbital stations (of several varieties)
            Military Base
            Tech-Mining
            ... and a number of other ones
        Some industries can be upgraded, i.e. "Patrol HQ" -> "Military Base", or "Heavy Industry" -> "Orbital Works"
        Most industries are known from the start, but a few more exotic ones can be learned
        Can set a "stockpiling level" for a colony to have it build up extra resources the player can take
            Stockpiling costs credits, but somewhat less than the base cost of the commodities
            Stockpiles will be used to counter temporary shortages
        Player colonies have a "local resources" submarket where they can take from, or add to, stockpiles. There's a "storage" submarket for resources that must remain untouched.
        Player colonies do *not* have an Open Market unless there's a "Commerce" industry
        Colonies start at size 3; population growth depends on many factors and can be directly invested into
        Can assign AI cores to manage industries for various, significant benefits
        A Military Base produces patrols which will defend the colony
        Can hire Administrators (up to a limit) to manage your colonies
        Can learn skills that improve the colonies under your control
            Maximum number under personal control is soft-limited - reduced stability for going beyond
        Can assign Alpha Cores to manage your colonies, for a massive benefit
        Establishing the first colony also creates a new player faction
            Can set the faction name and select a flag
            Can adjust both at any point in the future
    Blueprints for ship hulls, weapons, and fighter LPCs:
        Required by Heavy Industry to build ships
            Ship production "quality" is based on many factors and affects the number of d-mods a produced hull will have
            Can be improved by certain items found during exploration
        Some basic blueprints always known from the start, rest have to be acquired
        Blueprints can be prioritized to get the desired fleet composition and weapon/fighter use
        Affect fleet production by player colonies
        Player can custom-order known ships and weapons
            Will be built based on the monthly production capacity of their heavy industry
            And delivered to a designated gathering point, along with some crew, fuel, and supplies
    New economy system to support colony mechanics
        Player buying/selling has direct impact on market's available commodity numbers
        Player colonies can become suppliers for other factions and generate export income for the player
            Relative "accessibility" of colonies determines who the best supplier is
            Player has several tools to manage this, from establishing waystations to piracy
    Officers found in sleeper pods can now be up to level 15 instead of 5
    Administrators can now be found in sleeper pods; likeliest place to find high-skilled ones
        Can now go over the maximum number of officers and administrators
            Can't use the ones over maximum
            Can't hire to go over maximum
            Mainly useful to be able to find officers/admins in sleeper pods, while already at maximum
    Factions
        Factions have access to ships/weapons/fighters based on their blueprints
        AI ship loadouts are dynamically generated, based on what's available
        Factions have been adjusted so that their available blueprints and doctrine make each more distinct
            Examples:
            The Hegemony favors larger ships and high-quality officers
            The Luddic Church, while also mostly drawing from low-tech designs:
                Favors larger numbers of ships with lower-quality officers
                Makes extensive use of Converted Hangars
                Has access to a faction-specific "Perdition"-class torpedo bomber
    Faction doctrine: settings that affect faction fleet composition and ship behavior
        Each setting can go from 1 to 5
        Warships - proportion of regular combat ships found in fleets, on average
        Carriers - proportion of carriers
        Phase Ships - proportion of phase ships
        Warships, Carriers, and Phase Ships must add up to 7 points
        Officer Quality, Ship Quality, and More Ships - must also add up to 7 points
        Ship Size - independent setting, determines average size of ships preferred
        Aggression - determines personality of officers; does not affect the player's own fleet
            Also applies to combat personality/behavior of ships without officers, both for the player and for other factions
            This aspect *does* affect the player's own fleet
        Each faction now has an appropriate doctrine setting
    Monthly income and expenses:
        Outposts/colonies
            Base income from a population
            Upkeep for each industry; based on hazard rating of planet
                A lower-hazard planet can support more industries on the "base income"; exact numbers still TBD
                Can go above that for a negative income
            Exports: income for becoming the best provider of a commodity to another faction's colony
                Incurs "overhead" when there are many exports from the same colony
                *Always* better to have more exports, but the added benefit drops off quickly
        Storage - 1% of base value of stored ships/cargo
        Crew, officer, and administrator salaries
        Presented in a detailed monthly report

New tab: "Command", shortcut "D". Allows player to:
        Manage colonies
        Can also see which markets you have storage at and what's stored where
        View latest income report
        Manage the doctrine and blueprint priorities
        Make custom production orders
    Cargo screen
        Can quick-transfer (or sell) a lot of cargo by holding down Alt then mousing over the stacks
            Can be turned off via settings.json
        Improved quantity selection slider for picking up part of a stack
        Supplies/fuel/crew/marines/heavy machinery now shown first in sorted cargo; other commodities also shown before weapons/fighter chips/etc
    Revamped intel screen
        Tag-based filtering system
        Always shows map
        UI is updated based on the current state of missions and such
        Can accept and abandon certain missions directly from the intel screen
        Can flag pieces of intel as "important"
        Intel is now "live" and does not require a new message for the information displayed to change
    Person bounties:
        Will now pay out and increase reputation when hostile or worse with offering faction
        Information given re: where to find target now includes constellation and some planet/star system type hints, but no actual star system unless it's a lone star
        Reward no longer based on market stability
    System bounties:
        Will now pay out and increase reputation when hostile or worse with offering faction
        Most likely in systems containing markets hostile to each other
    Faction commissions:
        Have to talk to a high-ranking faction official to get one
        Pays a level-based monthly stipend in addition to a small bounty for enemy ships
        Partially restores standing with other factions as hostility status changes
        Can be resigned; smaller reputation penalty if in person
            Restores standing with factions that became hostile as a result of holding the commission
    Faction hostilities: fixed various issues re: hostilities properly ending and total number/frequency
        Last for at least 6 months, and rarely more than a full cycle
        Hostilities between Hegemony-TriTachyon and other starting hostilities between major factions (i.e. not pirates/pathers) are no longer permanent
    Smugglers now have a low reputation impact if attacked, i.e. won't turn entire faction instantly hostile
    Chance to have advance intel about departures of trade fleets/smugglers, including timeframe and cargo
    Changed options for colony interaction
        Can open all core UI tabs with corresponding shortcut instead of just a subset
        Added "visit dockside bar" option; details are WIP
        Added "Consider your military options" option; sub-menu allows player to attack orbital station
            Will also contain a few TBD mechanics re: planet-based military actions
    Dropping cargo pods may now distract pirate fleets; duration of distraction (if any) depends on quantity of goods ejected
    Autoresolve (AI vs AI, and auto-resolved pursuit battles):
        Takes d-mods/production quality into account
        Works with stations and modular ships
    Made various improvements to "where is this entity" mission/bounty/etc description text
    Toned down bounty level-scaling
    Added "Compromised Storage" dmod, reduces cargo/crew/fuel capacity of ship by 30%
    Added to Mudskipper Mk.2
    Added Gremlin-class lowtech phase frigate, with pirate and Luddic Path versions
    Buy and sell cost of ships now includes the base supply cost of their current combat readiness (i.e., no/minimal credit loss for recovering CR on a ship and then selling it)
        Similar CR-based modifier added to supplies etc recovered when scuttling a ship
    Added two new torpedo bomber wings: Perdition and Cobra
    Fleet AI:
        Much less easily sidetracked by chases; patrols in particular will largely focus on defending their objectives
        When orbiting a planet, will spread out to try to avoid overlap with other orbiting fleets
    Reduced number of campaign ship contrails; improves performance a lot and should generally not be noticeable
    Sensors: combined detection range in hyperspace now limited to 2000 units (was 5000)
    Added "generate name" option to colony renaming dialog
    Installed fighters now shown in the fleet screen
    Trade fleet routes will stop by a waystation if appropriate
    Fighting independent scavenger fleets will now only slightly reduce standing with the independents
    Temporary/event-based market conditions no longer have "event" label, grouped to the left of other conditions instead
        Condition icon size scales down if there are too many to fit in the available width
    Lava planets will no longer show up as part of the combat background (too bright)
    Jump-point tooltip no longer shows planet types in unexplored star systems
    Number of d-mods is now shown for each fleet member in the campaign fleet tooltip
    D-mods are now also highlighted in the ship tooltip's list of hullmods
    Made "fleet despawning" animation smoother
    Number of supplies UI indicator will now include the picked-up supply stack, if any
    When a course is laid in and you approach a jump-point, selecting "leave" will also disable autopilot

Silent Disapproval Robot

Miscellaneous

Updated to use newer version of xstream (1.4.10)
    Cleaned up controls screen - updated text and removed commands that are no longer in the game
    Made some improvements to game-saving code that should speed it up on non-SSD drives
    Made in-combat "exit game" button red to avoid potential confusion with "claim victory"
    Vertical scrollbar active area now wider, indicator expands when mouse is in active area
    Improved algorithm for automatically generating weapon groups
    Improved game startup speed when sound is enabled by up to around 40% total, depending on the system specs

Orbital Stations

Can be built at a colony to provide defenses and support nearby friendly fleets in combat
    Existing colonies have these as appropriate
    Three tiers: Orbital Station, Battlestation, and Star Fortress
    Three tech levels/styles: low tech, midline, and high tech
        Roughly similar combat power of each style, but different tactical approaches
    Dynamically fitted with weapons based on faction weapon availability
    Higher-tier stations are bolstered with drones and minefields

Combat

Improved proximity fuse range detection vs longer/thinner ships
    Phase ships:
        Doom: new ship system, "Mine Strike", spawns high-damage, high-delay proximity fuse mines
            Huge buff overall
        Harbinger: system changed to Quantum Disruptor
        Afflictor: system changed to Entropy Amplifier
    Various performance improvements, should be around 20-30% faster
    Toggling autofire on on an already-selected weapon group will make that group autofire
        Can override and get manual control by selecting the group again
    Fixed bug that caused the fighter rate replacement multiplier to apply twice
    New graphics for Annihilator Pod medium weapon
    Greatly improved missile tracking
        And fixed issues with ECCM sometimes making it worse; it should now be a significant improvement
    Hurricane MIRV:
        Made missile and warheads more visible
        Reduced number of warheads to 7
        Warheads are now two-stage (aim then unguided burn), but much more accurate
    Integrated Targeting Unit: increased OP cost for frigates to 4
    Centurion: middle two turrets can now face front; arcs expanded
    Low CR no longer reduces missile weapon ammo
    Renamed "Guardian PD System" to "Paladin PD System" (reasons REDACTED)
    Colossus Mk.3: removed fighter bay and Ill-Advised Modifications
        Added "Converted Cargo Bay" that adds 2 converted fighter bays

Ship AI

Fixed issue that was causing small weapon groups made up of hardpoints to not be set to autofire
    Will no longer fire low-ammo missiles vs overloaded fighters
    Fixed issue with too many carriers auto-escorting nearby combat ships
    Reduced tendency of carriers to assign their fighter wings to escort nearby ships instead of attacking
    Carriers assigned a "search & destroy" order will no longer use nearby ships to hide behind
    Improved logic for multiple ships not using too many total missiles vs a single target
    Fixed issue that was causing carriers to order fighters to "engage" too far from target, causing unnecessary loss of the 0-flux boost
    Fixed issue that was causing carriers with some support fighters to not order the other fighters to engage
    Fixed bug that caused a retreating ship with front shields to keep them on when it was not necessary
    More likely to set smaller groups to autofire when flux is low, including hardpoint groups
    Improved autofire flux management
        Will autofire most kinds of weapon groups, depending on flux level and dissipation
        Able to keep on pressure with low-flux weapons when on high flux
    Improved flux management for high-flux weapons such as Heavy Blasters
    Fixed bug that was causing fighters to only rarely fire missiles/torpedoes at low-hitpoint targets
    Improved omni shield use vs phase ships
    Fixed bug that was causing the AI to improperly evaluate where it has the most remaining armor
    Ships gradually get more aggressive when their peak time and CR tick down

Modding

Fixed crash from left-clicking station in hyperspace
    Error message due to incorrectly configured music set is now comprehensible
    Ships with modules:
        Modules are no longer configured using weapon groups
        Added "modules" section to .variant files instead
        Modules will be ordered in listed order provided "modules" is an array of objects
    Station/ship-with-module weapons no longer rendered in separate pass above everything
        Use module order to control rendering order instead
    Variants, hulls, skins, skills, weapons, projectiles: will be merged with core files when loaded
        Meaning, a mod can now provide a partial file with just the changes rather than a complete file
    Renamed FleetDespawnListener to FleetEventListener
    Added reportBattleOccurred() method to FleetEventListener
    Fixed bug to do with beamFireOnlyOnFullCharge and venting while firing at max charge
    Proximity fuse projectiles with a trigger range of 0 will now only explode at end of range
    MutableStat values no longer capped to be >= 0
    Added better error message when game crashes due to an invalid ship system id being specified
    Added MissileAPI.interruptContrail() - needs to be called twice, once at old and once at new location
    Added MarketAPI.get/setEconGroup()
        Markets within the same econ group only trade with each other and are not visible when viewing nearby markets etc from a market in a different group. Default group is null (the value, not the string).
    Added ShipAIPlugin.getConfig() method that returns a ShipAIConfig (or null if a custom ship AI doesn't support the core config parameters)
    Added "tags" and "rarity" columns to ship_data.csv
        Skins do NOT inherit tags from the parent ship, but can have their own tags specified via a "tags" json array
        Default d-hulls also do not inherit any tags from the base hull
    Added "tech/manufacturer" column to ship and weapon data
        Defaults to "Common" if unspecified
        "manufacturer" key to override in ship skin file
    SectorEntityTokens and MarketAPIs stored in a MemoryAPI will be replaced by their ids in save files, and restored on load
        For this and other reasons, code must gracefully handle a case where an entity is put into memory but then is no longer there or *is* there but is no longer in any LocationAPI
    Removed dHullOverlaySmall/Large from hull_styles.json; replaced with single dHullOverlay, which should be large-ish and will tile to cover bigger hulls (instead of being upscaled)
    hull_styles.json: now 3 d-mod overlays per style; light/medium/heavy, in only one size
        d-mod overlays tile for larger ships
    Moved get/setModuleVariant() methods from FleetMemberAPI to ShipVariantAPI
    Weapon group generation:
        Added "GROUP_LINKED" and "GROUP_ALTERNATION" AI hints to weapon_data; will attempt to place weapons with those in separate groups and set them to linked or alternating
        Added groupTag column to weapon_data; when set, will heavily favor placing weapons with same groupTag into the same group, without other weapons in it
        Will not auto-generate weapon groups for AI fleets until combat starts, for performance reasons
    Fixed word-wrapping issue when a single word is too long for a line
    Added limited support for drones with SHIP collision class; will no longer crash into mothership
    Added "canUseWhileRightClickSystemOn" to ship system definitions
    Missiles now support the "jitter" effect, above the missile sprite only
    Changes to fleet despawn logic: listeners will now be notified before the fleet member list is cleared
        Allows seeing fleet state at time of despawn if it wasn't snapshotted
        Fleet members removed afterwards
    Added CollisionGridAPI that gives access to internal bin-lattice used to speed up collision checks/AI
        void addObject(Object object, Vector2f loc, float objWidth, float objHeight);
        void removeObject(Object object, Vector2f loc, float objWidth, float objHeight);
        Iterator<Object> getCheckIterator(Vector2f loc, float checkWidth, float checkHeight);
    Added to CombatEngineAPI:
        CollisionGridAPI getAllObjectGrid();
        CollisionGridAPI getShipGrid();
        CollisionGridAPI getMissileGrid();
        CollisionGridAPI getAsteroidGrid();
    Added to SettingsAPI:
        String readTextFileFromCommon(String filename)
        void writeTextFileToCommon(String filename, String data)
        Load/save text data from the <installdir>/saves/common/ folder
            Limited to 1MB per file, 50MB total files per session
    Hull mods tagged with "no_drop_salvage" will not drop from campaign salvage operations
        Different from "no_drop", which will only make them not drop from defeated ships in combat
    Added alternate system for listening to campaign events, see: ListenerManagerAPI
        Allows registering to listen for only one type of event
        Not everything converted to use it, but will only use this system going forward
    Added event-listening interfaces:
        ShowLootListener
        SurveyPlanetListener
        EconomyTickListener
        DiscoverEntityListener
    Added IntelManagerAPI to manage player-visible pieces of information
        See: Global.getSector().getIntelManager()
        Replaces EventManager etc
        CommMessageAPI, SectorAPI.reportEventStage, etc deprecated/removed
        Game no longer loads/uses reports.csv
        Missions are re-implemented as "IntelInfoPlugin" rather than a events
        A few events that were essentially scripts (such as OfficerManagerEvent) remain for legacy reasons
        MissionBoard and related APIs removed
        All of these are now handled through IntelManager
        Removed concept of "comm channels"; channels.json no longer loaded
    Added CombatEntityAPI.getAI() method to get at proximity fuse AI from projectiles
    Added ProximityFuseAIAPI, with an updateDamage() method, so changing damage via script can work on flak and similar
    Added SettingsAPI.getMergedJSONForMod(String path, String masterMod)

Bugfixing:

Fixed issue with market/planet name mismatch for some procgen planets
    Fixed issues w/ small dormant remnant fleets not engaging and sometimes dropping loot if harassed
    Ship AI: fixed issue where 4+ carriers could get stuck in an escorting-each-other loop
    Fixed bug that caused Fleet Logistics 1 to make destroyed ships only have a 50% chance of recovery rather than 100% as intended. Disabled ships still got the 100% chance.
    Fixed issue with Plasma Cannon not being properly affected by Safety Overrides
    Save bar no longer get stuck if saving the game throws an error for any reason
    Fixed issue with scavenger fleets stuck in "returning to <market>" state
    Fixed issue that was sometimes preventing carriers from properly obeying "Full Retreat" order
    Fixed rendering issue with black holes on radar
    Fixed issue with Strike Commander causing projectile weapons from fighters to hit multiple times
    Fixed crash when a mission variant had a fighter wing from a mod installed and the mod was then disabled
    Fixed visual issue with jump-point in Westernesse star system
    Fixed issue with debris fields not despawning properly and causing savegame bloat (thanks, Tartiflette!)
    Fixed issue where could select civilian/unarmed ships for pursuit autoresolve
    Fixed issue where fighter chips would disappear from inventory when opening refit screen for a ship with that fighter built in
    Fixed issue with fighters returning to a retreated carrier getting stuck off-map without retreating
    Fixed station rendering issue in campaign where module placement wasn't quite right
    Fixed bug that caused phasing mid-burst to improperly shorten some weapon cooldowns
    The resolutionOverride config file setting now works with fullscreen mode
    Fixed issue that cause a black hole to appear in the middle of the sector map in some games
    Fixed bug that caused the player to have to wait for their allies to finish the battle after full-retreating from it
    Fixed issue that caused REDACTED fleets to respawn extremely quickly in some situations