The Siege of Jadotville

Started by BanzaiCat, October 11, 2016, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

A nice little historical film on Netflix right now (I think it was very recently added). Just finished watching it tonight...easily 4 out of 5 stars, but it feels as if it could have easily been five out of five, though it was missing something IMO. Still, worth a view. I didn't know anything about the battle and hadn't heard of it until I saw this pop up.

Sir Slash

Hot Damn! That looks good BC. Thanks for the heads-up.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Added this to my queue last week...never heard of the movie or the battle before.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on October 11, 2016, 09:02:06 PM
Added this to my queue last week...never heard of the movie or the battle before.

+1 Glad this got made.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Atilla60

Quote from: mirth on October 11, 2016, 09:05:42 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 11, 2016, 09:02:06 PM

+1 Glad this got made.

+2
Thanks for the heads up  O0
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

JudgeDredd

Watched it tonight. Very good film. I agree with BC it could've been a 5. I think the story was a tad disjointed or at least not "connecting" properly between the tactical, strategic and political aspects.

But very good indeed.

Seems the Irish unit was completely dumped on - by the UN, the international community and, probably worst of all, their own political establishment - all in the name of "face in the world". But then, why on earth would I be surprised that a bunch of soldiers who did over and above what they had to would be let down by their politicians and the people tasked with looking after them.  :knuppel2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jadotville
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Thanks, added to my watch list.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Watched last night....good movie.  Actually signed up for Netflix just to watch it.  Like seeing things that have not been over done, never heard of this prior.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 16, 2016, 08:03:13 AM
Watched last night....good movie.  Actually signed up for Netflix just to watch it.  Like seeing things that have not been over done, never heard of this prior.

I've read somewhere, GR, that Netflix is aiming to eventually have 50% of their content entirely self-produced. To date, everything they've produced, I think, is at least good, if not excellent. Netflix is getting a lot better about putting things up I've never heard of that look fascinating - now, my Watch List has 200+ items on it and I only have rare moments to catch parts of it, unfortunately. Still, I like the surprises that come up in their 'Recently Added' category.

Dammit Carl!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watched it and agree.  It was good but it was lacking a certain something.  The French merc's tactics were so bad, even I might be able to beat him at a wargame!

Gusington

Just watched it. I didn't know Dag Hammerskold was shot down over Congo! And that O'Brien character was quite the...character.

As if we didn't have a true loss of faith in the world's governments and institutions already, this movie won't help.

Fuckers.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Agreed. Damned politicians. Dongle them all!  L:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

ghostryder

This was a pretty good movie overall. Agree on the political stuff too.