Books to catch up on UAP program history and Grusch testimony implications

Started by JasonPratt, January 13, 2024, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Could have been a new post/thread in the Books section, but due to the associated topic(s) I decided to go here instead. Not much wryly amusing about these topics, alas...

So, roughly five months ago the Congress here in America brought David Grusch in to testify about the money being spent in past years on UAP (unidentified aerial phenomena) programs; and among other things he said was that defense department researchers had recovered at least 5 craft with exotic properties and "non-human" biologics.

A lot of people pinged on that to mean "alien", although strictly speaking he could have meant that they found bacteria or even plants -- which in forensic science might help detect where the UAPs had been assembled or sourced, etc.

In any case, despite his somewhat vague language (here and in other regards), the implications for what he was saying could have been fairly mundane. To protect national security, he wouldn't testify to some details in open session, requesting properly certified congress members be drafted to meet with him at a SCIFF later: a specially secured facility room where he could talk more openly.

Well, that happened last week, and naturally reporters were around to interview some of the members after they left his followup briefing. Also naturally the clips tended to emphasize the more colorful aspects of what little some members were willing to report (since after all they did have security classifications to keep up, too.)

One of those more colorful aspects was that Grusch used the term "interdimensional" to describe something involving those non-human biologicals.

This didn't especially surprise me, because last year I made a point to look into the history of the UAP programs since the late 90s, and there turned out to be a LOT of weird connections in studying these things -- as well as a lot of technical nuts and bolts.

Anyway, around the time Grusch was doing his first open hearings at Congress, two of the key players in the research programs up to that time, James Lacatski and Colm Kelleher, released a book updating their prior histories of being involved in the programs to the current time. It has the somewhat suggestive name of Inside the US Government Covert UFO Program: Initial Revelations, and can be found (only) in a Kindle edition at various shops including Amazon, linked here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKLZ2NLR

The title is a little misleading because there's no new information yet released in that book about what the programs had been studying through 2021; but it was written to provide more of the tech details about the capabilities of platforms recording information about UAPs, among many other topics and examples. Perhaps not surprisingly, a small cottage industry bloomed up writing short books summarizing this initial report! There have been no followups yet that I know of, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next volume was released soon now that Grusch has had his SCIFF meeting at Congress.

Lacatski is a Defense Intelligence Agency astrophysics analyst -- basically he studied and reported on missile and other aerial platform capabilities, being the team leader for writing the annual Missile Defense Threat Environment series entries for the Missile Defense Agency. Prior to that he worked for the MDA as a contractor specializing in adversary electronic warfare and directed energy weapon capabilities. He's taking the lead in this book, being very much involved in the modern US government UAP programs since their inception in the early 2000s.

Kelleher is a biologist and disease doctor heavily connected with Department of Defense work on studying and defending against biological warfare.

Their prior publication collaboration, on which Kelleher took the lead (although Lacatski was given top billing as co-author), was Skinwalkers at the Pentagon, the Kindle edition for which can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/Skinwalkers-Pentagon-Insiders-Account-Government-ebook/dp/B09J484KYD

As you might guess from the even-more-colorful title, this book has a strong relation to studies conducted (including by government programs) at the infamous area nicknamed "Skinwalker Ranch". (It also has some relation, mainly in passing, to the "Skinwalker" TV series that has run for a few seasons now, following up on official government and civilian research at the site.) Las Vegas investigative reporter George Knapp also helped co-author the book.

Kelleher got into this... let's say "exotic" topic back in the mid-90s when he was hired by Robert Bigelow and Bigelow Aerospace to be the lead researcher on a scholarly think-tank team studying weird stories and effects at the ranch area, after which he co-authored the most famous book in this sequence, the initial (and very colorfully titled) Hunt for the Skinwalker, which can be found in Kindle edition here: https://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Skinwalker-Science-Confronts-Unexplained-ebook/dp/B000FCKKXU . This was also co-authored by Knapp.

While I don't necessarily endorse everything reported, inferred, or speculated in the first two books (I haven't read the third yet; only found out this week that it existed) -- and it must be acknowledged that the first book is written in a mostly-popular fashion, with the second book introducing more technical details but still keeping much of the popular flavor on occasion -- I do recommend them for anyone, especially Grogs, wanting to study the background programs for current UAP studies being reported in the media in recent years up until now.

That's because ALL those programs, and there have been several including the one(s) reported by the now-famous 2017 New York Times article revealing the programs studying Navy pilot encounters with UAPs (and various evidence provided thereby, some of which information Book 2 corrects), goes back directly to the civilian scientific program set up by Bigelow in the mid-90s; which within the space of a couple of years quickly became a favorite book in American security and intelligence sectors; which led to direct Congressional funding and the support of the late Senator Harry Reid (who as one of his last actions before passing away in 2021 wrote the foreword commissioning book 2) among bi-partisan support of some very big names in Congress.

The press, understandably, usually only reports on the relatively mundane factors of the studies, which does include relatively mundane drone operation studies, as well as "alien" flavor. But the topical net was cast VERY MUCH wider than that -- yes, even wider than "alien" -- from very early on, predating government involvement but still included once the government got involved.

How much of which parts of those studies involve psy-ops and mis/dis-information, including by the authors of those studies, down to today, who knows? It must be said that even in their books, the authors acknowledge they're changing some names and attachments of military operators who are still in service (especially spec-ops) or who just don't want to be personally involved or connected with further studies. Not least because, apparently, the studies have a highly disturbing habit of following people home and messing with them!  :shocked:  :HideEyes: That includes people like Bigelow himself, who has talked about such things in some recent interviews as one main reason he eventually noped out of further personal support of the programs. Also the study results just couldn't be put to profitable use. So far as he says. Of course.  :rolleyes:

Anyway. Some highly technical and groggy military stuff (in some cases, especially in the most recent book) which connects with Enigmas of the Mystical topics. I'd never gotten around to making any posts about this in prior threads, so I figured I better before I got distracted doing other things again!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I've been told that eating plenty of meat and sugar after expelling that much material is important for loading up again.

JasonPratt

As a followup, I started the book tonight; and while a chunk of its introductory material helps catch up the plot (so to speak) since 2021, most of the book is an extended appendix providing technical details for the research carried out by the special Bigelow Aerospace team, contracted to work for the DIA's AAWSAP program, over twenty-four months (with a three month non-paid extension) before the AAWSAP was shut down by a defense oversight committee, and rebranded a few times with not much going on until last year's acceleration kicked in again.

Specifically, it's a book-length report on the "Physics" program of the AAWSAP contract (there were several "Programs" in the contract, fulfilled by Bigelow Aerospace).

The chapters (once the book gets going to the actual report) give overviews about "Lift", "Propulsion", "Translation" (between mediums like air/water), and "Power Generation" of the researched UAPs (Unidentified Aerial Phenomena, which is a somewhat more neutral abbreviation than UFO which despite meaning much the same neutral thing the authors connect with its popular meaning of piloted exotic aircraft). There are also Defense Intelligence Reference Documents provided in appendices on those four topics.

The book also goes into more technical details (within the "Physics" topic) about the group's research on a UAP encounter with F-15Cs near RAF Lakenheath; the original Navy "Tic Tact" investigation; collaboration with the civilian MUFON group (mutual UFO network); UAP incursions into the "Northern Tier" Air Force  nuclear missile bases; the UFO assault on Brazil; and the 'physics' aspects of other related topics like events at the so-called 'Skinwalker Ranch'.

For grogs used to nomenclature, it's a pretty fast read so far, though I've just reached the chapter that starts the main thrust of the book. Admittedly it helps that I read the preceding book not long ago, so I can recognize topics from that book and skim along over them as they come up.

JasonPratt

Note: the authors have also made available access to 38 more DIRDs (Defense Intelligence Reference Documents) at the DIA, as a link in the book. I'm not sure if the reader needs a registration with the DIA or security clearances to access them -- I haven't tried yet.

Fellow grogs wishing to make the attempt (or already registered with the Defense Intelligence Agency) can go to dia.mil, and then follow the FOIA tab (Freedom of Information Act, presumably, which sounds to me like public access) to the FOIA Electronic Reading Room.

The authors caution that these are technical reports meant for people with advanced physics or engineering degrees.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 19, 2024, 09:58:19 AMNote: the authors have also made available access to 38 more DIRDs (Defense Intelligence Reference Documents) at the DIA, as a link in the book. I'm not sure if the reader needs a registration with the DIA or security clearances to access them -- I haven't tried yet.

Fellow grogs wishing to make the attempt (or already registered with the Defense Intelligence Agency) can go to dia.mil, and then follow the FOIA tab (Freedom of Information Act, presumably, which sounds to me like public access) to the FOIA Electronic Reading Room.

The authors caution that these are technical reports meant for people with advanced physics or engineering degrees.

That link won't work. I think it is a problem with the url, not security. No registration is necessary. Here is a better one:

https://www.dia.mil/FOIA/FOIA-Electronic-Reading-Room/

These documents are cleared for public release (thus based on approved FOIA requests). Many of them probably have redacted sections when public release of the redacted info is not appropriate.

BTW, you won't ever find classified documents on any internet website (unless they were stolen and released by unauthorized 3rd parties.)

As a side-note, some very interesting intel reports from the Vietnam War are also available on the page.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

I wouldn't think they'd let secure docs out to the public (aside from redactions of course); but not having looked into it personally yet I wasn't sure if someone would have to register with a security clearance to look into those (even though they were in the FOIA section). The 3rd book, although released to the public (obviously), is really intended to get policy wonks and intel types up to speed, some of whom would be expected to have their own clearances to check on stuff if pointed in the right direction.

Also, I was writing that post during break at work, so I just typed the access as the chapter described it (with a few guesses as to what they meant for navigating) instead of working out the link code. Thanks!  :notworthy: