Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

oh hang on its airboy that dropped out isnt it - so were back to 10, not 11 - he needs taking off the front page

gameleaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 10, 2013, 09:55:26 AM
Under'geek,

the two maps I mentioned are hosted by Llamaserver, fortunately. I'm sure there are other Dom3 map repositories on the net, but I haven't looked up any yet.

I can't link directly to the maps, only to the server maplist. (Any map we choose or generate will have to be uploaded to the maplist anyway.)  I'll post up pngs of fantasy and realworld map options already available as I go down the list.

Note that once we decide how large a map we want, I can go back and create another list of server maps in that size range within say 10% variance. There are many more than these; these just look like they ought to be familiar somehow. I'm posting them in downlist order, but starting from bottom up will find the latest editions of the same maps.

That's "Alexander", based on the area of his empire (with some extra bits of fantasy fluff). It's a wraparound map of 246 lands, definitely too big for us (unless we pick up more people.

"Asia Twist", 267 wraparound + a lot of water, also too large. (Parts of Scandinavia were added.)

"Bering", the Bering Strait between Alaska and Russia, plus some fill. 93 land, but a large amount of water. (However, it's probably a wraparound, so technically all land areas are contiguous except for the Aleutians maybe and a couple of small islands. Even if it isn't, Ysk can probably tweak it so it is.)

Here's Cradle of Dominion for comparison; 199 lands.

A very nice non-specific fantasy map called "Dawn of Dominions". Only 132 lands, but may be locked for Early Age and specific factions.

That's Conan's Hyboria, only 90 lands!

"Northwest Middle Earth" (i.e. literally all of Tolkien's maps put together), 113 lands.

"Oeridia" the World of Greyhawk. If you have to ask how many lands, you can't afford it.  ;D

"A Pangaean Earth", only 108 lands.

"World of Warhammer", 178 lands. Several versions of this map on the server.

"Yggdrasil"; appears to be locked in Early Age with specific factions. 98 lands.

Unsure if "Tyrande" is based on any fantasy property, but it sure looks nice. Several options on the server. Only 82 lands!

"Faerun" (i.e. the Forgotten Realms), several tweaks of this map available, 397 lands.

"Greece Stain", several server variants, 181 lands.

Westeros, several server variations, 209 lands.

Those are all the historical/fantasy maps I could find, including a couple that looked like they might be based on fantasy series art (but I wasn't sure).

As noted above, once we decide on a mapsize I'll go back and report all the current Llamaserver maps of about the same size (10% variance either way).

I realy want 'Oeridia' & 'Westeros' Maps but I cant get a good link, can someone help ?

Yskonyn

Short update while on the run:

Gameleapers pretender has been deleted.
First post in this thread updated with latest info.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Cool, thanks for sorting that out Yskonyn.

Gameleaper, would you care to call a nation?

JasonPratt

The map we're currently playing is "Thedas", so make sure you download that anyway.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showpost.php?p=795451

The maps you're looking for can be found on the Llamaserver map archive (with a bunch of other maps), which is here: http://www.llamaserver.net/mapModBrowser.cgi

Some of those entries have download links, others don't, because the archive is meant to hold maps for games to run on the Llamaserver (so sometimes players don't need to download the maps, they have them already).

For ease of access, here is the link to the Oreida (Greyhawk) map: http://dom3maps.wikidot.com/system:oeridia

There are two or three versions of the Westeros map, but at the moment I can't find one that has a download link. You can try advanced Google search for "Westeros" "map" and "Dominions".

When you set up your new pretender, gameleaper, be sure that the balance mod is not only installed but enabled -- I thought mine was enabled in a parallel game we're running here, but it wasn't and my first pretender was auto-rebalanced by the game system! We had to restart the game from scratch.

I'm unsure if mods automatically enable or not -- even now it seems like the balance mod auto-enabled eventually for me! I think that happened when I tried to run my first turn and the game detected the mod was installed, so turned the mod on at that point to match the host game, but I had created my pretender with it off. (My theory is strengthened by a fact I've seen explicitly demonstrated, namely that the host game automatically turns OFF a graphics mod I thought was going to be included in the game but which eventually wasn't.)

Anyway, if you haven't done so yet, boot the game, go to the "preferences", then "mod preferences", and then click on the balance mod so that it definitely says "enabled".

As a quick reference to the first page:

In alphabetical order thus far:

Byrdman57: goes with Midgard, the LA version of Vanheim, somewhat balancing against Corwin's Utgard.

Corwin123: wells up in tears of joy with Utgard!

Huw the Poo: wins with Ermor's Ashen Empire (unless maybe Bogarus can stop him).  ;D

JasonPratt: I've decided to go with the eastern human Jomon Daimyos, the samurai faction.

Parone: goes with C'tis, the mummy lizards of the Desert Tombs!  8)

Phobos: Bogarus (a nation added in the 3.14 patch, so not mentioned in the printed instructions, probably). Basically Dom3's version of medieval Russian Orthodox, mixed with some pagan Russian mythology.

Undercovergeek: picks Pythium, i.e. First Age Ermor but in late age and with some snakes.

Vlam: Gath, the last of the Semitic Giants.

Yskonyn (the game host): Return(s) with "of the Raptors of Caelum".
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Vlam,

Ysk could delete your pretender and you could go with Ulm instead, if you wanted, since U'geek picked Pythium.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

gameleaper

gameleaper chooses 'Arcoscephale' and I have sent in to the server

gameleaper

gameleaper chooses 'Arcoscephale' and I have sent in to the server

sorry keep getting lag, so sometimes it double posts, or not atall

gameleaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 16, 2013, 09:25:50 AM
The map we're currently playing is "Thedas", so make sure you download that anyway.

The maps you're looking for can be found on the Llamaserver map archive (with a bunch of other maps), which is here: http://www.llamaserver.net/mapModBrowser.cgi

Some of those entries have download links, others don't, because the archive is meant to hold maps for games to run on the Llamaserver (so sometimes players don't need to download the maps, they have them already).

For ease of access, here is the link to the Oreida (Greyhawk) map: http://dom3maps.wikidot.com/system:oeridia

There are two or three versions of the Westeros map, but at the moment I can't find one that has a download link. You can try advanced Google search for "Westeros" "map" and "Dominions".

When you set up your new pretender, gameleaper, be sure that the balance mod is not only installed but enabled -- I thought mine was enabled in a parallel game we're running here, but it wasn't and my first pretender was auto-rebalanced by the game system! We had to restart the game from scratch.

I'm unsure if mods automatically enable or not -- even now it seems like the balance mod auto-enabled eventually for me! I think that happened when I tried to run my first turn and the game detected the mod was installed, so turned the mod on at that point to match the host game, but I had created my pretender with it off. (My theory is strengthened by a fact I've seen explicitly demonstrated, namely that the host game automatically turns OFF a graphics mod I thought was going to be included in the game but which eventually wasn't.)

Anyway, if you haven't done so yet, boot the game, go to the "preferences", then "mod preferences", and then click on the balance mod so that it definitely says "enabled".

Byrdman57: goes with Midgard, the LA version of Vanheim, somewhat balancing against Corwin's Utgard.

Huw the Poo: wins with Ermor's Ashen Empire (unless maybe Bogarus can stop him).  ;D

JasonPratt: I've decided to go with the eastern human Jomon Daimyos, the samurai faction.

Phobos: Bogarus (a nation added in the 3.14 patch, so not mentioned in the printed instructions, probably). Basically Dom3's version of medieval Russian Orthodox, mixed with some pagan Russian mythology.

Undercovergeek: picks Pythium, i.e. First Age Ermor but in late age and with some snakes.

thanks Jason.

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 16, 2013, 09:25:50 AM

gameleper - read, and read again - much valuable advice in here - especially the mod thing been switched on when sending the pretender

gameleaper

dont worry I downloaded Yskonyn's Mods folder and enabled them before I created my pretender god. So If it dosnt work I blame Yskonyn:)

undercovergeek

lol - glad youre in, welcome

and remember, kill Huw first

kill

huw

first!

Huw the Poo

Geek, you are a deeply unpleasant individual!  I was going to share my blood slaves with you, but you can shove it up your arse now! :P

gameleaper

Huw a goner asap, but I have to hope Ill survive the indys first  :)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 16, 2013, 10:26:40 AM
Geek, you are a deeply unpleasant individual!  I was going to share my blood slaves with you, but you can shove it up your arse now! :P

looking at my pretender and his tendencies - i think that's where they're supposed to go Huw!