Polaris Sector - another new space 4x

Started by RedArgo, November 02, 2015, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tactical Wargamer

Quote from: Anguille on November 03, 2015, 07:22:40 AM
Looking nice but again starlanes.... :-\

Ya hate just having star lanes......Sticking with Stellaris  ;)
@TacticWargamer

Martok

Anyone had a chance to try out the Lumens DLC yet?  I don't really care about the new race, but I am interested in the gameplay improvements/additions (race-specific techs, improved fleet management/options, etc.). 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Labbug

I have not gotten too far into the new DCL, but that is because I usually get overwhelmed by the other races after a while.  What I have noticed is the applied sciences to be researched to unlock tech are still the same.  All the old tech is still there plus additional improvements on some of the old tech and some new tech as well.  It also looks to take longer to research tech and there seems to be a time penalty to change researching a tech in one research tree to another tech in a different research tree.  In other words moving from one applied science tree to another applied science tree adds some additional time.

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Ian C

Quote from: Tactical Wargamer on November 19, 2017, 06:53:11 PM
Quote from: Anguille on November 03, 2015, 07:22:40 AM
Looking nice but again starlanes.... :-\

Ya hate just having star lanes......Sticking with Stellaris  ;)

Oh the irony.

solops

Quote from: Labbug on November 20, 2017, 12:12:31 PM
I have not gotten too far into the new DCL, but that is because I usually get overwhelmed by the other races after a while.  What I have noticed is the applied sciences to be researched to unlock tech are still the same.  All the old tech is still there plus additional improvements on some of the old tech and some new tech as well.  It also looks to take longer to research tech and there seems to be a time penalty to change researching a tech in one research tree to another tech in a different research tree.  In other words moving from one applied science tree to another applied science tree adds some additional time.
The amount of lag suffered from switching research fields is a racial trait. It can be changed in racial design.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

The new patch is out. It is small, but fixes a couple of critical issues. A larger patch with ui improvements and more bug fixes is in the works, per the dev on the Slitherine forums.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

Yay! My favorite space 4x just got another update! And right in the middle of a campaign I have already put 42 hours into!

Polaris Sector - v1.06g Update!

October 17 - Alberto   

There is a new update for Polaris Sector!

It contains a number of bugfixes. Please let us know should you encounter any problem.

Change History (1.06g – October 12th, 2018)

- fixed the problem with Lumen not being able to produce anything during the first month after the
game started
- fixed the "Energy race" racial trait
- now it gives the correct homeworld composition for every race
- fixed the scrolling of the fleet compositions
- search function now also works for Rally Points
- terraforming support is added to the ModKit (planet upgrade/degrade functions)
- the construction points are not wasted anymore if there is a building blocking the construction
queue by waiting for the enough population to start functioning
- the population control does not kick on if there is a building in construction that requires this
population

Anguille

Excellent news...after my big disappointement with Stellaris, i think i'll play Polaris Sector instead

Anguille

I am playing my first real game of Polaris Sector but think that i have been too ambitious. I selected the biggest map with all the Alien Races...it's huge! The Tools to manage the empire are ok but not the best in the genre.

So my question is: what kind of settings do you guys play or recommend?

solops

I play at Challenge level, 40% to 25% tech slowdown, max starlanes and then customise my race for food, sometimes tech. I play on med to large maps. Generally, after playing a large map I go back to something smaller. I keep finding and then forgetting about empire management tools because I micromanage each planet's setup and then never look at it again. I leave the minerals and other things alone, although I often play without the external threat, having already done it a few times. I do not play with depletable minerals.

Huw the Poo

This just appeared on my radar.  Rather than reading through 13 pages, it would be nice if anyone could summarise Polaris Sector for me.  Just briefly, what's good about it?  What does it do uniquely, if anything?  Any other thoughts you'd like to add.  Thanks!

If I can't be persuaded to get this, I think I'll get GalCiv 3.

Anguille

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 21, 2018, 12:40:01 PM
This just appeared on my radar.  Rather than reading through 13 pages, it would be nice if anyone could summarise Polaris Sector for me.  Just briefly, what's good about it?  What does it do uniquely, if anything?  Any other thoughts you'd like to add.  Thanks!

If I can't be persuaded to get this, I think I'll get GalCiv 3.

You're really looking at two very different games. The best thing about Polaris Sector are the tactical battles and the shipdesign that comes with it. The maps are big and you don't get to see fighters and bombers before they are in range. The tech tree is also interesting with fundemantal and applied science. Diplomacy is well done as well.

goldsboro

Quote from: Anguille on October 21, 2018, 11:31:43 AM
I am playing my first real game of Polaris Sector but think that i have been too ambitious. I selected the biggest map with all the Alien Races...it's huge! The Tools to manage the empire are ok but not the best in the genre.

So my question is: what kind of settings do you guys play or recommend?

The Biggest map is really too big. I'd recommend playing on the default map, Sharatar race with default settings. Turn the pirates off if you play on Challenge or Hard difficulty. These are the settings the game is meant to be played and this is the setting most tested by the authors.

If you do not know the game well enough, then choose Normal + pirates, but be ready to abandon the game to restart on Challenge and no pirates after 30 hours in game :)