Pop Quiz: Allied combat operations on Japanese Home Islands

Started by Staggerwing, August 09, 2014, 09:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

For fun so no google!

What was the only ground combat mission conducted on Japanese Home Island soil during WW2 by an allied military unit?

What branch of what military was responsible? What was the type of unit involved?

Some of you will surely know the story.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

I'm guessing we're not counting Okinawa as one of the Home Islands then?  (As otherwise, that would be too obvious.) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Quote from: Martok on August 09, 2014, 11:47:43 AM
I'm guessing we're not counting Okinawa as one of the Home Islands then?  (As otherwise, that would be too obvious.)

That is correct. Okinawa, while part of the Japanese Archipelago, is not considered one of the four traditional Japanese Home Islands. They are Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku, and Kyushu.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Jack Nastyface

And you're not counting the Soviet attack on the Kuril's either?  Hmm...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Martok

That was actually the first thing I thought of as well, but (like Okinawa) I presumed the Kurils weren't considered part of the Home Islands. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Operation Olympic!   ;D

Oh wait, that's the answer to another question.  Hmmm...you got me here Stagger.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Staggerwing

OK, let's start with the first clue: It was a unit which was part of the US Navy. Not the Marines.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Boggit

Not squid loaded with explosives surely? I heard about some wacky ideas used by both the US on Japan, and Jaan on CONUS. That wasn't one of them? :o
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

No, no killer squid. I mean that the personnel were sailors. Of a particular kind of vessel. This vessel would later be the only one of its type known to have 'sunk' a moving locomotive.

Boggit

Got it! Maybe...? A submarine that surfaced near the shore and shot at a train with its deck gun! Close?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Very, very close but remember, it was the only known land combat operation on Japanese Home island soil so sitting off shore taking pot-shots just won't do. Gotta get enemy dirt in the cuffs of your trousers.

Here's the story:

The Sub that sank a Train

steve58

Great story!  I'm going to have to read up on Cmdr Fluckey and the USS Barb.  Thanks Staggerwing!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)