One of 9-11's Most Impressive Moments

Started by bayonetbrant, September 11, 2016, 06:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

0930 - every dot is a plane in the air....  roughly 10,000

1030 - every dot is a plane in the air....  roughly 150

They over 9800 planes on the ground in 60 minutes.  :o
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Rekim

Definitely, the most unusual day of our lifetimes...thus far.

Something that blew my mind in the early part of that day; I arrived at work 08:55 EDT to find two people waiting at the door to the R&D lab where my office was. They wanted in so that they could put on the news. Point being; less that 10 minutes after the disaster started to unfold, people who were hundreds or thousands of kilometers away from NYC were already tuning in. It still boggles my mind that information could spread so quickly.

Staggerwing

Very impressive indeed.

And it would behoove NATO-bashing Donald Trump to remember (if he even knows) that the only time in history NATO's Article 5 mutual defense clause (an attack on one is an attack on all) was invoked was in response to 9-11 when NATO member countries sent air assets to monitor US airspace.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Say what you want about George W. Bush but I felt bad for him, looking at that picture of him in the school room.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

The pictures of people falling from the towers makes me ill.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

The shots of the tower coming down at 9:59am is insane...never saw those shots before. Different than watching it live from 1/2 mile away.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I've never seen that picture from Shanksville PA either.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Now I kind of wish I hadn't looked at these. 15 years later and I still cry. Many of the major moments in my life I can link to 9/11, though, including my wedding and then my kids, driving an ambulance and then joining the NY Guard. It's a part of me for better or worse.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

This is a transcript of the Today Show on the morning of 9/11 as the second plane hit the World Trade Center.  For years, I could've sworn I heard Katie say "Looks like they've got some air traffic control problems."  Turns out I wasn't completely wrong.

Just so you know, the transcript mis-identifies Elliott Walker as "Ms Walker".
KATIE COURIC, co-host:

Obviously, horrified commuters were--were absolutely devastated when they heard this explosion. We talked with somebody a moment ago about that, Jennifer Oberstein, and also another eyewitness, Elliott Walker, who is actually a producer here on the TODAY show.

Elliott, can you hear me?

Ms. ELLIOTT WALKER: Yes. Hi, Katie.

COURIC: Hi, Elliott. Tell me where you are and what you saw.

Ms. WALKER: Well, I live in this area. I returned to my apartment. But I was walking down the sidewalk delivering my young daughter to school. And we heard a very loud sound, the kind of sound you hear when a plane is, you know, going fast past you 'Nnnnnn,' followed by an enormous crash and an immediate explosion. I don't think we could feel shock waves, but we--we sort of felt like we did. And we were in a position where we could see the Trade Center almost immediately between the other buildings, and an enormous fireball that must have been 300 feet across was visible immediately, a secondary explosion, I think, and then plumes of smoke. I must be--there must have been a three-block cloud of--of white smoke. Now, from where I was on the street a moment ago, you can, in fact, see smoke leaving the building on three sides. It seems to be coming out on at least four or five floors. The area is filled with hundreds of dozens of pieces of paper that are just sort of floating like confetti. The area is swarmed with emergency vehicles and sirens. Obviously...

COURIC: Have you seen...

Ms. WALKER: ...we're very sensitive to this kind of thing in this neighborhood.

COURIC: Elliott, have you--of course, because of the incident that occurred in the early 1990s. Have you seen any--any evidence, Elliott, of--of people being taken out of the building? You say that emergency vehicles are there. Understandably so. But, of course, the major concern is human loss.

Ms. WALKER: Oh, my goodness.

COURIC: I mean, do you know if there were many people in the building?

Ms. WALKER: Oh, another one just hit. Something else just hit, a very large plane just flew directly over my building...

ROKER: Oh, my...

Ms. WALKER: ...and there's been another collision. Can you see it?

COURIC: Yes.

LAUER: Yes.

Ms. WALKER: I can see it on this shot.

COURIC: Oh, my...

Ms. WALKER: Something else has just...

LAUER: You know what...

Ms. WALKER: ...and that looked more like a 747.

LAUER: ...we just saw a plane circling the building. We just saw a plane circling the building, a second ago on the shot right before that.

Ms. WALKER: I think there may have been another impact. Can you tell? I just heard another very loud bang and a very large plane that might have been a DC-9 or a 747 just flew past my window, and I think it may have hit the Trade Center again.

LAUER: To be--to be honest, Elliott, I didn't--I didn't get the impression it was that big a plane. I...

Ms. WALKER: It looked big from here.

LAUER: I did see a plane go by a second ago, though. And it--it--it has now impacted the building.

Ms. WALKER: Yes.

LAUER: I'm trying to see if it is the different tower. It is. It's the other tower.

Ms. WALKER: I think it may have been the other tower.

COURIC: It's the second...

Ms. WALKER: The first one was World Trade Center One, and it looks, from what I'm seeing on television, like it may have been the second building that was hit.

LAUER: We're going to see--this is a piece of tape and we may actually see another plane enter the picture here in a second.

Ms. WALKER: I wonder if there are air traffic control problems.

LAUER: Let's go back to Jennifer Oberstein, who was talking to us a second ago.

So someone does say something about air traffic control problems, but not in the sarcastic way I remember.  And it wasn't Katie, like I thought I remembered.

Atilla60

I could be wrong, but as I remember it the sarcastic remarks were made by Howard Stern or one of his guests.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Gusington

^I was listening to Stern that morning at work and although my memory is a bit hazy I think you may be right. Maybe it was Robin Quivers?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Atilla60 on September 11, 2016, 04:44:28 PM
I could be wrong, but as I remember it the sarcastic remarks were made by Howard Stern or one of his guests.

I don't listen to Stern.  I was watching the Today Show and what I thought I heard live was, fortunately, not what was actually said.  What was actually said is the official transcript above from Lexis Nexis.

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 11, 2016, 05:38:46 PM

I don't listen to Stern.  I was watching the Today Show and what I thought I heard live was, fortunately, not what was actually said.  What was actually said is the official transcript above from Lexis Nexis.

How much does it cost to subscribe to Lexis Nexis?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 11, 2016, 05:38:46 PM

Not sure that it was an appropriate comment either way though.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.