One of 9-11's Most Impressive Moments

Started by bayonetbrant, September 11, 2016, 06:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 11, 2016, 05:51:55 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 11, 2016, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: Atilla60 on September 11, 2016, 04:44:28 PM
I could be wrong, but as I remember it the sarcastic remarks were made by Howard Stern or one of his guests.

I don't listen to Stern.  I was watching the Today Show and what I thought I heard live was, fortunately, not what was actually said.  What was actually said is the official transcript above from Lexis Nexis.

How much does it cost to subscribe to Lexis Nexis?

no idea - I got access through school connections
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on September 11, 2016, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 11, 2016, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: Atilla60 on September 11, 2016, 04:44:28 PM
I could be wrong, but as I remember it the sarcastic remarks were made by Howard Stern or one of his guests.

I don't listen to Stern.  I was watching the Today Show and what I thought I heard live was, fortunately, not what was actually said.  What was actually said is the official transcript above from Lexis Nexis.

Not sure that it was an appropriate comment either way though.

Well, one way to read it was certainly with sarcasm.  The other way, which is how I see it now (looking back), it's a question from someone incapable of comprehending terrorism on that scale even as it was happening.  We all know better today, but at 915am on 9/11/01, many people didn't.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Maybe so.  Just seems like a weird thing to say.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

As BB says you have to take it in a pre-9/11 frame of mind. And until around 845am that day Stern and his crew was were thinking that the initial impact was an accident, like 99.9% of the rest of the world.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: OJsDad on September 11, 2016, 06:21:51 PM
Maybe so.  Just seems like a weird thing to say.

I know at the shop we didn't think it was ATC, but rather just a horrible mechanical malfunction. Until the second one hit. I can see how someone might think it was some kind of rogue ATC problem, after the second (or first) strike, if they aren't thinking clearly enough (thanks to the shock) to realize that pilots don't fly in a little windowless box guided only by ATC.

I almost said I'm willing to cut Stern and whoever else was with him some slack if they also said it, since his voice is such that everything he says naturally sounds like smarmy sarcasm even if he's sincere. But then I remembered he built his show on saying notorious and shocking things on air, so -- yeah, no, even if he was sincerely trying to process it, I don't think he gets a pass. He has a lifetime non-pass of anyone ever giving him slack for accidental faux pas again.  >:( :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bob48

Looking at those brought tears to my eyes again. How I honour the emergency services.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!