32 Years Ago Today

Started by bayonetbrant, January 28, 2018, 10:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

Where were you?

I was at a friend's apartment in Heidelberg, Germany, munching on Burger King with my dad and another friend, on our way to a Mötley Crüe concert that evening, when their son (my brother's former classmate) came into the living room and told us that the Space Shuttle Challenger just exploded on takeoff.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Sitting in a study hall when the word came. The teacher turned on a TV and we all sat there in stunned disbelief.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Driving home from a college class.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

I was wheeling a patient on a stretcher into a semi-private hospital room and the person in the other bed had the TV on the wall going with the breaking news report. That was the first I heard of it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Ancient Roman technology class in 3rd year University, when someone walks in and says "The shuttle blew up!" We didn't believe him until someone got a radio broadcast going.  :(

BanzaiCat

11th grade World History class. Can't remember the lecture, and we were not watching the launch, but I do remember one of the other teachers coming in to say there was an "explosion on the Space Shuttle" when it launched. Nobody seemed all that concerned since he didn't sound like it was anything terrible, but then in the next class someone had a TV in there and we saw it.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on January 28, 2018, 10:11:43 AM
Sitting in a study hall when the word came. The teacher turned on a TV and we all sat there in stunned disbelief.

Same.

Quote from: Barthheart on January 28, 2018, 11:05:27 AM
Ancient Roman technology class in 3rd year University, when someone walks in and says "The shuttle blew up!" We didn't believe him until someone got a radio broadcast going.  :(

Interesting: because some years later I learned that a contributing factor to the explosion was the width of a horse's butt thanks to ancient Roman technology! (I mean, inadvertently of course. A lot of good came out of it, too. The butt-width also contributed to the Nazis losing World War 2, for example.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

trailrunner

I don't remember where I was specifically on that day, but in January 1986 I was still in grad school.

besilarius

The long gone, Little Soldier Hobby Shop in Alexandria, Va.
What I recall most vividly, though, is Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show that night.
He asked if NASA really meant, "Need Another Seven Astronauts."
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: besilarius on January 28, 2018, 11:43:47 AM
What I recall most vividly, though, is Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show that night.
He asked if NASA really meant, "Need Another Seven Astronauts."

he seriously said that?

OJsDad

Don't remember which class I was in, but I was a junior in high school. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

besilarius

The Alzheimer's is creeping along, but have a very vivid memory of his saying that.
Believe he got a lot of heat next day over the comment.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.