Main Menu

empire of sin

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 30, 2020, 07:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: W8taminute on December 04, 2020, 08:46:40 AM
Quote from: gregb41352 on December 03, 2020, 06:43:54 PM
Just getting into it but so far I sorta like it. 

The strategic layer which I'm just getting the hang of is superior, I think, to Gangsters. 
As for the tactical combat, so far I'm wishing it were a bit MORE like Omerta.  Omerta
just seemed more "realistic" in the tactical fights.  EoS seems a bit cartoony in the
tactical fights.  But I kinda liked Omerta so there is that......

Hi.  Yes I think the strategic layer is superior to Gangsters in that it is a lot easier to see the overall big picture.  The strategy layer in this game is deep in ways Gangsters was not.  But I would say Empire of Sin is as satisfying to me as Gangsters was on the strategic layer.

As for combat I can't really comment on the comparison to Omerta as I have not played that game but so far I'm ok with how it is handled in Empire of Sin.  I was a bit scared that combat in EoS would be like XCOM in that the player would miss every shot they took even if the enemy was right next to them and your guy had a A+ rating for marksmanship.  Thankfully that is not the case here.

That's interesting that your seeing something different than me in the combat....I see people with shotguns and machine guns miss as well as take 2-3 shots to finish off the enemy in the next square, completely exposed.  But its good to hear the strategic layer seems like it might be good....I'll continue to put more time into it, but the combat does have me worried from my early impressions.

W8taminute

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 04, 2020, 09:08:11 AM

That's interesting that your seeing something different than me in the combat....I see people with shotguns and machine guns miss as well as take 2-3 shots to finish off the enemy in the next square, completely exposed.  But its good to hear the strategic layer seems like it might be good....I'll continue to put more time into it, but the combat does have me worried from my early impressions.

Yes I've seen that happen too in all of the battles I've fought so far.  I can live with that though because when I played XCOM the level of frustration was such that I rage quit and almost wanted to give up playing video games.  I don't feel that here in EoS during combat.  Yes one of my guys that has an MP 18 SMG fires burst after burst for three turns in a row before finally killing the target but the ai opponent fires an equal number of misses back at you. 

In this way I find it an easier pill to swallow than when the only one getting 100% one hit kills 100% of the time is the ai.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: W8taminute on December 04, 2020, 10:49:42 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 04, 2020, 09:08:11 AM

Yes I've seen that happen too in all of the battles I've fought so far.  I can live with that though because when I played XCOM the level of frustration was such that I rage quit and almost wanted to give up playing video games.  I don't feel that here in EoS during combat.  Yes one of my guys that has an MP 18 SMG fires burst after burst for three turns in a row before finally killing the target but the ai opponent fires an equal number of misses back at you. 

In this way I find it an easier pill to swallow than when the only one getting 100% one hit kills 100% of the time is the ai.

I guess for me I am the opposite because I can better understand in a future setting like XCOM where maybe Aliens and such are more powerful and could survive, but back in the gangster days seems harder to look past.  In one of my last combat rounds, I came up behind a group of enemy within one square and fired a shot.  I would think I would at least put that person out of commission (sneaking up from behind and getting first shot)...but nope.  He still lasts a couple of rounds and by the time I try to finish him off, the others dispense of me.

Maybe it will grow on me....certainly will give it a try

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 04, 2020, 10:57:20 AM

I guess for me I am the opposite because I can better understand in a future setting like XCOM where maybe Aliens and such are more powerful and could survive, but back in the gangster days seems harder to look past.  In one of my last combat rounds, I came up behind a group of enemy within one square and fired a shot.  I would think I would at least put that person out of commission (sneaking up from behind and getting first shot)...but nope.  He still lasts a couple of rounds and by the time I try to finish him off, the others dispense of me.

Maybe it will grow on me....certainly will give it a try

Weapons make a big difference. I picked up a very nice shotgun from one of the joints I raided. Then after completing one of the missions I was given a tommy gun....that made all the difference. I can often take enemies down in one round.

Also, my gangster is Donovan...he uses a sheleighleigh to great effect. If you haven't already, try Donovan and use his special ability. I added Rodriguez who comes with a German SMG and the two of them were able to take on a typical 1/5 building, or group of thugs without too much difficulty.

Combat is far from "realistic", but I still find it to be enjoyable.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

fran

Thanks, ArizonaTank,

My enthusiasm went from high, dipping to it can wait until it goes on sale with some DLC. And ironing out more of the bugs.

It would be good if getting wounded have more effect in combat....

Grim.Reaper:

I came up behind a group of enemy within one square and fired a shot.  I would think I would at least put that person out of commission (sneaking up from behind and getting first shot)...but nope.  He still lasts a couple of rounds and by the time I try to finish him off, the others dispense of me.

W8taminute

What difficulty are those of you who are having trouble in combat playing on?  I'm playing on normal difficulty and have yet to lose a team member due to death in combat.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk