Main Menu

empire of sin

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 30, 2020, 07:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

couldn't find the old thread....but this comes out tomorrow.

based on initial reviews, starting to think i shouldn't have pre ordered....here is one example and seems others are luke warm...

https://www.pcgamer.com/empire-of-sin-review/

demjansk1942

Darn, maybe it will be good.  I rarely buy I game these days right after release.  I have been burned a few times and now wait for sales or just don't bother.  Only 24 hours in a day including work, sleep and training.  Leaves me with a little time to learn new games.  I hope it's a good game

Gusington

^I was surprised at how little the PC Gamer reviewer enjoyed it. The RPS reviewer liked it a lot more. Sounds like after a few patches it will be much better.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

I have refunded it already !

There appears to be some design problems uncovered by several early reviewers. It seems that by early to mid game you can win very easily by ignoring all the management aspects and instead just going to the HQ of each of the other bosses in turn and killing them which grant's you all of their holdings....also the player bosses are very OP so clearing normal buildings with Capone for example seems to be a case of walking in...choosing overwatch and then seeing the thugs walk into volleys of sub machine gun fire for an instant death :(

Great shame as the presentation looks lovely.

I believe a game called 1920's Organised Crime or something similar is out on Steam soon.  That is less glitzy but hopefully is a better game.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

HoodedHorseJoe

If nobody objects, here's the review I did over at PCGamesN: https://www.pcgamesn.com/empire-of-sin/review

I think it's definitely better than the 49 Fraser gave it, but if I was feeling less charitable about its shortcomings I could have easily have given it a 6 vs. a 7. I genuinely enjoyed what I played, but it's a bit rough and ready - content doesn't scale well into the mid-late game and quite a few technical hiccups as well.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Gusington

Another example of why waiting and not buying on release day is almost always the way to go.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

yeah, this one concerned me a bit from the start but I still pre-ordered....certainly a lessons learned for some of these games.

Gusington

^Are you playing it, Grim?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on December 01, 2020, 11:12:53 AM
^Are you playing it, Grim?

Just got the key so haven't had a chance....will try and install tonight/tomorrow.  Not as motivated now after hearing these reviews:)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Lotti Fuehrscheim

I am not immediately attracted to the title, but I trust that imbalance issues will be corrected, more or less, over time. Paradox seldom abandons games, not since March of the Eagles; it wants to be known for good support, and an original Europa Universalis programmer, that older Scottisish guy, has been assigned to the project, I suspect to rescue the game play engine from an initial mess.

They bought the Romero company, I don't think they want that to be a dud.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on December 01, 2020, 02:25:54 PM
Yeah can't blame you.

The download is only like 4GB, that's another clue for me:)

devoncop

Lets put it this way. I am happy I refunded my prepurchase yesterday before even going through a download process.

Truly awful reviews out there and Steam comments not good now ...
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

steve58

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 01, 2020, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 01, 2020, 02:25:54 PM
Yeah can't blame you.

The download is only like 4GB, that's another clue for me:)

Only 4GB?  I remember (back when I was trudging over the mountains in the snow to school) when a 4GB download was considered HUGH!  >:D
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)