Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier wip

Started by JudgeDredd, August 30, 2015, 08:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Yes, that's the stuff. You can let a gob of it set up a bit before using it so it gets a little tacky, then apply it.

Practice on some scrap pieces first.  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 05, 2015, 09:48:41 AM
It seems to require something more substantial than modelling glue or superglue which are very runny.

Superglues come in different viscousities.

Also, you might try watering down your PVA to ~50/50 glue/water. It should dry clear(er).

Barring that you might try an epoxy. That stuff will pretty much hold anything.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

strip the wires out of their sheathing.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

if your going to get more involved in this project you might want to do yourself a favor and replace the exhausts with something much nicer.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234911188-harrier-resin-updates/

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

JudgeDredd

I am stripping the wire out the sheathing...but I'm using the wire. Maybe I should just use the sheath.

I think I have some araldite - that will certainly do. I'm not too fussed about the transparency of the glue - I'll be priming and painting anyway.

However - I've cut some plastic sections off a model car I was given (I don't make cars and the guy was going to chuck it - so he knew I would be using it to experiment) and this is the result thus far...but I'm running out of space to fit stuff "on"...it's getting tight in there and I have big thumbs

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 05, 2015, 10:29:12 AM
if your going to get more involved in this project you might want to do yourself a favor and replace the exhausts with something much nicer.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234911188-harrier-resin-updates/
Bugger. Too late for the intakes.
*edit* - those resin parts are for Airfix. My understanding of after market parts is you do need to buy the parts for the manufacturer you have (though some are cross manufacturer as they are reboxed)

Ah well...I wasn't really going to town on this one anyway. I always said I would be using these few models I'm doing currently to test things. So "enhancing" the engine is not going to end up like the one in the other thread - however, a few extra pieces might help the engine look busier. I'm not going for a replica Pegasus engine...just to make it look busier.

I also said in the past I wasn't really into after-market replacement parts. That will change in the future I'm sure. But for this, I only really wanted to do a bit of work on the rather pathetic looking engine.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Well...I'm going to call it a day on the engine. Like I said - it wasn't meant to look like a real engine - I just wanted to make it look a bit more detailed...and I'm happy I've done that. It will of course be primed, painted and weathered.

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

From this...

...to this...

That'll do  8)
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

DoctorQuest

Nice! That helps the look of the engine a lot.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Thanks. It still looks rather cavernous in there...but I "took the edge" off it I think  :)
Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Slow going. Too much rugby and gaming.

I tried again to stick some wire on the engine to make it busier, but even araldite wouldn't stick that damn stuff. So I've finished with the engine. It's all primed now and ready to go in the AC

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I started priming this weekend and had a nightmare with my Vallejo Primer. I've heard a few people say "it's fine" and alot more say it's a pita...my experience is of the latter. It massively clogged my airbrush. I had to strip it and it took 20 minutes to clean the damn thing properly.

I then decided to try and thin it (of the positives I've heard of this primer, only one or two have actually said they thinned it) but I thinned it too much. My fault...but there's no real way to know when tipping paint into an airbrush and I aired on the side of caution wanting to save myself 20 minutes cleaning the brush again. It came out a bit too runny.

So - I've decided to use Badger primer (great reviews all round from what I see) but I needed a bigger needle/nozzle. As it was going to be £35 for the new .4 needle/nozzle set, I've just decided to get a new airbrush

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HJ777W6

I like the idea of the trigger as well - I was a bit awkward and uncontrollable with the dual action push down top trigger.

I've yet to examine the "damage" on the model. I may have to prime again.

If anyone wants a cheap Harder & Steenbeck Ultra - go here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171966615433?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
Alba gu' brath