Imperiums: Greek Wars (successor to Aggressors) (historical pun intended)

Started by JasonPratt, August 01, 2020, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: al_infierno on August 10, 2020, 06:23:23 PM
From the hour I played, it basically feels like an upgraded and grognardier version of Civ 4 combat with emphasis on supply lines, morale, and terrain bonuses/maluses (using the right unit for the right situation).  Square grid movement with stackable units like Civ 4, but there are combat bonuses for subsequent attacks on the same target, so each "wave" of an attack gets a stronger bonus.

To amend this, I've finally gotten around to firing up the game for a second time, finishing the tutorial, and looking through the PDF manual (totally worth it, game has its hooks in me).  There's not actually "group attacks" in the same sense as Civ IV, but group attacks are simulated by having multiple units launch attacks 1 at a time with each subsequent attacker getting an increasing bonus.  Attacks are resolved against *all* units in the enemy stack, so you need to pick the right unit for the 1st wave who can soften the enemies while withstanding the brunt of the defender's spears.  There's a stacking limit of 3 units (that also prevents friendly movement through a tile), so "doomstacks" seem to be out of the question.

The more I read up on this game, the more I'm coming to love it.  It feels like an old-school Civ-style game without feeling like a Civ clone at all.  Rather, it feels like a wargamey historical 4X with an optional mythological flavor.  There are also some cool diplomatic features, like the ability to propose a multi-pronged attack against a targeted nation, selecting target cities for each attacking participant.  I'll definitely be lapping up more of this game.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

The main campaign starts at 359 BCE, not sure when it ends.  When you create a custom world, you can choose any start year from 1000 BCE to 500 AD, but I think this is just for flavor as there's a separate setting for starting level of development.

Persia is in the game in the form of the Achaemenid Empire, but the historical map is focused on Greece and a bit of western Anatolia, so the scope of what you can do with them isn't nearly the same as something like Field of Glory: Empires.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Afaik, the game ends when one factions achieves the Victory conditions. I don't think there's an end date per se.

al_infierno

I've been playing through the Peloponnese mini-campaign, focusing on a blown up version of the peninsula.  It's interesting as Sparta holds a rather Rome-like position of clear military dominance, but needs to bolster their economy and start conquering neighbors to expand their resource pool ASAP.  If you expand too aggressively, and don't maintain good relations with your distant neighbors through trades, you end up with a giant coalition rallying to take you down.  If you do play your cards right, you find yourself heading the Pelopponesian League trying to take down all dissenters.  It seems like a great beginner campaign, as you don't start at war with anyone so you can choose the pace of the game, but still poses a nice challenge.

I ended up in a two-front war against Messenia in the west and Arkadia in the north.  I was merely peacefully claiming my rightful living space for the Spartan people, and these dicks just decided to declare war on me.   >:(   Anyway, my economy is pretty strong now from building improvements and securing good trade deals, and I've managed to.... erm, encourage Spartan couples to produce more children to fuel my war machine.  But with the war effort quickly growing in scope, my hoplites are starting to lose steam -- their hands and knees must be sore from slaughtering all our enemies.  Now casualties are starting to mount, my forces are starting to lose battles, and happiness is dropping across all cities in my kingdom because the tides seem to be turning against me.

To top things off, some A-hole named Learinna just took power in one of my undefended cities (Argos in the north-east), and had the gall to offer me a white peace afterwards.  I declined, obviously, becasue I want my damn city back, so... now my list of enemies and potential fronts expands to 3.  I think they call this the "German in 1941" strategy of warfare.   :hide:

Sparta starts out with no navy, so since I haven't gotten around to building ships, you can see I've had to commit a Hoplite unit to fighting invaders off my coast in the south-east next to Motho.  I've also been reduced to hiring these damned (literally) Hades warriors.  You can spot 'em currently pillaging, looting, and being generally unpleasant to everyone between Hades and the frontline -- they're the black and red armored dudes at the bottom-center near Gythion -- not as strong as my Hoplites, but decent cheap mercs that can reduce targets before your costly Hoplites move in.

Also, I don't think you can see it on the map currently, but there's a big lion statue next to Argos as it was the capital city of a neighbor I conquered.  The game gave me an event allowing me to build a statue commemorating the fallen soldiers on their side of the war, earning some happiness and loyalty from the conquered populace at the expense of some gold and stone, which I thought was a neat touch.

- MengJiao

Anguille

I am also playing this Campaign (i have a let's play on YouTube). I started with Messenia first and now Argos. It's a fun scenario.

al_infierno

Quote from: Anguille on August 16, 2020, 03:31:31 PM
I am also playing this Campaign (i have a let's play on YouTube). I started with Messenia first and now Argos. It's a fun scenario.

Do you mind linking to your LP?  I'd be down to check it out!

- MengJiao

marcoronanan

Anguille

Quote from: al_infierno on August 16, 2020, 10:43:38 PM
Quote from: Anguille on August 16, 2020, 03:31:31 PM

Do you mind linking to your LP?  I'd be down to check it out!

I am doing it in french but here it is (Part 1):

I have done six episodes so far.

Anguille

Anguille