Main Menu

The Strain

Started by TacticalWargames, July 12, 2014, 09:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

Is anyone going to watch The Strain. Trailer looks good and has a decent director aswell.

Centurion40

Yep, I'll be tuning in.
Any time is a good time for pie.

eyebiter

TacticalWargames

Pretty poor to be honest..will try another episode..thats it.

Centurion40

It's on the DVR.  I've yet to view it.

Arctic Blast

The writing/acting is pretty uneven. I'm in for a couple of reasons, though.

1. I really liked the books, and the story does get good. And dark. REALLY dark in places.
2. Guillermo del Toro is awesome.

Centurion40

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 16, 2014, 02:46:14 PM
The writing/acting is pretty uneven.

Yeah.  It almost seemed amateurish in parts.  But I'll give it another couple of episodes.

mirth

It wasn't very good. Too many clichés. I'll watch an episode or two more maybe, but I'm not excited about it so far.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Having first seen Cory Stoll on House of Cards, seeing him in The Strain with that head of hair is the most disturbing thing about it so far :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

This review of Episode 2 really captures what works and doesn't about the show

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/strain-box-207142

Nefaro

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 20, 2014, 03:31:43 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 16, 2014, 02:46:14 PM
The writing/acting is pretty uneven.

Yeah.  It almost seemed amateurish in parts.  But I'll give it another couple of episodes.

Agreed.  Some of the writing and some of the acting isn't well done.  The Hispanic sidekick chick is a rather bad actor, many of her lines came out like cheap infomercial quality.   However, the nasty blood-drinking creature looked well-done and more akin to some Lovecraftian horror than stupid twinkly vampires.  Hopefully that situation doesn't change.

I think Penny Dreadful has been a much higher quality supernatural series... AND it's got a 19th century setting.  But it's first season is over.  The only other upcoming one I'm interested in seeing is the second series of Netflix' Hemlock Grove, although it's probably as much in the Mystery genre as Supernatural thriller.  Not sure if there's anything else of decent quality out there.

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2014, 03:43:22 PM
Having first seen Cory Stoll on House of Cards, seeing him in The Strain with that head of hair is the most disturbing thing about it so far :P

Yeah!  Took me a second (and IMDB) to figure out where I've seen him before.  Now I can't stop staring at his hairline.

Arctic Blast

Ugh. I liked the books. I'm done with the series so that I might retain my liking of the books. What a train wreck.

Centurion40

I can't read, so I'll stick with the TV series.  ;) ;)

mirth

I've taken up the books now. They are far, far superior to the show. I'm not generally a fan of horror, but I'm finding the books to be surprisingly well written - tightly paced, highly entertaining and downright scary at times.

Given the quality of the source material, I would expect the show to much better than it has been so far.