We have a Pitch Meeting thread now. Threads are _tight!_

Started by JasonPratt, May 10, 2018, 08:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

"This is an older movie that people love, so if we do it again, they'll give us money." "Oh, I love it already!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 22, 2019, 08:10:32 PM
Oddly this comes with no spoiler warnings, but y'know this is the internet, if you haven't seen any complaints about GoT Season 8 by now... you're going to see some!

This is my favourite one.  Richly deserved, too - season 8 was shockingly bad, and I'm happy to see half of Youtube attacking it.

Tpek

Dark Sansa Pitch Meeting
(You know, the movie where this time it's Sansa that goes full Targaryan)

JasonPratt

Well, the fans will always associate GoT with good writing, so the Sophie Turner thing should work out great!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

"Okay, so, just to be clear, none of these people are going to behave like actual humans?" "Oh, yeah, no, I thought that was obvious."

airboy

Fantastic 4 - we own it.

Jessica Alba should not be blonde.  That was just wrong.

The movie absolutely nails the interaction between the Human Torch and the Thing.  That was really awesome. 
And the rest of the movie sucks.

Hopefully now that Disney has all of the Marvel properties they can make a good Fantastic 4 movie.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: airboy on June 28, 2019, 09:08:28 AM
Hopefully now that Disney has all of the Marvel properties they can make a good Fantastic 4 movie.

Just like they did with Star Wars?  :2funny:

JasonPratt

...when has Disney been making Star Wars movies!?

>:D

JasonPratt

"So, you're... you're in my office." "Yes, sir, I am!"

JasonPratt

"So Luke wakes up and this ice monster has frozen his feet to the ceiling." "What? How'd he do that?!" "I don't know! -- but it happened offscreen, so you have to accept it."

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 11, 2019, 06:05:37 AM
"So Luke wakes up and this ice monster has frozen his feet to the ceiling." "What? How'd he do that?!" "I don't know! -- but it happened offscreen, so you have to accept it."

I'm impressed with his ability to catch stupid things.  Here Luke chops off the monster's arm and runs outside to freeze to death.  Don't know how I missed that one.

Huw the Poo

Eh, he probably reads a lot of what other people complain about too.  But that's cool, it doesn't take away from his talent for making really funny videos.  I love how studio executive guy always has a youthful enthusiasm for every story being pitched.

JasonPratt

"I dunno, I think we're going to have to address the fact that Luke's plan is insane." "Princess Leia is gonna be in a gold bikini along the way." "...plan's probably fine as is." "Great!"

airboy

The Return of the Jedi had so many horribly obvious plot holes in it that this Pitch Meeting is weak.  Too much ground to cover.

I remember after seeing it in the theater and saying:
Remember in Star Wars how there was this tiny design flaw and if everything worked just right they could blow up the Death Star?  In this episode they replaced the tiny design flaw with a four lane highway.

JasonPratt

It wasn't really a plot hole: the Death Star was still under construction, and those were relatively clear paths for assembly ships to move in and out.

I have always supposed that the Emperor's plan involved drawing them to the Death Star's true location for two reasons: (1) because trying to trick the Rebellion into assaulting somewhere else ran the risk of the Rebellion detecting a ruse (many Bothans died getting them the information, as famously said); and (2) he intended to use the functioning main gun to catch the fleet in a crossfire (i.e. "it's a trap!") It seem to recall (though I might be misremembering) there was even a little dialogue questioning the validity of the information.

Of course, the Death Star wasn't really wide open at all: it had NO holes, due to the local shield generator on the surface, which was protected from a small sneak strike by a large ground force waiting for ambush.

What didn't make sense was that the Death Star would have no shielding of its own. Sure, it had to be made to look vulnerable, so having a shield generator on the surface as its (apparent) vulnerable point makes sense in that context. But the moment that thing came down anyway, the DS's own shielding system should have come up. But it didn't have any! -- when that should have been the first thing completed! (Unless those were destroyed by the crash of the Executor? I'm pretty sure that explanation isn't the film.)

I suppose the explanation could be stretched to include the concept that the Rebels might have found out there was a main shield, and then would have been suspicious of a orbital shield generator on the planet -- or at least would have figured (correctly) that destroying it would be pointless -- so the Emperor decided to make sure the DS looked vulnerable by leaking the information that it had no inherent shields.

I think it's important to note, in criticizing his plan, that by all appearances IT WOULD HAVE WORKED! He perfectly caught the whole rebel fleet in a crossfire. (I'm pretty sure in the novelization, there would have been mention of gravity generators to block hyperspace jumping, which was a thing introduced in Ep5, and heavily employed in the battles of the original true sequel trilogy story from Zahn about Thrawn, if not also in the X-Wing games which I also sort-of remember.) And he caught the sneak mission with a lot more ground power waiting in ambush.

His whole plan would have worked, aside from possibly still losing to the Skywalkers, if Luke hadn't 'forced' C-3P0 to be a god to the local carnivorous teddy-bears, earning their alliance!

To this evaluation, may I add the implicit agreement of Zahn himself, who had his strategic and tactical mastermind Thrawn complaining, not about the Emperor's plan per se, but about building another Death Star at all instead of several more fleets based around Super Star Destroyers. (He mourned the loss of Vader's flagship, the Executor, more than the loss of either DS.)  :nerd:

Anyway, nothing matters anymore, because we now know that anyone could have programmed a hyperspace missile at any time to destroy either of the Death Stars, or practically anything else, whenever they wanted to.  ::)  :P  :pullhair: