Burden of Command Announced

Started by Mad Russian, June 30, 2017, 09:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Russian

Burden of Command (BoC)was announced today. I'm happy to bring it to Grogheads as well as being a part of the team putting this game together.

BoC is a leadership simulation, that centers on the battles the 7th Infantry Regiment participated in, during WW2. Land in North Africa, fight on Sicily, take part in the slugfest of Italy, land at Anzio, take Cisterna - one of the toughest assignments ever given to a US Infantry Regiment, participate in the amphibious landing in Southern France and on into Germany to take Berchtesgaden.

It's a very different kind of gaming experience. This is all about the burden of leadership. Can you complete the mission? Will you get you or your men killed? What does your superior think of how you're doing your job? What do your men think of you? Is their morale high or low? Do you need to lead by example and charge forward? Fix bayonets, flanking moves, pull back (we never retreat - we only advance in a different direction), accept the enemy surrender, stop at the objective or keep fighting? You need more resources for this attack? Fine, but you better get results if you ask for them.

The game follows the exploits of the 7th Infantry Regiment as laid out in the book "American Courage, American Carnage" by best selling author John McManus. While the battles are historically accurate your actions, and the decisions you take, influence not only the outcome of the individual scenarios but also the overall campaign. Your ratings increase or decrease by the actions you take and the results you get.

The game is still in development and playtesting but is progressing rapidly.
The home page:

http://burdenofcommand.com/

The YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6D1rHMFvqsVM1ICFVQFXOA

The first game review:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/30/the-flare-path-burden-of-command/

Look forward to seeing you on this battlefield soon.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Steelgrave

It looks fascinating and a potential must-buy. I love the concept. Definitely a title to keep an eye on!

Raied

Finally something like DC:B concept but in regiment level, I am excited about it.

Barthheart

Very cool! Looking forward to more info and game play. Day one buy.  O0

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Philippe

Really good concept. 

Easy for me to say because I don't have to program it, but having only two courses of action for each situation feels a bit limited.  You don't have time to think things over in those situations, but your instinctive reaction might not be one of the two that are listed.

The Great Whale Road uses a similar mechanic. Choosing from a menu of three or four choices seems best -- just don't make the choices too wordy!
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Mad Russian

Quote from: Philippe on June 30, 2017, 10:04:28 AM
Really good concept. 

That's what we thought. Although it took a little time for me to wrap my head around this game it has tremendous potential.

Easy for me to say because I don't have to program it, but having only two courses of action for each situation feels a bit limited.  You don't have time to think things over in those situations, but your instinctive reaction might not be one of the two that are listed.

The Great Whale Road uses a similar mechanic. Choosing from a menu of three or four choices seems best -- just don't make the choices too wordy!

The war comes complete with multiple choices for various things. Landing on a beach do you land on the left, right or center? 3 choices. Do you want additional forces? 2 choices - yes or no, very simple.
When you secure your objectives do you wish to continue to exploit your success or secure what you have? Again, yes or no - very simple. Will you go to the aid of a downed soldier, advance to him to be pulled back or do an all out assault to keep casualties down? 3 choices and far from simple.

And the war goes on around you while you are making your choices.

Good Hunting.

MR

JasonPratt

From Morocco to Munich: squee!!!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Mad Russian

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 30, 2017, 10:45:58 AM
From Morocco to Munich: squee!!!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

You're in this fight for the duration soldier! The only way to get out of this fight is to have them carry your broken body off the field.  :knuppel2:

Good Hunting.

MR

lhughes42

Hey Guys,
  Project lead for Burden of Command here. Thrilled to see some attention from Grogheads. Shocked no one has made the Ambush reference yet ;-) Come on grogheads ;-)
  Seriously, thanks guys. It's a particular delight for us to have the Mad Russian (Steve) on our team. Much to live up to there. And keep up the good advice. We're listening hard.
   Bit crazed today but I'll be back (to quote Arnold).
   Luke
Burden of Command lead
Steam: http://bit.ly/BoCSteam

Barthheart

Welcome Luke1 Thanks for stopping by. It's always great to have the Dev people stop in to ask questions to.

The Ambush angle hadn't hit me until you mentioned it, but yeah it looks like it will have that feel.  O0

Sir Slash

OK. I'm all-in. Allowing the player multiple tactical choices in any given situation as well as a few ethical or emotional decisions too would be Wargaming Heaven. You guys are going to be responsible for me missing many husbandly chores.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

lhughes42

Sir Slash!
  No! We can't take that kind of bad press when you get found out ;-) Now back to folding the laundry ;-)
   Luke
Burden of Command lead
Steam: http://bit.ly/BoCSteam

BradS62

Keeping an eye on this one. Similar to GMT Combat Commander?

spelk

Excited to see this in development, and to have the lead dev and the Mad Russian on board!

Looking ahead to good things fellas!