ICBM - The Global Conflict (in development)

Started by ufnv, September 15, 2019, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ufnv

Long time reader but the first time poster...

I am the author of the Polaris Sector game that some of you may know - there was a long discussion here on the forum.

Now I am working on the completely different game, called ICBM - The Global Conflict.

It is the single and multiplayer game about the thermonuclear war, somewhat inspired by the Introversion's DEFCON.

Like Polaris Sector, it is real-time with auto pause (so no click fest). You control one of the superpowers and your goal is to score as much points as possible (before the world is totally ruined) by nuking the other players.

Unlike DEFCON, however, there is the possibility to build units and do the research, thus allowing for vastly different strategies. Also there are a lot of other things that make the game unique, I'll show more later.

Now, the short game footage - seven AI players nuking each other :)

Jarhead0331

Wow! Welcome to the forum. So glad to have you here. I am a huge fan of Polaris Sector and think it's a fantastic 4x game. Definitely on my top 5 list.

Very interested in ICBM. I hope you will incorporate some of the detailed concepts from Bravo Romeo Delta.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

Welcome!  I also enjoy Polaris Sector.  Will keep an eye on this thread for more info going forward.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

solops

Big Polaris Sector fan here. I still hope for more DLC.
ICBM , yes!! One of my all-time favorite games is Nuclear Destruction, a Play-by-mail game from Flying Buffalo (Rick Loomis). There was a build-up period where industry was built, missiles built, ABMs built, minors bribed and then boom! Missiles flew and the last survivor won. Often there were no survivors after a prolonged exchange. I hope you can use some of those ideas.
Please keep us updated here!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Speedy

Looks like an updated version of defcon, which was a fun little game.

I would really love to see an updated version of Bravo Romeo Delta though where you put together realistic nuclear targeting packages.

ufnv

Thanks, will do my best to make a good game :)

As to Bravo Romeo Delta - need to study it a little, as I have never played it before.

The new video is here - the satellite positioning.

Huw the Poo

I didn't play Polaris Sector but I do have fond memories of Defcon.  I think I'm in for this one. O0

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Speedy on September 17, 2019, 03:25:56 AM
Looks like an updated version of defcon, which was a fun little game.

I would really love to see an updated version of Bravo Romeo Delta though where you put together realistic nuclear targeting packages.

Wow, finally found someone else that played Bravo Romeo Delta.   

One of the more interesting and yet frustrating games I've ever played. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Ugh...I mentioned it above too. I've posted heavily about it in the distant past. I still have it and one of the only copies of the user manual In existence. Got it straight from the developer who I corresponded with at length pre-2005. He wanted to sell me the code, but I had no use for it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ufnv

So, am I right that the what makes Bravo Romeo Delta so special is (in two words) the very wide selection of the potential means and targets, plus the realistic simulation?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ufnv on September 18, 2019, 06:47:54 AM
So, am I right that the what makes Bravo Romeo Delta so special is (in two words) the very wide selection of the potential means and targets, plus the realistic simulation?

The depth of simulation is what makes it unique. It is still the only dedicated simulation of global thermal nuclear warfare available on the PC.  It models everything, from weaponry, ICBMs, SLBMs, strategic bomber forces, communications, yield, radiation, radar and detection, destruction and loss of life from blast, radioactive fire, etc.  It is a chilling simulation despite its antiquated cga graphics and awkward UI.

The goal is to win the war through limited strategic escalation without leading to outright global nuclear war and total destruction. I think I accomplished this once.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2019, 07:46:55 AM
Quote from: ufnv on September 18, 2019, 06:47:54 AM

The depth of simulation is what makes it unique. It is still the only dedicated simulation of global thermal nuclear warfare available on the PC.  It models everything, from weaponry, ICBMs, SLBMs, strategic bomber forces, communications, yield, radiation, radar and detection, destruction and loss of life from blast, radioactive fire, etc.  It is a chilling simulation despite its antiquated cga graphics and awkward UI.

The goal is to win the war through limited strategic escalation without leading to outright global nuclear war and total destruction. I think I accomplished this once.

https://jasonlefkowitz.net/2014/11/choreographing-armageddon-bravo-romeo-delta/

UPDATE (March 12, 2019): In a minor miracle of technology, thanks to the folks at the Internet Archive, you can now play Bravo Romeo Delta in your Web browser.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Bravo_Romeo_Delta_1993

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2019, 06:05:12 AM
Ugh...I mentioned it above too. I've posted heavily about it in the distant past. I still have it and one of the only copies of the user manual In existence. Got it straight from the developer who I corresponded with at length pre-2005. He wanted to sell me the code, but I had no use for it.

Sorry JH.   I missed it.   Forgive my bleary eyes and addled brain.  I was posting far too soberly.

That's two other people that's played Bravo Romeo Delta.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 18, 2019, 10:55:51 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2019, 06:05:12 AM

Sorry JH.   I missed it.   Forgive my bleary eyes and addled brain.  I was posting far too soberly.

That's two other people that's played Bravo Romeo Delta.

LoL. Between the three of us, we have probably nuked a lot of real estate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 18, 2019, 08:06:32 AM

UPDATE (March 12, 2019): In a minor miracle of technology, thanks to the folks at the Internet Archive, you can now play Bravo Romeo Delta in your Web browser.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Bravo_Romeo_Delta_1993

Very cool. I had not been able to get the game files to run on Win10. Thanks for posting this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog