Steam and Iron almost out!

Started by Slick Wilhelm, February 03, 2012, 04:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Nice. I haven't chatted with Christopher in a while. Might be a good time to catch up.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

I downloaded the screenshots and this game looks very interesting. Hope to hear some impressions from you all soon.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

I too downloaded those screenshots. I know the game isn't about the graphics, but am I the only one who thought they were, well, almost hard on the eyes?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: LongBlade on February 04, 2012, 10:29:31 AM
I too downloaded those screenshots. I know the game isn't about the graphics, but am I the only one who thought they were, well, almost hard on the eyes?

Agreed...although graphics would be secondary to me, they were a little difficult to see and seemed to be kind of a blob.  Never played a game in this series so will be interested in feedback before even considering.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on February 04, 2012, 10:29:31 AM

I agree with you two... the yellow and blue were really rough to make out. I always had this problem with Harpoon, unless they put it on the black.

In fact, I am having trouble making out how the game is controlled and such as well (i.e. the UI doesn't have much detail in those screens).

I wonder if the game scales to widescreen?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Staggerwing

It looks a bit like HPS' Jutland w/out the hand-drawn ship tiles info boxes. The ships look better at zoom though.
What I want to know is...are there Zeppelins!?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Epee1

I like the concept, but when you want to play single player, the game needs a campaign.  Single scenarios are fine for PBEM, and what if this ship or that ship met.

Of course from NWS side of things they had SAS, and it didn't do well, so go figure.

Sir Slash

A demo is supposed to be in the works.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Slick Wilhelm

I bought it this morning, and took it for a very quick spin.

It does scale to your full native resolution, so I was playing it in 1920x1200.

You can change the colors of the water, land & ships. So that helps at least a little. It won't win any beauty contests, of course.

Busy day for me today, so I probably won't get much quality time with it. I'll post again later when I have something to share.

LongBlade

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Warship NWS

a) You can change the mapping interface colors in SAI - even the ship deck colors can be changed.

b) So far first impressions have been very good for SAI, which BTW launched last night...
http://forums.navalwarfare.net/showthread.php?2405-Player-comments-thread-Updated-2-5-2013

c) SAS is making a good comeback .. TG has made outstanding strides with the engine based on constant player feedback. Updates over the last year have brought about a lot of improvements and new features.

Thanks.

Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store
http://www.nwswargaming.net

Johnnie

First impressions: plays a lot like HPS Jutland, but seems much more fluid and smoother;  almost no learning curve if you are at all familiar with this type of game;  battle generator instantly and realistically creates fog of war in the North Sea; the scenario editor is easy to use.

Exactly what I was hoping for.  You can play the Dogger Bank action (or let the computer create a similar size variant of the same and play that out) in an hour or less.  Perfect for the WW1 or Jutland freak.

Drawings of the ships in side boxes ala HPS (or, even better, photos) would be nice but the game plays very nicely as is.

Just discovered this forum today.  Thanks for the invite Gus.