Swastika still in use with armed forces

Started by Con, July 02, 2020, 11:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I saw this today and was quite surprised that is was still in use (until now).  I understand the historical rationale but I do think this was an easy decision that should have been made some time ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53249645

Gusington

Yeah you can find images and video of Finnish military parades from say, 4 or 5 years ago, featuring prominently displayed swastikas on unit banners, etc.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

I am pretty sure the swastika predates Nazi Germany. They are the ones that screwed it up for all of us.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Yeah its 1000s of years old, originally from what is now India, IIRC.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Gusington on July 03, 2020, 11:04:02 AM
Yeah its 1000s of years old, originally from what is now India, IIRC.

It was probably invented in several places independently.

In India the symbol is very present today as a symbol for prosperity and good luck. I have seen it painted on houses of newly wed couples in Rahjastan, in fresco's covering whole walls together with pictures of pots with gold. Aligned horizontally instead of diagonally.

Some Indians do get confused though. When I was there, there was a media-uproar about a café that was called Hitler's Cross, with the diagonal swastika, and the red white and black Nazi colours, and featuring a large portrait of Hitler. The owner claimed innocence, stating that it seemed like an interesting theme. There are quite a few Indians who think favourably about the Nazi's, as they weakened the British might, and those people generally don't bother too much to inform themselves about what happened in Europe at the time. This bar owner changed the name after Jewish representatives explained to him why they took offence.

Gusington

^Yes I've heard stories like that.

In New York City there are more than a few buildings, built before the war, with swastikas as part of their architectural details...just as another example.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

It's probably 10'000 years old actually. One of the oldest symbols. Destroyed by the Nazis.

India barely had anything to do with Germans during WWII...that and a lot of ignorance. They probably also have some romantic view of the Nazis who were fighting their own enemy...the british empire. So for the Indians, the Nazis were the good guys. Not sure if they are being taught what they did in the camps.

I am very surprised that Finlands has kept it that long...they really should know better. And the symbol isn't related to their culture.

Gusington

We could start a whole new thread on how the Nazis are perceived in huge parts of Asia.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on July 03, 2020, 02:28:52 PM
We could start a whole new thread on how the Nazis are perceived in huge parts of Asia.

Indeed. I guess however that it's mostly because of the same/similar reasons.

Con

I get all the previous ancient historical references but my surprise is that a western nation that fought with and against the nazis and is a participant (but not a member) of NATO is using the swastika.  That was unexpected.

Jarhead0331

I guess nobody noticed because the entire Finnish Air Force consists of only about 130 aircraft.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Canadian Icehockey Team

Softball Washington

Rowing club in Groningen 1924

In the 1930's all these sportsclubs changed their logo's.

Ubercat

Stop letting white supremacists get away with cultural appropriation!

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

al_infierno

It's crazy because if you were around pre-WWII, the Swastika was just an ubiquitous symbol.  It'd be like if a political party used a happy face as their symbol, and they went on to commit mass atrocities later, and the happy face was then forever known as a racist symbol.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jamus34

Quote from: al_infierno on July 03, 2020, 06:54:10 PM
It's crazy because if you were around pre-WWII, the Swastika was just an ubiquitous symbol.  It'd be like if a political party used a happy face as their symbol, and they went on to commit mass atrocities later, and the happy face was then forever known as a racist symbol.

Can we have some hate group do that with Emoji's....all of them????

Please????
Insert witty comment here.