Main Menu

Legion War

Started by DennisS, January 30, 2019, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

New Steam game. Classic 4x, with small, medium, large, XL, and XXL maps.

Three races at the moment, humans, undead, and mechs. Fourth is planned.

VERY deep, surprisingly so. Here are some of the things you can do:

Capture villages, gold mines, quarries, and a few other things, each of which give you resources.

Recruit level 1-3 armies, as your Castle improves. Similar to HoMM.

Eight different upgrade areas for your castle, to place about 20 different buildings, each of which have several different upgrades.

Hero system, at least 50 different upgrades, each with six armor slots. Combat, defense, support roles, or a combination.

Each race has eight different army units, each with six levels of upgrades, three options for each upgrade level.

The AI is strong. I just got my ass kicked in at the second lowest level.

There is much more than I have described. It is a two person team that developed in, one excellent programmer, and his girlfriend the artist. They're Chinese, and her art is anime. I like the art, personally, and the game is much, MUCH more polished and sophisticated than the art might suggest.

Das Tactic has a series of youtube let's plays. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeV2ky_UsF0&t=5s

Jarhead0331

The art style is a total turn off for me. I just can't get over playing something that looks like a cartoon my 5 year old daughter might enjoy watching on Disney Junior. I recognize that this could be deceiving and result in a missed opportunity, but it is just not my cup of tea.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2019, 11:34:05 AM
The art style is a total turn off for me. I just can't get over playing something that looks like a cartoon my 5 year old daughter might enjoy watching on Disney Junior. I recognize that this could be deceiving and result in a missed opportunity, but it is just not my cup of tea.

Does this mean I should cancel your invite to the Brony convention?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 30, 2019, 11:52:44 AM

Does this mean I should cancel your invite to the Brony convention?

Yes. Please. But, by all means...knock yourself out and have fun!  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

I for one might welcome a Chinese anime-artist girlfriend.  :coolsmiley:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

This is evolving in to the first best thread of the year. Undead and mechs together sound great, hopefully there will be another attempt with a less ridiculous art style.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2019, 12:27:40 PM

Yes. Please. But, by all means...knock yourself out and have fun!  :crazy2:

It's ok, I'll pass too.  I'm not fond of mixing a Rainbow Dash with my Fluttershy.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

My fictional Chinese anime-artist girlfriend would no doubt draw the hell out of that.  :smitten:

(Okay, I need to stop joking about that, or the Chinese bots in our communications hardware will start flooding me with honey traps as a way of getting agents into the country.)

(Also, I have legitimately forgotten what this thread was supposed to be about... {checking} )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Destraex

Yep. Art is very childish. But then it seems young men like pink pony anime these days. Judging by the avatars in other forums.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 30, 2019, 04:11:59 PM
(Also, I have legitimately forgotten what this thread was supposed to be about... {checking} )

Then my work here is done. 

Another day aspiring to achieve the glory of the Grogheads Order of the Golden Dongle.

MetalDog

^Heh heh heh, he said Grogheads
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

DennisS

I respect you gentlemen's opinion. You don't care for the art style. Fair enough.

My personal opinion, mine alone, is that the GAMEPLAY is the most important part of any game.

I guess that the Steam rating of 94% positive doesn't mean that much, either.....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DennisS on January 30, 2019, 08:03:07 PM
I respect you gentlemen's opinion. You don't care for the art style. Fair enough.

My personal opinion, mine alone, is that the GAMEPLAY is the most important part of any game.

I guess that the Steam rating of 94% positive doesn't mean that much, either.....

Respect your opinion too, and I'm not criticizing. It's  just not for me, even though I can still see it possibly being a really good strategy game for others. I'm glad you found something new you like and I'm sure some others around here will discover it because you posted about it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

I for one didn't criticize the art style at all! -- though it isn't my favorite. Still wishlisted it.  O:-)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DennisS on January 30, 2019, 08:03:07 PM

You know we're all a bunch of reprobates.

To each his own, if you like the style, that's fine.  I know a lot that get into it. 

Myself, I find even the Firaxis X-Com and Civ to be pushing the edge of what I like. 

But I'm a grim dour individual who finds no joy in anything except cheap whiskey and cheaper adult cinema.  No one should care a whit about what I think. 

Nah, the game looks interesting.   It's not for me, but there's lots of things people enjoy that aren't for me either. 

It takes all kinds to make a world!