A War of a Madman's Making - text-based war planning and political survival RPG

Started by al_infierno, May 04, 2022, 02:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFjordFox

I'm just another random.

al_infierno

@Steve - Good eye!  :)  That image you found was the exact reference I gave to the artists who made that portrait + the character sprite for the Great Leader.

@Fjord & Gus - Thank you!   :bd:  Will definitely post updates as development progresses.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

https://witching-metal.itch.io/a-war-of-a-madmans-making/devlog/379322/deceiving-the-great-leader

The Great Leader has a reputation for shooting the messenger. This war is full of bad news, so how will you present it to him?

The following excerpt from the in-game Encyclopaedia explains the hidden Great Leader Deception system:

When you report to the Great Leader, you may be tempted to exaggerate or even lie to soften the blow of bad news and save your own life. He's known for shooting the messenger after all.

There's a hidden Great Leader Deception stat which tracks how often you manipulate the truth. If you lie or bend the truth too much, the Leader will catch on and arrest you. This Deception threshold might increase or decrease throughout the game.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

When the invasion seems like it's on the cusp of success, you'll be faced with hard choices. Will you accept a loss and decide how to report the bad news to the Leader? Or desperately reach for victory at a greater cost?

- MengJiao

al_infierno

A nice showoff of various character sprites, and also an important plot point at the Daughters' Ball: You have an opportunity to coach your family on how to act in the presence of the Great Leader, and also opportunities to scheme and subvert the Leader.

- MengJiao

al_infierno

Free demo available now!  Play through the prologue, character creation, and the first phase of the war.  See the initial consequences of your plans and report to the Great Leader - but try and keep your neck in the meantime!

Follow the link here, scroll down, and click "Download Now":

https://witching-metal.itch.io/a-war-of-a-madmans-making/devlog/384174/free-demo-available-now

The demo is available for Mac and Windows.  If you run into any errors or crashes, please take a screenshot and drop a comment!

This is all still WIP so any feedback is much appreciated  ;)

- MengJiao

JasonPratt

So far so good! Wishlisted on Steam last week, just forgot to say so.  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Demo is now on Steam for all the lazy bastages ;)

Experience the prologue and first 1/3 of the story.  Plan the war, begin your power games, and report to the Great Leader.  But watch what you say - he's known to shoot the messenger!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985710/A_War_of_a_Madmans_Making/

- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

- MengJiao

al_infierno

Demo updated to version 0.1.2 - now with fancy features like a proper ending!  And the early custom GUI elements, including little icons for choosing your preferred alcohol  <:-)

https://witching-metal.itch.io/a-war-of-a-madmans-making/devlog/388102/update-012

- MengJiao

al_infierno

I overcame the first major hurdle of game dev and actually got a small community of players interested in my game!   :bd:  I created a Discord for anyone to play the latest Alpha of the full game, plus a space for reporting bugs, sharing feedback, and so on.

Join the Discord here!  https://discord.gg/XxYtYqYVwx

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd