Main Menu

Love like Friday

Started by Anguille, May 06, 2022, 03:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Rayfer/Gus

Only just getting going with ATOM but two things already hit me...

Firstly the atmosphere and dialogue in the game is spot on and often very funny in a cynical worrld weary kind of way which hits my sweet spot....though I appreciate humour is subjective.

It gets a big thumbs up for being politically incorrect  at appropriate moments and avoids the obsessions of the current age.....I shall say no more than that, but as an example Gus can take as a trait in the very involved character creation process a trait called " Lady Killer" or something similar where all NPC's of the opposite sex , assuming you play as a male, find you incredibly charming so your speechcraft gets a big boost. On the other hand NPC's of the same sex see you as a smarmy bastard and you take a big penalty when speaking to them🙂
It us quite an adult game so short lived "romances" are looking likely !

Secondly.....it os not an easy game and the devs are open about that. Think Underail levels of difficulty so I will only be playing on normal difficulty at most. Food is hard to come by, as is ammo and scavanging and crafting looks to be essential.

I will know more later.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

^Thanks! Underrail kicked my arse. Did you also get the Trudograd expansion? Very curious about combat too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Not got Trudograd yet as I wanted to see if I liked the system first. Steam has ATOM 88% positive review and Trudograd even higher btw but I am always a bit cautious like Rayfer !

Combat is based on initiative as to who goes first, based on traits chosen and level ups and melee weapons include fists, broken botgles,bricks,spades all the way up to more elaborate devices. Firearms include pistols,shotguns,sniper,crossbows,rifles,kalashnikovs up to heavier weapons ...

Gusington

Real time or turn based combat?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Turn based combat....my ability to coordinate real time is long gone  : ;)

Gusington

Mine is slowly fading, as I am learning in PoEII :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Cracked open PoEII a bit more today and it is fantastic. Got access to my ship, crew and management of both, and now that I can sail around the game world, the map has grown like 100 times its original size. Lots of islands, fortresses, villages and cities to visit. This the game I was hoping Greedfall was going to be.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Okay so I now have been able to get a lot more time into ATOM RPG and it is for me an absolute belter of a game. Traits and stats really matter insofar as how the game plays out. My high speechcraft skills are really paying off and my relative lack of perception skills means I miss out on certain discoveries.

The NPC's are interesting and distinctive and for me it is my favourite RPG of the last 5 years by a long way. Encased is blown away by the game and Underrail has a much less engaging world but it may just be I love the ex Soviet Union "fallout" style setting.

Well worth the very low price.

I now have ATOM Trudograd the follow up game on my wishlist for when this one ends. You can , if you want mport your character into Trudograd from the first game and if Dmitri gets out alive I will definitely do that  :)

Gusington

^I'll be sending you the receipt 😎

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 08, 2022, 01:18:27 PM
^I'll be sending you the receipt 😎

Not another one 🙄

I will put it with the rest .....

(If your character gets it on with Katya in the first village at some point you win a prize.....My boy  Dmitri is still trying 👍

Anguille

Quote from: devoncop on May 07, 2022, 05:16:25 AM
After actually winning a couple of games of Civ 5 (but bouncing off the latest  Master of Orion yet again) 
Finding both games to be very similar, why are you bouncing off the latest Master of Orion? What is it you don't like or where is the difference with Civ 5 you don't like?

devoncop

Quote from: Anguille on May 08, 2022, 02:07:40 PM
After actually winning a couple of games of Civ 5 (but bouncing off the latest  Master of Orion yet again) 
Finding both games to be very similar, why are you bouncing off the latest Master of Orion? What is it you don't like or where is the difference with Civ 5 you don't like?

I find the setting a bit lifeless and sterile I suppose. Maybe because I played some Distant Worlds 2 recently with the private economy ships whizzing about etc. Not keen on some of yhe races either.

Probably just me but I thought it lacked atmosphere.

Sir Slash

Gus, glad you're liking Poe 2. While you're in Nerataka, you simply MUST visit the Luminous Bath House. The views there are spectacular.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

Quote from: devoncop on May 08, 2022, 02:33:26 PM
Quote from: Anguille on May 08, 2022, 02:07:40 PM

I find the setting a bit lifeless and sterile I suppose. Maybe because I played some Distant Worlds 2 recently with the private economy ships whizzing about etc. Not keen on some of yhe races either.

Probably just me but I thought it lacked atmosphere.
¨
I see, too bad. Guess you haven't been a MoO player in the past (MoO 1&2)?

devoncop

[/quote]¨
I see, too bad. Guess you haven't been a MoO player in the past (MoO 1&2)?
[/quote]

Yeah correct.

MOO1 and 2 were before my major investment in PC gaming.

That may explain it.