ARMA Reforger - Released to Early Access

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 17, 2022, 12:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old TImer

Just thought I'd get back into ArmA after many years away. 
Tried to find some mods and such at Armaholic and darn if
that site is gone.  Lotsa good stuff on there it's a shame.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: gregb41352 on May 18, 2022, 09:16:38 PM

Steam workshop, dude.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2022, 12:06:35 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 18, 2022, 11:57:22 AM
I might feel better about paying $30 for the first stroke of a brush on canvas, if there was strong promise of that being a downpayment on the price of the eventual painting.  ::)

I'll never understand this kind of an attitude. If supporting development is not your thing, fine. I can dig it.

I've financially supported lots of beta and even alpha development over the years, including some Kickstarter boardgames where much less than Reforger (namely nothing playable by me yet) existed. Heck, this past month I played several dozen hours of 7 Days to Die again (until its system architecture inevitably unraveled again, and I don't even like zombie games usually), and it has been in alpha almost as long as Star Citizen. I got into that game no later than Alpha 8, maybe back as far as Alpha 6, and it's now working through build 20.

Anyway, I wasn't AT ALL against supporting the game for future development. My quip was aimed at the rumor that Reforger will be dropped in favor of a separate finished game to be re-bought later.

The key to the rumor or guess about separate builds to buy, goes back to the asking price: $30 seems like about half what the eventual list price will be; so okay they're opening up alpha development for capitalization by early backers, if fans of the series want to. For purposes of making sure early adopters pay the rest of the eventual list price, there has to be two builds, I understand that. But shouldn't that be a pay half (or whatever eventual fraction) now, pay the rest later?

Your own assessment previously, including on the rumor (my italics), was, "I think for the average or casual player, $29.99 will not make sense. I think it is overpriced for the content that it presently has. I also think it is overpriced if it is only going to be supported for a year, although I have trouble believing this developer would simply abandon anything seeing how they have supported the other arma titles for years."

Well, yes, I also agree that's overpriced, if it is ONLY going to be supported for a year -- implying the full build must be bought again at full release price (or at the normal temporary release discount let's say). Much moreso by proportion do I agree it's currently overpriced, the less the current content exists (only the first stroke of a brush on new canvas). How am I disagreeing in principle with you there??

And yet, if Bohemia Interactive was making a clear and strong commitment to provide a loyalty discount for early backers, I'd be more likely to invest early, even if this build is only the first brush stroke on a new canvas -- and based on their own comments there seems to be more than just a brush stroke already, which is a good thing, right?

Now, I went to their Early Access FAQ on Steam's game page, to see if they had any clarity on this matter. The only statement I found pertaining to the topic, sort of, was this toward the end: "Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
"The price will remain the same after Early Access."" (This was their least detailed answer by far, btw.)

So... really, Arma 4, the full game, will only be US$30?? That's amazing! We should all be rejoicing! Or did they mean the tech demo will remain the same price, $30, after the full game is released...? That sounds kind of insane, so surely not correct? But maybe they mean the general multiplayer will be $30 (being released in late alpha now for early adopters to help with development, which seems to me a smart idea for this game series), and the singleplayer or co-op campaign will be another $30 or more (sort of on the Star Citizen purchase model). Okay, that's doable, sure -- but how does that fit with the rumor that Reforger will only be supported for a year?

The implications of the rest of their Early Access FAQ look more like what we'd expect if this early build is simply transitioning into the full game eventually, which would be the usual process. They don't say Reforger as a program for sale will only be supported for a year; they say, "We are expecting the Early Access phase to last a year, maximum." Okay, that's fine (if overly optimistic, but they seem to say in their FAQ that a ton of content is already in Reforger.)

It's the (even briefer) statement that the price won't change after EA ends, which is confusing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2022, 08:08:40 AM
Quote from: Destraex on May 18, 2022, 08:00:33 AM
A lot of people seem to be claiming reforger is over simplified for consoles?

I think that is a silly claim. This is very early access. I think part of the whole point of Reforger is that it lets serious players get into the new engine and help shape development, just like Bohemia did with the development branch of ARMA3. This way players can make requests and suggestions for features. Otherwise, the handling of infantry, if anything, is more flexible than it was in ARMA3...pacing, posture and crouching, jumping and vaulting, etc. It is all much more advanced.

People just need to chill. This is the first brush stroke on a new canvas.

Arma4 is coming and I have no doubt Reforger will help make it epic.

Nice. That's really good to know. It's always refreshing to get the low down from you guys.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

ArizonaTank

So is Reforger content just Multi-player?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Thomm

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 19, 2022, 01:26:59 PM
In the present state, apparently yes.

Best regards
Thomm

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Thomm on May 19, 2022, 05:00:18 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 19, 2022, 01:26:59 PM
In the present state, apparently yes.

Best regards
Thomm

You can create quick missions with AI squads. That is my understanding...I have not personally tried it out yet though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Old TImer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2022, 09:21:27 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on May 18, 2022, 09:16:38 PM

Steam workshop, dude.

Of course but there were mods for ArmA2 and OFP and other things not on Steam workshop.

Skoop

After watching the videos, the game play does look way more fluid and improved.  Still would not spend 30bucks on this, I'd be all in if it was F2P or even 10bucks. 

I'd even preorder arma4 for 60 bucks if they threw this in for free.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog