Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

HCMS Bonaventure in a storm, 1959.

Small gallery of pics here:

http://imgur.com/a/MHeZS
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Pieces of what will eventually be  the next Ford-class aircraft carrier - John F. Kennedy (CVN 79)

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on April 30, 2015, 08:13:33 AM
HCMS Bonaventure in a storm, 1959.

Small gallery of pics here:

http://imgur.com/a/MHeZS

My dad was on the Maggie from 1952-53.  He said that the shitters were basically open tubes through the hull.  On days like the one pictured above, a seaman could experience a bracing breeze or a refreshing spritz whilst defecating.  :o
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72)

mirth

USS Farragut (DDG-99)

besilarius

On the old, World War I destroyers, called four-pipers, they were small enough that you couldn't go from the stern to the bow under the main deck.  You had to go topside.
In a storm, ropes were rigged to grab hold of.  They taught the sailors that if you saw a really big wave coming, the important thing was to put your head against a bulkhead.  This way it wasn't slammed into an unmoving object.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Airborne Rifles

Last summer I had the chance to go to London to do some research and I took advantage of the opportunity to go down to the historic dockyards at Portsmouth to knock an item off my bucket list: seeing the HMS Victory. I've been meaning to share these photos for a while, but I have some time on my hands now and I'm just getting around to it. Here they are:

HMS Victory

As my two-year-old son says, "Cannons! Boom boom!"

Where Nelson fell

Airborne Rifles

The HMS Warrior (first British Ironclad frigate) is there too:

Much more open inside the armored box:

And they apparently took boarding operations incredibly seriously:

Airborne Rifles

As a bonus, HMS Illustrious was there too, right across from Victory:

mirth

Great pics! Thanks for sharing them.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

BanzaiCat

Airborne Rifles

There was a Royal Navy officer in Nelson's cabin answering questions when I was there. A woman asked him who was in charge of the ship (since it's still an active ship in the Royal Navy) and his (very sad, to me) answer was "Admiral so-and-so is the First Sea Lord, he commands the whole Royal Navy...or what's left of it."

bob48

I've only been down to see HMS Victory once, but it really is most impressive.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

We thought you served on her.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.