Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 07, 2013, 04:17:38 PM
I think UGeek and Poo will be starting their AARs within the next two days, and if they're open (at least for a while) we'll get some entertainment from that.

Well, I was actually wondering how we'll do this.  How can we write AARs as we play without revealing stuff?  Geek, what do you plan to do?

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 07, 2013, 04:01:59 PM
awesome - did not know that!!

Neither did I - that is indeed awesome!

QuoteHuws going to be a nervous wreck by the time we kick off

LOL, yeah, I'm gagging to get started!  I'm enjoying my single player game, but killing my friends PBEM is where it's at!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 07, 2013, 04:17:38 PM
I think UGeek and Poo will be starting their AARs within the next two days, and if they're open (at least for a while) we'll get some entertainment from that.

yeah im wondering about the open-ness of the AAR, trying to work out what to give away without compromising my awesome tactics

JasonPratt

You could say the first posts are open up to the point where you explicitly close them to your opponents; then after that, takes notes for posts as often as you like but put them up at some number of days delay where you feel safe, redacting out and generalizing information as you prefer.

I've seen people do this a lot on PBEM games at the Matrix boards; that's how I'd do it if I wanted to run a somewhat up-to-date AAR. The posts once I started them would keep readers updated on a regular basis, but lagging significantly behind the actual operations.

Think in terms of releasing information to newspapers. You want it accurate enough to give your own population some idea of what's going on (plus lies for propaganda and misinformation?!), but sanitized enough that it will be of minimal use for your opponents should they happen to also listen in.

Another option would be only to report on what your opponents are doing (including on what happens when your opponents run into you, but keeping it from your best guess of your opponents' perspectives). That might inadvertently give your opponents information on how good they're doing at fogging your war, but after all you don't always have to tell everything you think you've detected about your opponent. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 05, 2013, 04:08:18 PM
Thanks Nefaro.  I hope you're able to join the next game!

I couldn't get the CBM mod working in Linux for some reason.  Now I have to play the whole game in Windows! :(

I'll definitely join the next one.  Just didn't feel like messing with mods lately, at all. 

If someone ends up dropping partway through, I might jump in as a replacement later on if you guys need a warm body.   Just send me a PM if so.

EDIT:  For multi-player AARs, you can also save all the screenshots and type it up/save the blow-by-blow in a word processor.  Then wait until the game has progressed quite a bit before you begin copying & pasting your AAR at the same pace, so it's always far behind the current game situation.

Huw the Poo

Ah, that reminds me - I did get it working in Linux! \o/

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on March 08, 2013, 01:50:15 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 05, 2013, 04:08:18 PM
Thanks Nefaro.  I hope you're able to join the next game!

I couldn't get the CBM mod working in Linux for some reason.  Now I have to play the whole game in Windows! :(

I'll definitely join the next one.  Just didn't feel like messing with mods lately, at all. 

If someone ends up dropping partway through, I might jump in as a replacement later on if you guys need a warm body.   Just send me a PM if so.

EDIT:  For multi-player AARs, you can also save all the screenshots and type it up/save the blow-by-blow in a word processor.  Then wait until the game has progressed quite a bit before you begin copying & pasting your AAR at the same pace, so it's always far behind the current game situation.

you not fancy the 5 day one Nef?

Huw the Poo

Ubercat

Does anyone know what's going on with this? All the pretenders are in and I thought we were kicking off two nights ago.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ubercat on March 08, 2013, 08:28:23 PM
Does anyone know what's going on with this? All the pretenders are in and I thought we were kicking off two nights ago.

Quote from: Yskonyn on March 07, 2013, 03:42:24 PM
Jason, thanks for pointing out the discrepancies in the settings. This might have been caused by changing the map. I will recheck all settings before we start.

Great that we are having some AARs later. I think I need to keep notes about my plans, so maybe I will post them as a form of AAR later too.

The docs have considered me fit for duty again, so thats good. I have to kickoff work with a stopover though, so I would like to request holding off starting the game for another 2 days . Then I can go full steam ahead.

so it looks like tomorrow Uber

were all eager to get going!!

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ubercat on March 08, 2013, 08:57:30 PM
Ah, I missed that one. Thanks.

hope youve got your wizards hat on!!! should be all guns blazing tomorrow

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Right let's talk strategy.  I plan to:

• Recruit lots of soldiers
  • Research lots of spells
  • Stomp all over you weaklings

If anyone thinks they can counter that genius, you're welcome to try!

Yskonyn

Ok guys, todays flight to go and then Ill kick off when I am back home. This is going to be fun!
I will go over the settings before I tell Llama to start hosting.

Just a reminder to be sure: the interval we play turns in, is just a maximum limit. Once all turns are in Llama will host the next turn regardless of time left in the current interval.

Huw, your strategy sounds exactly compatible to mine! Want to marry our pretenders?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."