I am a vapist

Started by Huw the Poo, July 11, 2014, 04:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And you're complaining?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?  BE QUIET GEEK OR YOU WILL WAKE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

*yawn*
Huh...wazzat...? Just dreamt I was looking at the top of Christina Hendrick's head... musta been a pipe dream...  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on July 12, 2014, 10:17:02 AM
And you're complaining?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?  BE QUIET GEEK OR YOU WILL WAKE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao, i guess i was just disappointed in Bob

like when you beat your dad at chess for the first time - you realise hes not infallible

Huw the Poo

I'm currently vaping this bad boy, the Aspire BDC ET-S:

BDC means Bottom Dual Coil, theoretically making it more powerful and capable of producing more vapour than an atomiser with a single coil.  The tradeoff is that BDCs are very difficult to rewick - not that that bothers me since I really can't be arsed to rewick and replacement coils are very cheap anyway.

However, stricken with a severe case of shinyitis, I've just ordered its big brother, the Aspire Nautilus.  Behold:

The reason I want this is that it has a 5ml capacity (that's a lot in vaping terms) and an airflow adjustment ring built-in.  It's also dual coil.  If all goes to plan this should be the perfect vape.  I can't wait. :)

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

How much nicotine as compared to a regular filtered cigarette does one full dose/session of that thing deliver?

When I was an Emergency Tech/EMT back in the 80's we had several cases of nicotine poisoning when toddlers ate shredded cigarettes they got ahold of. Those little kids got very, very sick. IIRC we also had at least 1 adult who ate a few cigarettes on a drunken dare.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

Star: How much for the kit I just posted about?  The ET-S is £6 from my vendor of choice, while the Nautilus is £20.  Once you have a tank you like, you won't have to buy another for a long time (unless you're similarly stricken with shinyitis ;)).  Atomisers are roughly £2 a piece - my vendor does bulk discounts on orders of 5+.  An atomiser should last weeks.  The main recurring cost is the juice.  I get decent juice for £5 per 20ml, which lasts me roughly a week, but premium juice can cost twice that.

After the initial startup cost, vaping is significantly cheaper than smoking, even if you roll your own.

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 12, 2014, 11:25:15 AM
How much nicotine as compared to a regular filtered cigarette does one full dose/session of that thing deliver?

When I was an Emergency Tech/EMT back in the 80's we had several cases of nicotine poisoning when toddlers ate shredded cigarettes they got ahold of. Those little kids got very, very sick. IIRC we also had at least 1 adult who ate a few cigarettes on a drunken dare.

I have no idea how much a single vape delivers, but you can buy differing concentrations and there's obviously nothing to determine the length of a session but yourself.  When I'm at work I'll go out for a vape and spend no longer than five minutes, just like when I used to smoke.  I'll vape for longer if I'm doing a single activity at home, like playing a game or watching a film.  It's pretty obvious when you vape too much though - your body definitely lets you know!

I used to be a fairly heavy smoker so I buy 1.8% juice at the moment which is roughly similar to your average hand-rolled cig.  You can buy juice with pretty much any concentration up to about 2.4% I believe.  Some people gradually go down the scale until they're off the addiction altogether, but enjoy vaping so much they buy 0% juice. :)

Huw the Poo

VAPEMAIL!

My Nautilus arrived.  It is a big bastard, and makes the e-cig pretty top-heavy.  Now that I'm using a larger battery it isn't nearly as bad as when I had a Protank 2, but it's still certainly eye-catching.

First impressions: extremely positive.  It vapes magnificently.  The airflow adjuster is no gimmick; it really works and it's amazing the difference a few mm in diameter can make.  At its most open it's just silly, you're practically vaping air, but the other three settings are fine and I'm sure I'll use them all in various situations.  Combined with the variable voltage selector on my battery I can now customise every vape precisely as I want to.

It really does hold 5ml of juice (more really, but I don't want to overfill it) which means I won't have to refill nearly as often as I was with the ET-S.  The vape is also purer somehow; must be the Nautilus coils which only this tank uses, but my juice is more flavourful now.  It's exceptionally pleasant.

I've had trouble vaping dark juices in the past (they tend to clog coils somehow), but I'm hoping this bad boy will be able to handle the magnificent Johnson Creek juice.  I'm going to order some tonight to find out.

Final judgement is reserved because my Protank 2 worked well for a few hours too, until it all went tits up.  But right now I'm extremely impressed.

ArthurVoit

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 12, 2014, 11:25:15 AM
How much nicotine as compared to a regular filtered cigarette available at ecigfiend does one full dose/session of that thing deliver?

Hello I have been vaping for yeas and I can say it is healthier way to smoke..

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 16, 2014, 03:28:21 PM
Final judgement is reserved because my Protank 2 worked well for a few hours too, until it all went tits up.  But right now I'm extremely impressed.

Well, six weeks on and I still absolutely love my Nautilus!  It's still vaping really well and, more importantly, consistently.  I even managed to convince my father in law to try them out last weekend, and he's a proper old stick in the mud.  Like Bob!

Starfury: have you given these things a try yet?

undercovergeek

do they still emit smoke?

GDS_Starfury

Im going to the store this weekend and see whats what Huw.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 28, 2014, 08:09:01 AM
do they still emit smoke?

We call it vapour (it's one way of distancing ourselves from cigarettes), and yes, great billowing clouds of the stuff.  It's actually even more satisfying than the smoke from a cigarette.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 28, 2014, 08:19:10 AM
Im going to the store this weekend and see whats what Huw.

Nice one matey!  Just ask for a starter kit that they would recommend - or I can give you recommendations if you like, but if they know what they're doing you should be fine.  If you wouldn't mind just one piece of advice - different combinations of battery and tank (not to mention juice) suit different people, so if you don't like it at first, try to resist the temptation to just go straight back to the cigs. :)

undercovergeek

is it legal now for you to sit on a plane, be in a cinema and vape away?

Huw the Poo

My current setup

This is the Aspire Nautilus loaded with maple waffle juice, powered by an Evod VV battery.  If you look closely you can just about make out the gradations at the bottom of the battery - that's for selecting voltage.  You can also see, at the bottom of the tank, a little airhole.  It's sitting on a ring that can be rotated to select four different size of airhole, letting you vape just the way you want to. :)

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 28, 2014, 08:41:49 AM
is it legal now for you to sit on a plane, be in a cinema and vape away?

E-cigs aren't covered by the same legislation that bans cigarettes in public, so currently it's all down to the businesses involved.  Loads of pubs are perfectly fine with it - my favourite pub in town actively defends e-cig use and will tell any patron who complains to piss off.  I can't imagine many cinemas or airlines allowing their use, but there's nothing stopping them if they want to.  I haven't looked into it very much to be honest.