UK Leaving the EU?

Started by BanzaiCat, June 22, 2016, 07:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I admit I had not heard of this until I opened up today's Wall Street Journal (don't judge, I got a year subscription for free) and saw on the front page, "Markets Rise on U.K. Polls." My company, based in Scotland, had a blurb on its Intranet yesterday too about how this would impact the company (and the answer in the article was, there was no answer, just a lot of general vague points, which wasn't very encouraging).

I didn't know that the UK was even considering leaving the EU. Is this a result of a rise in nationalism/anti-immigration? (I'm not taking a stance either way, I'm genuinely curious.) Is the UK facing similar shifts in government/pressures from the people?

I had thought the EU was generally successful, if not for countries like Greece causing a tremendous drag on the overall economy of the whole. But again, my knowledge is somewhat superficial. Anyone care to elaborate, especially those of you living there? What are your opinions/perceptions?

Pete Dero

BanzaiCat

Sir Slash

The Brits can leave the EU but please don't leave the Grogs. I don't want to be the only guy here wearing a dress. Kilt I mean.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

bob48

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 22, 2016, 11:04:51 AM
The Brits can leave the EU but please don't leave the Grogs. I don't want to be the only guy here wearing a dress. Kilt I mean.  ::)

Oh don't worry about that, there are plenty of us.............Ah, oops.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

airboy

All I know is the news reports have the UK bookies leaning towards the UK remaining in the EU - for whatever that means.

Boggit

Don't worry. The Grogs are ok. No issue there. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

Once the general man on the street vibe over there? Brexit or Remain?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 22, 2016, 12:47:48 PM
...wearing a dress...
:knuppel2:
Careful Slash. Judge is a Braveheart at heart... jus go easy on the "dress" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJVFJ2kb62c ;)

Here are a couple of pointers...How to wind up the Picts Scots >:D ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvS6sThWuok

The truth about kilts... ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGNYuXMOk6U

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Why has there been no publicity about alternatives to the Brexit, such as pressuring the EU to reform some of it's more egregious rules? No 'collective bargaining', as it were? This brinksmanship adventure reminds me an awful lot of America politics at it's worst. Which is to say, most of the time.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I suspect the EU is like the Hotel California. You can check-out any time like. But you can never leave.  :knuppel2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Isn't that their tagline?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash