Main Menu

My Mosquito

Started by JudgeDredd, June 24, 2012, 12:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: MikeGER on June 25, 2012, 09:31:14 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on June 25, 2012, 09:20:50 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 25, 2012, 01:17:17 AM
My wife isn't too supportive of my hobby and I'm struggling to see where I can put them. The only place I have is the window and it's getting full.

Hang them from the ceiling!

^with all the love for the hobby... i think that's a little to harsh punishment for J2D's wife  ;)

JD may be the law, but we're the Court of Appeals ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

What I really want is a 1/24th scale F4U - without doubt one of the meanest looking WW2 aircraft, and it would have to be finished as one flown by VMF-214 "Blacksheep". Can't find anyone who makes a kit though.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

do not hang it from the ceiling!
please go back over some of those seam lines with 400 grit sandpaper.  mask the surrounding areas by panel line and sand.
also go to Hyperscale.com and find some masking sets for the canopy.  theyre 8 bucks that will make you not cry later.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

Staggerwing

Here's another place that makes those canopy masks Star pointed out (since his is sold out...  :D ):

http://www.ezmasks.com/aircraft.html (it accepts only checks or M.O.s but there is a list of shops they sell to as well)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

and Ill just throw this out there that if anyone wants a model build just ask me.
it isnt cheap.  Id say a typical 1/35 scale tank is going to cost around 350 to 400 but ya get what you pay for.
Nord's good.
Im better, a lot better  8)

JudgeDredd

Thx GDS - but I have NO IDEA what you mean with the sandpaper

Also - I don't do canopies. I know to you and other who get right into this and all professional like that it may be a cardinal sin - but it really is a very small, cheap hobby for me. I don't have all the kit and don't really plan to - it's too expensive and too time consuming.

You might have a little faint here - but I'm going to tell you something I haven't told anyone else ever - sometimes I leave little bits off because they are just too fiddly and end up with glue all over them and my big fat sausage-like fingers!

In short - I enjoy it - but I think if I was to go to the level of detail I think you speak of then I may well find it a chore.

I did look into a compressor and spray gun set - but I really can't go down that road - and besides, I look at the problem I have painting by hand and wonder how the hell some of those bits are painted by spray!

And besides - I don't know how you can expect me to take anything away from your posts except that damned avatar!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

oh - and yes, it's 1:48 scale
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

By the way - I looked on that hyperscale website - and I'm flabbergasted at the level of detail these modellers go to. Creating "new" pieces because they aren't happy with the parts supplied, putting new parts in (an He-111 didn't have enough detail in the cockpit so he added controls!)

I've always liked the look of spray painted models - but I am way, way too novice to go down that road - and my hands are shaky and my eyes are not so good.

In short - all it did was make me feel bad

Some incredible looking models on there.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

As a small example - these are pictures of a 1:78 Academy Ju-87 from the website with my pic following...

Man - even my camera shots are terrible. In my defence, I am rushing so I can get to work
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

JD, you can also use a liquid masking film. You brush it on, let it dry, use an exacto to cut away the parts you want to paint the frame members, etc), then paint away. Afterwards you peel away the remaining bits over the still-clear 'glass' and voila! It's a bit more work than doing nothing but easier than cutting bits of masking tape. I'd give it a go on the Mossie and then you can decide if it's worth it to go back and do the Stuka and others.

http://www.aero-accessories.com/LMF/LMF-application.html
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I just don't think I have the dexterity for this.

I mean, I LOVE the look of the Stuka - and if I was honest I'd love to do something like that - but he's probably got all the gear. I've got a selection (a decent selection) of brushes and a rubbish blade. My eyesight isn't great and my hands are a bit too shaky.

I'd love some links (if anyone has them) on a good site that mentions techniques - especially if they are for bruch painting as opposed to spray...but I doubt I could ever be anywhere near that good.

I especially love the dark lines where the model has the panel marks...how the hell do they do that?
Alba gu' brath