What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on March 29, 2020, 10:48:21 AM
^Great book. Read Beevor's Stalingrad if you haven't already too.

That was a great book.  Very gruesome and depressing details of the conditions suffered by the men surrounded at Stalingrad.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

RedArgo

Quote from: nelmsm on March 27, 2020, 08:38:58 PM
Read Dune many years ago. Took a while to get into it but in the end I enjoyed it but not enough to read the sequels.

Exactly how I felt.

Gusington

Definitely gruesome and depressing, W8. Probably not the best read for right now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: MetalDog on March 27, 2020, 12:45:52 PM
Dune is a classic and giant of the genre in a lot of circles.  And I don't dispute their assertion.  It's just not for me.  But, I have read it.  And the next two or three sequels just to make sure.

;D
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

ArizonaTank

Just finished "The Collapse of the Third Republic; An Inquiry into the Fall of France" by William Shirer

Shirer was a journalist, but despite this, I found his description of the military campaign to be very good and compelling.

France was betrayed at several levels:

The most senior French generals were just outmaneuvered by the Germans. They never saw Manstein's "sickle cut" through the Ardennes until it was too late. By that time they understood what was happening, they had lost the cream of the French army, and most of the BEF was destroyed or had fled through Dunkirk. 

The military campaign was basically lost in the first two weeks, but it lingered for another four weeks. During that time, Weygand the Commander in Chief of Armed Forces began to agitate for an Armistice. He actively suppressed efforts move forces to North Africa to continue the fight.

The French Prime Minister, Reynaud wanted to fight on. He had support from the military in North Africa and the Governments of the UK and US. But he was betrayed by political schemers led by Laval, a former PM with a political axe to grind.

Laval was an opportunist, hoping for power in a French run province for Hitler, licking up German table scraps. The premise was that Britain would fall as well, so they might as well get on Hitler's good side before Britain could. Laval pulled the strings that set up an authoritarian coup led by Petain. But Laval was the puppet master, pulling Petain's strings.

After the war, Laval was executed, and Petain was given a commuted death sentence. I used to think these sentences were harsh. But now that I understand how they both betrayed their country in its time of most need, I feed the sentences were justified. 

Anyway great book.  But 1/2 political, and 1/2 military.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

airboy

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 07, 2020, 12:38:08 PM
Just finished "The Collapse of the Third Republic; An Inquiry into the Fall of France" by William Shirer

Shirer was a journalist, but despite this, I found his description of the military campaign to be very good and compelling.

The most senior French generals were just outmaneuvered by the Germans. They never saw Manstein's "sickle cut" through the Ardennes until it was too late. By that time they understood what was happening, they had lost the cream of the French army, and most of the BEF was destroyed or had fled through Dunkirk. 

The military campaign was basically lost in the first two weeks, but it lingered for another four weeks. During that time, Weygand the Commander in Chief of Armed Forces began to agitate for an Armistice. He actively suppressed efforts move forces to North Africa to continue the fight.

The French Prime Minister, Reynaud wanted to fight on. He had support from the military in North Africa and the Governments of the UK and US. But he was betrayed by political schemers led by Laval, a former PM with a political axe to grind.

Laval was an opportunist, hoping for power in a French run province for Hitler, licking up German table scraps. The premise was that Britain would fall as well, so they might as well get on Hitler's good side before Britain could. Laval pulled the strings that set up an authoritarian coup led by Petain. But Laval was the puppet master, pulling Petain's strings.

After the war, Laval was executed, and Petain was given a commuted death sentence. I used to think these sentences were harsh. But now that I understand how they both betrayed their country in its time of most need, I feed the sentences were justified. 

I've read Berlin Diary and enjoyed it thoroughly.  I have never been able to complete the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - too much horror and evil people.

I'd never heard of this book and put it on my wishlist.  He is a good writer - but tends to go on too long about things.

Gusington

Reading Ancient Siege Warfare by Paul Kern.

https://amzn.to/2RYA9dE

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

The Swamp Fox: How Francis Marion Saved The American Revolution by John Oller. Should be a good one.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Got it on sale yesterday.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: airboy on April 26, 2020, 12:08:12 AM
Got it on sale yesterday.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

I know that several folks have mentioned "Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway". I am just getting around to reading it.  About 1/3 in and loving it.

https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Sword-Untold-Battle-Midway/dp/B07QFB2BLX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2M15XTILFMN54&dchild=1&keywords=shattered+sword&qid=1588008422&s=books&sprefix=shattered+%2Cstripbooks%2C211&sr=1-2

For a wargamer, it is a great book since it goes into organizational and technical details of the battle that are often glossed over in more general histories.  For example, the step by step discussion of how the Japanese crews rearmed aircraft...brilliant stuff.

I love the fact that the book goes to great length to bring the Japanese point of view. In fact, the book is almost a mirror image, national point of view wise, to other English language books on the subject. I particularly like that the author uses Japanese prime sources such as Japanese carrier flight logs, and secondary sources such as the Japanese Official Records; the "Senshi Sosho".

I spent part of my youth as an exchange student at a Japanese university. The school had a copy of the Japanese Official Records (over 100 volumes). For a class, I wrote a paper on the invasion of Hong Kong and used the Official Records extensively. I always wondered why US authors rarely seem to use this deep resource (it does not seem to have been fully translated is probably the best answer). So I was very happy to see "Shattered Sword" use it. The only other book in English that I have found that uses the Official Records, is Paul Dull's, "A Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GQSY6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If "Shattered Sword" has a downside, it is that is almost too focused on the point of view of Japanese carrier operations. The book freely admits this. But the effect is that it is only a great "second" or "third" book to read about Midway (ie. read one of the more general histories first). Someone who is not familiar with the battle who is only reading "Shattered Sword" as his first Midway book, may wonder just what the Americans were thinking at certain points of the battle.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

al_infierno

Been working through Beevor's Berlin book piecemeal, but I've got Stalingrad next on my list.  O0

Also, I just got around to reading The Old Man and the Sea for the first time, which got me started on a big maritime/nautical reading kick.  I'm emailing local bookstores looking for Patrick O'Brien's Master & Commander for starters.

Aside from the obvious Melville classic (which I've recently picked up and begun reading as well), what are some Grogs suggestions for great maritime lit?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Quote from: al_infierno on April 27, 2020, 10:42:00 PM
Been working through Beevor's Berlin book piecemeal, but I've got Stalingrad next on my list.  O0

Also, I just got around to reading The Old Man and the Sea for the first time, which got me started on a big maritime/nautical reading kick.  I'm emailing local bookstores looking for Patrick O'Brien's Master & Commander for starters.

Aside from the obvious Melville classic (which I've recently picked up and begun reading as well), what are some Grogs suggestions for great maritime lit?

If you haven't already, check out C.S. Forester. There is of course the entire Horatio Hornblower series (from Midshipman to Admiral)...I have always been more of a Hornblower guy than a Aubrey - O'Brien guy.

Lesser known are Forester's various other maritime novels that I have enjoyed such as "The Good Shepherd",  "The African Queen", "The Ship", "The Captain from Connecticut".  "The Good Shepherd" is the basis for a major motion picture with Tom Hanks called "Greyhound".  Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNDIjrGpS0
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

airboy

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 27, 2020, 12:30:26 PM
I know that several folks have mentioned "Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway". I am just getting around to reading it.  About 1/3 in and loving it.

https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Sword-Untold-Battle-Midway/dp/B07QFB2BLX/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2M15XTILFMN54&dchild=1&keywords=shattered+sword&qid=1588008422&s=books&sprefix=shattered+%2Cstripbooks%2C211&sr=1-2

For a wargamer, it is a great book since it goes into organizational and technical details of the battle that are often glossed over in more general histories.  For example, the step by step discussion of how the Japanese crews rearmed aircraft...brilliant stuff.

I love the fact that the book goes to great length to bring the Japanese point of view. In fact, the book is almost a mirror image, national point of view wise, to other English language books on the subject. I particularly like that the author uses Japanese prime sources such as Japanese carrier flight logs, and secondary sources such as the Japanese Official Records; the "Senshi Sosho".

I spent part of my youth as an exchange student at a Japanese university. The school had a copy of the Japanese Official Records (over 100 volumes). For a class, I wrote a paper on the invasion of Hong Kong and used the Official Records extensively. I always wondered why US authors rarely seem to use this deep resource (it does not seem to have been fully translated is probably the best answer). So I was very happy to see "Shattered Sword" use it. The only other book in English that I have found that uses the Official Records, is Paul Dull's, "A Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GQSY6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If "Shattered Sword" has a downside, it is that is almost too focused on the point of view of Japanese carrier operations. The book freely admits this. But the effect is that it is only a great "second" or "third" book to read about Midway (ie. read one of the more general histories first). Someone who is not familiar with the battle who is only reading "Shattered Sword" as his first Midway book, may wonder just what the Americans were thinking at certain points of the battle.

Agree with all of your observations.  I would start with Incredible Victory by Lord as a general book.  Then Shattered Sword is an excellent book from the Japanese side.

The IJN of the 1930s had the most elite naval aviation pilot program in the world.  But they could train very few people.  When they lost most of their pilots after Midway and Coral Sea - their training program was way too slow to fill the slots.  US training was not as good, but was much faster.  Japanese pilot doctrine did not give their pilots much in the way of down time - and they burned out and got shot down on the land based air side.  US also made a much greater effort at pilot recovery than Japan did.  All of this led to the US getting a huge lead in pilot quality/quantity after the Solomon Islands attrition battles.

al_infierno

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 27, 2020, 11:08:37 PM

If you haven't already, check out C.S. Forester. There is of course the entire Horatio Hornblower series (from Midshipman to Admiral)...I have always been more of a Hornblower guy than a Aubrey - O'Brien guy.

Lesser known are Forester's various other maritime novels that I have enjoyed such as "The Good Shepherd",  "The African Queen", "The Ship", "The Captain from Connecticut".  "The Good Shepherd" is the basis for a major motion picture with Tom Hanks called "Greyhound".  Here is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNDIjrGpS0

Thanks for the tip!  I've heard of him and the Hornblower series but haven't gotten around to checking it out.  It's on my list now O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao