Star Wars Empire at War RTS?

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 02, 2014, 05:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on May 02, 2014, 10:31:42 AM
Damn this place...now I'm in the mood for SW love.

Jabba has lotsa lovin to give.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Funny, I just saw this on Steam yesterday.

I have the game on disk.  I like it.  Like others have said, the ground battles aren't all that but the space battles are pretty boss.  I like to auto-resolve a lot of the battles though.

There is a story mode campaign, but there is also a random campaign generator that you can play, where you specify starting money, technology, and size of the galaxy.  So in that sense, there is unlimited replayability.

I plan on picking it up for $6 so I don't have to dick around with the disks anymore.  I highly recommend the game for the price, provided you enjoy fairly simply RTS-type games.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bbmike

I bought it (totally blaming Grim.Reaper). I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but it does sound like fun.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on May 02, 2014, 06:19:42 PM
I bought it (totally blaming Grim.Reaper). I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but it does sound like fun.

At least it was only $6:)  I likely will not be too far behind you...

bbmike

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 02, 2014, 06:25:14 PM

No, it was $33. I bought the whole enchilada.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on May 02, 2014, 06:30:28 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 02, 2014, 06:25:14 PM

No, it was $33. I bought the whole enchilada.  :P

Yikes:)  I likely won't do that, just not sure how they all will perform Windows 8 and whether I can go back to keyboard/mouse to control things:)  Plus, I own a few of the items in the pack.

Anguille

Quote from: Toonces on May 02, 2014, 06:17:45 PM
Funny, I just saw this on Steam yesterday.

I have the game on disk.  I like it.  Like others have said, the ground battles aren't all that but the space battles are pretty boss.  I like to auto-resolve a lot of the battles though.

There is a story mode campaign, but there is also a random campaign generator that you can play, where you specify starting money, technology, and size of the galaxy.  So in that sense, there is unlimited replayability.

I plan on picking it up for $6 so I don't have to dick around with the disks anymore.  I highly recommend the game for the price, provided you enjoy fairly simply RTS-type games.

Just did that...my disks can rest! 8)

jomni

I'd rather get Battelfront.  I asked before: Are there people still doing multiplayer?
But the graphics... ugh...

bbmike

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 02, 2014, 06:34:07 PM
Yikes:)  I likely won't do that, just not sure how they all will perform Windows 8 and whether I can go back to keyboard/mouse to control things:)  Plus, I own a few of the items in the pack.

Well, just for giggles I installed Dark Forces. I played it when it first came out many, many years ago. Steam installed it in seconds. I ran it and noticed that it started under DosBox (never had a Steam purchase do that!). Much to my surprise it ran fine! It looked at lot like I remember Doom looking. But it works just fine so I'm not too worried about the other games running under Windows 8.  :)
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

I guess it wasn't meant to be :(  can't get steam to add to my cart and now I can't even login.

Grim.Reaper

Finally got in and downloaded.....

Nothing like it when you start a star wars game and you hear the famous introduction music and see the scrolling text....sends chills up your spine:)  Get me pumped for more star wars movies!

Ian C

I see the Empire at war pack includes Forces of Corruption. Yes, I'd definitely say buy it. One of the few games that has been on my hard drive since release. If you are a Star Wars fan and a Strategy Gamer, it's a must. There is also a map editor to create custom battles.

Mods:
I recommend the 'FOC ADDON MOD 3.5 FULL By z3r0x''  (http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/z3r0xs_FoC_Addon;77903).

This adds an incredible amount of new stuff (Super Star destroyer, all the ships and forces from the trilogy prequels etc.). Playing a Galactic Campaign (Empire vs. Rebel Alliance) was some of the best gaming fun I've had. Including the Zaan Consortium as a third AI player in the Grand Campaign also adds a deeper strategic element to it (as they corrupt star systems).

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ian C on May 03, 2014, 05:37:57 AM
I see the Empire at war pack includes Forces of Corruption. Yes, I'd definitely say buy it. One of the few games that has been on my hard drive since release. If you are a Star Wars fan and a Strategy Gamer, it's a must. There is also a map editor to create custom battles.

Mods:
I recommend the 'FOC ADDON MOD 3.5 FULL By z3r0x''  (http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/z3r0xs_FoC_Addon;77903).

This adds an incredible amount of new stuff (Super Star destroyer, all the ships and forces from the trilogy prequels etc.). Playing a Galactic Campaign (Empire vs. Rebel Alliance) was some of the best gaming fun I've had. Including the Zaan Consortium as a third AI player in the Grand Campaign also adds a deeper strategic element to it (as they corrupt star systems).

Thank you....where is the map editor to create custom battles?  Couldn't find it in the menus, nor the game directory?